Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 25 hp Merc or Yamaha
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:18 pm 
Baitfish

I plan on purchasing a new boat with a 25 hp motor with electric start and power trim. I haven't decided on Merc or Yamaha. Any recommendations on which outboard is better?

Thanks, Brian

Post subject: Re: 25 hp Merc or Yamaha
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Hi Brian,

I've had a few motors over the years.

I had a 9.9 2 stroke Merc. It work but wasn't great. Then I had a 25 2 stroke Johnson. Not a great motor. The carb kept coming loose and hard on gas.

Then I had a 15 2 stroke Mariner (Merc) with the shifter in the handle. That motor was truly a piece of crap. Always fixing it and hard on gas. If the motor wasn't working perfect it would would pop into gear and stall when I gave it a little throttle to keep it going.

I then had a Honda 20 hp and after that a Honda 40 hp. Both great motors. Very easy on gas and absolutely no problems with the motor.
Parts are pretty obtainable and service manuals are available online.

The problem I found with Honda is finding service on motors over 15 hp. Their dealer network is weak in this area. Anything bigger than a 15 hp has to be serviced by a Marina and I couldn't find one nearby. The dealer I bought my Honda's from gave them up. The next nearest dealer who I found on the Honda website, was actually pushing Mercury.

Recently I bought an Alumacraft Escape and a 50 hp Yamaha from Tweed Lawn and Sports. I can't believe how well made these units are.

The Yamaha is quieter that the Honda, which is really something because Honda's are very quiet. Lots of power and good on gas. There's also a strong service network for Yamaha.

So far the best motor I've owned. I went as far as Waubaushene looking at boats and motors and Tweed was the best price by quite a bit.

If your seriously considering a Yamaha call Kirk at Tweed Lawn and Sport for a price.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:47 am 
Walleye

I've personally never heard anyone complain about Yamaha outboards, guys who have them love them, so I'm sure you would get a great outboard from them, but when your out on the water look around I bet mercury outboard out number all other outboards 3 to 1 and there is a reason for that and its not because they are cheapest because they aren't, its that they also make a very good outboard and the dealer network for them is huge which makes parts and information easily obtainable. So either way I'm sure you wont be disappointed, basically comes down to what colour you like better, and what dealer you like to deal with. I personally use a Suzuki outboard, 300hrs in 3 years never a hiccup, whisper quiet, sips gas, I will get another, not a big dealer network, they are slightly cheaper then the competition. I deal with Loughborough marine and they are great, fast service, and nice people, looks like Belleville sport and lawn is a dealer as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am 
Walleye Angler

Just my opinion I would purchase a Yamaha product. I have had nothing but problems with other brands. Yamaha gets you out fishing and back to the dock every time.
My ATV is also a Yamaha and not even one problem since new in 2012.
Snarfy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 am 
Walleye

In my experiance ( iv owned them all and lots of them) would truly indorse tthe 2 stroke Evenrude E-tec
The performance fuel maintanince self winter foging weight speed is unbeatable. Just look at the Charter boats. I would not even give it a second thought. Canadian owned BRP Evenrude

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 am 
Walleye

Hello, I would not even think of anything but a Yamaha. I have owned every brand even if u can remember the Ted Williams special from Sears ( first boat and motor when I was 12 ). I have fished tournaments and now just serious recreationally, and never had a Yamaha let me down, in fact I have never had to have a single repair ever. I currently have a 2014, 25 hp four stroke electric start with tilt and trim to which I use almost daily and what can I say, I love it. Check out J & P Marine in Belleville, Justin And Paul are great!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:21 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Wisherman,
You would be most happy with a Yamaha.
If you are from the Kingston area you should look up the Performance Shed.
BATMAN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've owned 4 and still have 2 Suzuki's my next will be a Suzuki.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 pm 
Walleye Catcher

thedrifter wrote:
In my experiance ( iv owned them all and lots of them) would truly indorse tthe 2 stroke Evenrude E-tec
The performance fuel maintanince self winter foging weight speed is unbeatable. Just look at the Charter boats. I would not even give it a second thought. Canadian owned BRP Evenrude

agree with thedrifter, evinrude over anything. Love them so much i purchase a Lund ProV and had them take the Merc off and put 2 evinrudes on (G2 and kicker etec). Never had a Yamaha, but rowed most other motors in at least once. The self winterization on the Etec's is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Winterizing an outboard is extremely easy. Any you tube video can show ya. I would buy in this order. Yamaha, Honda, Mercury/Evinrude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 pm 
Walleye Catcher

TheLandshark wrote:
Winterizing an outboard is extremely easy. Any you tube video can show ya. I would buy in this order. Yamaha, Honda, Mercury/Evinrude

---------------------
We agree with "TheLandshark", and the other guys. Notice the 'Pattern'? A ton of Yamaha mentions.

Over the past 21 years we've bought a dozen Yamaha outboards (from 4 hp to 115 hp) from Justin and Paul at J & P here in Belleville, and we're still waiting for the FIRST problem with any of them!

In addition to the amazing reliability, Justin and Paul have been truly outstanding in servicing these products at beginning and/or end of season, or any time when equipment was added. Can't say enough about them.

No worries about Parts, Starts, or anything else. All great. When in doubt, go with the obvious.

We also have to say Brian Hadley et al at Belleville Sport and Lawn have been terrific in our dealings with them, and we hear tons of good things about the Evinrude line these days.

Rgds, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:30 am 
Walleye Angler

had 5 Yami's and 3 Etecs over the years. Yami wins on quality and reliability. But the Etec's are ahead on tech - performance, torque (2 stroke), ease of winterizing. Running a 40 Etec currently and very happy with it.

My 25 Etec gave me some problems when still fairly new - had an Envinrude mechanic/friend tell me he has a lot of Etec's 25 hp and under with service issues, but no issues with the higher hp ones.

Merc? Never.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:27 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I would say yamaha over merc. I run a 40 hp 2 stroke merc. and a 8 hp 4 stroke yamaha kicker .The merc. alway seams to need something and the yamaha only needs gas ,wish my 40 hp was a yamaha.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

Yamaha 100%. i have a 2001 25hp yamaha 2 stroke triple cylinder. Best running motor I've ever used it loves the cold trolls down to 1.3mph and will run all day like that. Never had an issue with it. Paul and Justin at JP marine give it a once over yearly for me. (not that it needs it lol) I fish out of a few boats that run yamaha on both main and kicker and none have ever required service.
Good luck