Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 am 
Walleye Wisdom

dweeb posted a topic about falling in an abandoned ice fishing hole. They were very lucky they weren't hurt.

For the sake of boring the hell out of everyone, I'm going to repost the subject under a separate topic so everyone sees it.

I don't think most people are aware of the responsibility that comes with making a hole. I haven't thought about it recently.

Here's the Criminal Code section for those who aren't aware.

Duty to safeguard opening in ice
263 (1) Every one who makes or causes to be made an opening in ice that is open to or frequented by the public is under a legal duty to guard it in a manner that is adequate to prevent persons from falling in by accident and is adequate to warn them that the opening exists.

Excavation on land
(2) Every one who leaves an excavation on land that he owns or of which he has charge or supervision is under a legal duty to guard it in a manner that is adequate to prevent persons from falling in by accident and is adequate to warn them that the excavation exists.

Offences
(3) Every one who fails to perform a duty imposed by subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of

(a) manslaughter, if the death of any person results therefrom;

(b) an offence under section 269, if bodily harm to any person results therefrom; or

(c) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 242; 1980-81-82-83, c. 125, s. 18.

For a summary conviction you just have to leave an unmarked hole. No one has to fall in it.

Unlawfully causing bodily harm
269 Every one who unlawfully causes bodily harm to any person is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

These offenses would be unnecessary if everyone exercised common sense, but we all know the answer to that.

We use to mark our old holes with a branch and owe it to other people to do it.

I'm going to start doing it again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:38 am 
Walleye Master

keep this up and soon we will all have to take $150 course on drilling a hole in the ice .. personally I have seen a 8 inch hole turn into a 24 inch hole during a winter thaw watched a hole look like a toilet bowl flooding with water and open right up......... How many holes would you say have been drilled in a place like huffs in lets just say one weekend? over the years I have seen things out there that just makes my skin crawl. one thing that remains constant is you just cant fix stupid. and common sense
cant be bought in a store.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 am 
Walleye Master

Yeah, keeping a hole attended or marking it is just unrealistic. On top of that it would be a miracle to prove who's hole it was. We all take a risk when we step on that ice. There are things we can do to minimize those risks. Fish with a buddy, wear a float suit, spud, everyone should have 25 ft of rope in their sled, keep a whistle or small air horn on your person, have a set of hand spikes, research the area prior to going, let ppl know where exactly you plan to fish, and most of all common sense. Bottom line is be respectful, carry your trash out , you don't have to give an ice report but if you know an area is bad, then letting as many folks know as possible is courtesy. I mean how many people carry a length of decent rope that might save themselves or another? A tiny air horn could save your life if you went through or get the attention of someone who is headed to ice you know is bad. Small cheap preventative measures. Be safe and enjoy but remember that no fish or amount of fish is worth a bad situation.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm going to cut a bunch of the ditch sticks and keep them in the truck.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

i fell into someones hole this winter. people with 12" augers should be more careful to mark their holes. not to mention those who drill like 3 holes together and spud out the middle.. ignorant

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Would not believe the criminal section is referring to your typical ice fishing holes. Common sense tells you you should mark your hole before leaving if the weather conditions are warm or snow is predicted. The idea of bring some tall sticks with you to mark holes is good advice. BATMAN

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:19 pm 
Walleye Master

How many of ya have ever marked a good fishing spot with a stick? I know I have.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 pm 
Walleye Master

I am trying to wrap my head around what it would look like showing up to huffs, or potters any of the high traffic spots looking out and seeing 10,000 sticks stuck in the ice lol I know very early ice I've marked my way out on 3 inches of ice with sticks so I stick to the trail I've spudded out getting back really I'm thinking the wisest thing a person could do is pay very good attention to the weather most important the highs and lows remember when it comes to frozen safe ice we need them cold cold nights put snow on top it needs to be even colder..........if you have not had that weather 5 nights in a row you had best treat any ice like its new ice this is most true when it comes to anyplace with a current and that's like 80% of the bay of quinte ...... but by all means if you feel a need to stick your hole please do it even if its for your own piece of mind.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Wow... here we go again...
I am not responsible for driving drunk, the guy who gave me the beer is because he provided it.
I am not responsible for getting that speeding ticket, it's the car manufacturers fault for making the car attain such speed.
I am not responsible for sharding my pants, it was Stag Chili's fault for making the chili.

When are we just going to be responsible for our own actions instead of downloading it to the next guy.

Watch where you step, constantly check the ice and sometimes incidents happen, you went... you're responsible.

Lastly... you are responsible for the boat or motor damage this spring from all the sticks and wood from marking holes .

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:13 am 
Walleye Angler

:lol: :lol: :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

This keeps up we will have to buy a permit before we drill lol.

banner ad
banner ad