Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:12 pm 
Minnow

Hi guys,
I've been making my holes for over 40 years and need a break. :)
If your father or best friend asked you, what auger should I buy, what would you recommend?
Thanks guys.
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

The Milwaukee fuel M18 drill and the clam plate

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 pm 
Walleye

i just baught a strike master lite 4stroke honda engine 10", it has a lot of plastic parts but i love it. had out in -25 last weekend fired right up. little cold blooded let idle for 1to 2 min ,cuts great , super quiet, no mixing gas.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:22 am 
Walleye

I also have the 10 inch Honda. I love not mixing oil and gas. When I go on a few day trip, its just one jerry can for the ATV and the auger. That being said, when the ice is soft or it did not freeze up nice. Say like in a main lake, where you get chunks that freeze up it are rigid. I wish it had more power in those situations. But again, I like not mixing oil and gas. If mixing is your thing, I do not think you could go wrong with a strikemaster lazer pro. Has a 54cc engine that will rip through any kind of ice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:45 am 
Guppy

Any propane no gas no mixing no gas line freezing, on supper cold days you can run it in your hut with outpowerful fumes

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:08 pm 
Perch

I just purchased strike master 4 stroke 8" this year as well...great auger, I have a permanent shack so redrilling through previous holes constantly. I had no issues with this unit other than a minute or so to let it warm up....no mixing, barely any noticeable fumes.

I got it at a great price though, was on clearance at CT only paid $429+tax....not sure I'd want to spend the full price. I"d go with the cordless drill and K-drill auger if I had to spend over $500.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

wayne wrote:
The Milwaukee fuel M18 drill and the clam plate

I second that clam plate but with the ridged drill from Home Depot, cant beat the lifetime warranty!

I messed up my chuck the first year using a standard drill attachment, the second year my switch shorted out and blew both the batteries ( could have been from moisture ;)) They fixed it both times and gave me two brand new batteries. I've had three or 4 other cordless drills in my lifetime usually replaced when the batteries stopped charging but with that warranty Ill never need another.

heres and old post for the same question:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20045#p112369

might want to add one of these as well, keeps the drill away from the water and your back straight... http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/aug ... nsion.html I picked up a no name one at Sail for about $10. Canadian tire has them from jiffy and igloo but very over priced at around $50.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:34 am 
Walleye

The best $13.99 I have spentin a long time was on the drill adapter for a hand auger. Take the hand auger handle off, replace with drill adapter and any cordless drill. I use my Dewalt and have 2 batteries. 2 batteries will prob drill you 50 plus holes On cold days maybe less due to batteries freezing. It's quiet, no gas and vehicles now have the adapters to plug in charger directly into them if needing to charge batteries. I sail thru 8-10" of ice with ease. New hand auger plus drill adapter for probably under $100 !! I have not even bothered getting my jiffy out this year!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:39 pm 
Minnow

I got one from my family a few christmas' ago from Costco. It is sold as Tempest but made by Rapala.
I have never had an issue with it. I think they retail for around 475.00.
Cuts clean, chews through everything I have put it up against out of the box.
I don't know about warranty, but Costco has always been good for that sort of thing.
It is a 43cc motor and that is/has been all I need.
Just as a reminder, whatever you decide to get, make sure you run it through a proper break-in procedure.
Cheers.

banner ad
banner ad