Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:25 am 
Jumbo Perch

Asked in a post a week or two ago to see if we could keep an open post for ice conditions as guys fished. NO ONE :? posted to it, I think because I mentioned I was from the states. Just seems odd no one else posted on a inquiry for permanent ice conditions throughout the end of the month (end of pickerel/walleye season)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:46 am 
Walleye Angler

I think the problem is there are not that many people out on the ice. I drive over the Bay Bridge every day and I can see from Point Anne to just about Trenton and I see nobody out. The odd day I will see a few people off of herchimer in Belleville. But the people I do see probably are not on the board to comment. Usually on a cold winter with lots of ice when I drive over the Bay Bridge, I can not even begin to count the people that I can see because there are so many out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:16 am 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for the response. We are having our annual planning meeting tonight for our trip up the last week of season tonight and I really don't know what to plan for without help from you guys. We usually stay in Picton or Deseronto, but I don't even know if there is ice safe enough to fish! It looks like some decent cold the first of the week for you guys and then again maybe towards the 10th or 11th, but that looks like it might only hold on to ice, not really make any new. ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! You guys really do have the finest hardwater walleye fishing in the world and we love it! Gladly help you with our tremendous open water season tips, tactics, and locales on Lake Erie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:29 am 
Walleye

I couldn't disagree with your stateside comment more. I think people -including myself- are reluctant to post ice conditions due to the (constantly changing) poor conditions. Who wants to be responsible for that- yeah you can get out off Herchimer dock- ice conditions are skim- 10". Ice info. has been posted daily in other threads- even mine "01/29/06 fishing". I specifically didn't respond to update you because I had other info I wanted to post and assumed you would read my post (of someone who fished recently) that included a very detailed trip. I'm sure no responses were NOT due to us being stateside. When are you comming up? How long? Where are you staying and where are you interested in fishing? To my knowledge, there are only a handfull of places to go with safe ice.

Last edited by greg42 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:06 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Half our group will arrive on the 19th, the other half on the 24th. We usually stay at the Bayview in Desoronto, the other half used to stay at the B&B in Desoronto, but I believe are staying at the Sportman's in Picton. The first bunch will leave on the 26th the second half (my group) will leave the afternoon of the 28th. I know that ice up there is always variable. Last year we fished in spots with a foot of ice and others with 6 inches. Lots of current in that Bay. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my statement and I have read all of your posts, they are greatly appreciated, any help is appreciated. We are interested in fishing wherever we can (safe ice) at this point. Last year we did very well in the narrows (me and my buddy did 3 days, 5 fish over 10 pounds). One guy we fished with caught an 11 pounder in the morning then another 11 punder and two 13 puonders after lunch out of the same hole! You just can't catch quality fish like that in any other place in the world that I have ever fished. I guess ultimately, what the weather does in the next couple weeks will be the ultimate determination, but I just need to be kept abreast of what is safe. Thanks again for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:35 pm 
Walleye Master

tis true about world class fishery.

i was speaking with a customer of ours from Minnesota.

he hadn't heard of Quinte....j

but had heard of the excellent canadian fishing....well, he was first surprised that you could catch any fish three hours from TORONTO, rather than the International Falls.

Then he couldn't believe that we had a day this fall with 8 fish in the boat over 10.5 pounds....until he saw the pictures...

the 14 pound, 28" walleye 'hooked' him....I'm taking him out this fall, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:46 pm 
Walleye

I think being stateside has very little for lack of response,I have fished or tried every weekend since first of jan.I have yet to fish in the same spot twice due to ice conditions.Herkimer seems like a good bet for belleville TODAY,tommorow ??.My brother went to picton for a drive on sat. over the deseronto bridge and says he saw two guys in a BOAT!!!.I realize it would be hard to plan a trip around little info. given.Best bet book now and hope for the best.Oh bye the way how does the U.S.A. hockey team look for the olympics,GO CANADA GO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:18 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I'll be surprised if the USA Hockey team makes it out of pool play! Just sucks 66 retired, I would have like to see our converted Pittsburgher be team captain again for you guys. Why on earth didn't you guys get Crosby? His team stinks like week old eelpout and he is still awesome! I don't know who did your team roster, but he needs to have his head examined; of course, Crosby is still young enough he could have played in the world juniors this year and the Olympics!

Yes, I did hear there was a lot of open water in the area of the Skyway. How was the bay at Picton?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 pm 
Walleye Angler

If you had taken the time to read the other posts you would have known that there is no consistintly "safe" ice .A few people are venturing out on what apears to be safe today but might be open tomorrow.I am not going to tell you that it is safe and have you arrive the next day and go threw on your way out to that honey hole.If we really hated you statesiders we would give you false reports to get you up here to spend your money with no chance of getting on the ice !!!!!Take the time to read the few reports that are coming in and you will get the ice conditions for that day.It is 45 degrees today with rain expected tonight and tommorow so I wouldn't be coming up in the near future unless you bring a boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:27 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I do read all of the reports. I am hoping the impending cold spell that is being called for at least brings some safe ice. Looking forward to making the trip. Just trying to keep up on where it is safe (or safer) and where it is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:02 pm 
Baitfish

Hey MattCann, It just keeps getting warmer up here. Bring a boat just in case. I'd say if you can't find any safe ice in Quinte to keep heading north but things aren't much better there. We have had a very unusually warm winter this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:06 pm 
Walleye

As a "statesider" I had to throw my two cents in ... or is that two Queen Elizabeths? Anyway, before anyone starts challenging the locals who have been fishing or monitoring the conditions and reporting back in this chat room for over two months, one should read through the many threads to get a sense of conditions, etc. Casting stones is best left to skipping across the bay on the lazy summer, not at the very people who have been freely, and very kindly, giving us updates nearly daily. So, stateside dude ... choose your words carefully in the future and you won't offend our friends, neighbors and brothers to the north.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:42 pm 
Walleye

Hey Mattcann, if you have a meeting tonight, I would seriously talk about trying to find someone to rent boats to you, or come prepared for both open & hard water fishing. If you don't want to prepare for both- put out a post requesting guide services for the boat trip. That way you have a plan. I have a feeling there will be ice for up comming weekends, but you may be just (fishing where there's ice- not fish.) (Thats what I do). There are plenty of sponsors at the top of the site- get a hold of some of them. I have email and phone #'s for others if you need. Your "subject" line got some quick responses for ya. Kinda like slammin' yer thang in the door, aint it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:56 pm 
Walleye

Hey mattcann sorry you had to get slammed to get responses but you got them didn't you.If you see one of the sponsor's at top is skevy's and he is a bait &tackle store and reports time to time (weekly) on conditions in belleville & area he seems to get his info. from local guys picking up minnows or getting away from the wife.I think if you can contact skevy's he will respond.Good luck

Post subject: State Sider
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:24 pm 
Walleye Master

............ As a STATE SIDER, who enjoys this board, and sometimes posts here. I would like to appolagize for our poor misguided friend, some just know not what they say or do, and how it can affect views of us as a whole. thank god we are all real men and women here who can read, think and even laugh :) tight lines guys

banner ad