Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:37 pm 
Walleye Master

Hates such a harsh word to..... I try not to use it very frequentily! I hate TV you can get away with that but to hate people its prejudice!

Post subject: Real Information.....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:02 pm 
Perch

As a statesider, I want all to realize how important their post are considered. I will be enjoying a great trip to the north with MattCann. Before we drive the seven or so hours necessary to get to the great BOQ, it would be nice to know accurate the ice conditions are what locations have safe ice. Catching fish is really a bonus. It's nice just to get away with the chance of catching a real trophy. I have been going to the BOQ for at least a week every year for the past six and have brought a total of one fish back to the states (14#er a few years ago). Other than that, everthing has returned to the H2O in good condition, including several dozen over the slot (even before there was a slot). Catch and release is really important to most of us and we plan to respect your resource the best we can. Thanks for understanding and we certainly appreciate all of your help with both updated ice conditions and fishing reports. Rippin' Some Lip in PA.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:18 am 
Walleye Angler

I worked on a house on the island at West Lake yesterday, in the morning I noticed 2 swans froze into the ice, by 2 pm they were swimming around.

Its raining now, if we get a good wind I would expect the lake to be open.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:58 am 
Walleye Catcher

Just a quick report, It is friday at 8:30 AM. I got out on Pete's point on Thursday night. The ice sucks and the guys I spoke to had not had a fish through the ice all week. They moved the huts into shore as there was only 6 inches of soft ice. This rain we are to have over the weekend should really mess the ice up. I will not venture out there untill we get colder weather. I fished herchimer on Sunday night and there was 8 inches of ice. I saw a few people out off herchimer last night but I hear there is a huge crack that is big enough to fit a 4 wheeler in. I have not seen anyone off Point Anne over the past week. This means there is no safe ice. My buddy is going for a drive over to big bay today to see what's happening. I hear the ice at Desoronto is also off and is wide open. Bring your boat. We need a real cold snap to get the ice again but the way things are going I may have to get the boat out( If the wife lets me).
Sheldon Yuke

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:37 am 
Walleye Master

any idea if the glenora ferry launch is usable?

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:32 pm 
Baitfish

Hey, No harm done. He's probably been watching our politicians battling it out in the news and thinks we're all like that. But we're fishermen without borders and don't bother with that kind of stuff.

BTW, It's raining in Ottawa so it must be tropical in the BOQ today.

banner ad
 Post subject: RE: ice reports
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:24 pm 
Goby

I can't thank you guys enough for the information. I'm in Cleveland, Ohio and will drive or fly (if I have to) to find safe ice action. I've fished the Bay of Quinte for several years and would love to get back there but I understand about the iffy conditions.
Stateside guys just need to be patient and do your research. You'll get ice sooner or later--just keep heading farther north!
Bud, the Spindoctor

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:49 pm 
Walleye Master

Only people going out on this kinda ice are asking for trouble, trust me I was on the bay at herchimer and one day off cow island, NO FISH cept perch!!! And not many hits either!! They've moved from this area for a while! The ice was 4inches at cow prolly 2 inches after the rain and heat today! I'd advise everyone to stay off that area! Not worth a few perch! GL and be SAFE! Like Skevy has said in his thread many other areas where you can just cast from shore and have way more fun then jiggin the old hole!!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:09 am 
Guppy

Well being from the US I dont think the locals are holding back info .I have been to BOQ three years in a row.EVERYONE I talked with on and off the ice were very nice and friendly.As for the ice conditions LISTEN TO THE LOCALS and if they say the ice is unsafe then take the wanrning seriously. I live on Lake Champlain in VT and the ice is just as bad here.BOQ has a tremendous amount of current ! One hole may have 6-10 inches of ice but a few steps in the wrong direction and you may find yourself in the drink! I was heading back later in the month but Ill wait til the spring opener.My wife wants to go to BOQ and try fishing out of the boat for our 10th anniversary. Ha got a good one boated there. This site is a wealth of information! But a true fisherman never tells all his/her secrets! Good fishing to all!

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:49 am 
Walleye Angler

if we don't answer a post it's because we "don't know" we'd rather give no information rather than bad information.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

hoser wrote:
if we don't answer a post it's because we "don't know" we'd rather give no information rather than bad information.

Correct hoser...ice is very 'iffy' to say the least...so most people are reluctant to provide info that's may be just as 'iffy'...if you see what I mean :?:

In other words...read no news as bad news (ice wise) 8)

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

banner ad
banner ad