Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:42 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Do you guys think that the impending colder weather will harden/maintain, make new ice? Praying it does so we can make trip at the end of the month. Let's hear some feedback! You guys are more familiar with ice and how and where it forms up there than anybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

I am 2000 miles away from home working, and cannot bet on the ice the way it has been going, judging from the reports that I get from assorted sources. That said, should you be going on a pilgramage to these fabled waters, there are some areas that hold ice longer and can have a person on the ice faster. The trick is to keep watching the board and perhaps the wather stations...and maybe give a few people or shops a call. Do not reply on one source for an area.

A cold snap would have to be a good one and will help tighten up many areas, but good judgement will still be necessary. Three days would be nice at say -15C, and even then.....be careful, especially aound areas like Telegraph Narrows, Deseronto and any area where there is a lot of current. Areas without a lot of current are usually the first to be safe.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but this is like most recent years on the Bay of Quinte, extremely unpredictable. Be safe and watch where the locals go and do not deviate from any path, given the currents that exist in many areas. One trick to knowing the locals is to observe both the licence plates of and where people parked and that most hard core fishing locals have "worn in" gear. Crisp new gear on a group of anglers can be a possible sign of someone not from the area that is familiar with the ice.

Locals typically will be joking around with one another and usually fish the same areas, with the local avids consistently and subtley following areas where more fish are present. The best ones are often the most quiet when they have a fish and again subtley put the fish away in a bucket or shack, or better yet....release any larger fish or trophy (we need more of this). Long term more mature locals also often choose very carefully as to what they say about where they fish and what they use....especially the most consistent avids.

When I am back home, I like to do about 6 phone calls with local avids to establish where the ice is safe and where to fish. I look at this board regularly and it helps a lot to look at various threads. Keep watching and be safe. I am also very respectful as to who I fish with and what they provide me with relative to ensuring that any privacy they desire is maintained.

Just some ideas from a guy that you will likley never meet.

Regards
Donald Stokes

Last edited by Don Stokes on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

The Ziffel: do you think Mr.Stokes knows what he is talking about in regards to "The Locals" ?? he has got some good points there.:-) Oh by the way, big island=11" of ice, Haybay by the old church=8" as of yesterday. Good points about the "Locals" Don.As far as the fishing goes,,, :wink:

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:30 pm 
Walleye

My guides that report to me every day are telling me that the approaching cold weather will make more ice and harden what is already here. If we dont get a lot of snow with it, the exsisting ice will harden up real nice.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

[quote="Don Stokes"]I am 2000 miles away from home working, and cannot bet on the ice the way it has been going, judging from the reports that I get from assorted sources. That said, should you be going on a pilgramage to these fabled waters, there are some areas that hold ice longer and can have a person on the ice faster. The trick is to keep watching the board and perhaps the weather stations...and maybe give a few people or shops a call. Do not reply on one source for an area.

A cold snap would have to be a good one and will help tighten up many areas, but good judgement will still be necessary. Three days would be nice at say -15C, and even then.....be careful, especially around areas like Telegraph Narrows, Deseronto and any area where there is a lot of current. Areas without a lot of current are usually the first to be safe.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but this is like most recent years on the Bay of Quinte, extremely unpredictable. Be safe and watch where the locals go and do not deviate from any path, given the currents that exist in many areas. One trick to knowing the locals is to observe both the licence plates of and where people parked and that most hard core fishing locals have "worn in" gear. Crisp new gear on a group of anglers can be a possible sign of someone not from the area that is familiar with the ice.

Locals typically will be joking around with one another and usually fish the same areas, with the local avids consistently and subtley following areas where more fish are present. The best ones are often the most quiet when they have a fish and again subtley put the fish away in a bucket or shack, or better yet....release any larger fish or trophy (we need more of this). Long term more mature locals also often choose very carefully as to what they say about where they fish and what they use....especially the most consistent avids.

When I am back home, I like to do about 6 phone calls with local avids to establish where the ice is safe and where to fish. I look at this board regularly and it helps a lot to look at various threads. Keep watching and be safe. I am also very respectful as to who I fish with and what they provide me with relative to ensuring that any privacy they desire is maintained.

Regards
Donald Stokes[/quote]

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have no idea what I did to make this appear twice. I was just correcting a typo........

Regards
Don Stokes

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:10 pm 
Goby

hi,don stokes.my name scott im from the states and this will be my third year coming to the bay of quinte,it seems to me,that you have alot of knowledge of were to fish and safer ice conditions,myself and friends fish in front of deseronto,we had afriend fall though last year because ice conditions can change in the currents over night.can you help with some fishing spots that maybe safer than others,were scheduled to come to the bay 22 though the 26 if can help please respond. thankyou,scott.

Don Stokes wrote:
I am 2000 miles away from home working, and cannot bet on the ice the way it has been going, judging from the reports that I get from assorted sources. That said, should you be going on a pilgramage to these fabled waters, there are some areas that hold ice longer and can have a person on the ice faster. The trick is to keep watching the board and perhaps the wather stations...and maybe give a few people or shops a call. Do not reply on one source for an area.

A cold snap would have to be a good one and will help tighten up many areas, but good judgement will still be necessary. Three days would be nice at say -15C, and even then.....be careful, especially aound areas like Telegraph Narrows, Deseronto and any area where there is a lot of current. Areas without a lot of current are usually the first to be safe.

Regards
Donald Stokes
Quote:

banner ad
banner ad