banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:39 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

The stream just to the west of what was called the Millhaven Fibres plant is sadly no more.. I remember going out the odd midnight in the middle of january to find 5-10 hardy fisherman out there trying their best to land browns and bows.
I do remember one crew showing up and the one fellow letting everyone know he had to hide away from shore to put his special lure on, (a Panther Martin spinner I found out later)otherwise the fish would be launching themselves out of the water to get at it first.It was hilarious to actually see him pull in a small one on his 3rd or 4th cast!!
Anyhoo,I was under the impression that the water outflow to this outlet stopped due to a change in the manufacturing processes in the plant, not the Cogen.
This had to be 6 or 7 years ago, and it is too bad, but it was a man-made run to start with.
I have seen the salmon in the fall running up the drainage ditch parallel to the north side of the highway, although this was a few years ago as well. It is strange to see these 25-30lb fish swimming in 6 inches of water up a grass-coverd ditch.
johnjyb

Post subject: ruined streems
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:57 pm 
Walleye Master

. It always amazes me to talk to the old timers and listen to there stories on the way things were way back when! . Yet no one wants to admitt they may have played a big roll as to why its no longer good........ ive spent 5 years comming up there now and hear and see alot of things that makes me shake my head and wonder................ I see salmon trying to run up the river in belleville just to hit the first dam and can go no further in low water conditions..... duh! put in a fish ladder and restock. problem solved.......... i see salmon on the american side so thick you can walk on there backs. why? ............ he havent killed our runs by changing the creeks, and have an intensive stocking program in offect!
I watch them put salmon fry in a basket and let them go in wellington harbor....... its funny for one thing the fish are not impregnated with fresh streem water so they will most likly never come back to that area once they hit lake ontario they will follow other fish...news flash lake ontario floods into wellington harbor at least two times a day . you may as well just take the fry out and dump them INTO the lake. AT NIGH when the gulls are sleeping ............ stock the streems there is a chance of them returning......... last year they let them go and the seagulls had a friggen fiest in the first hour..........
Netting fresh water fish for profits is not allowed in the states...... i hear people talk about how good it was even the net guys now tell stories of empty nets where they used to be full...... i have to smile at them and wonder how long you can net fish without a restocking program into affect to repletish the suply...sadly im told 90% of the netted fish go to the states mainly out in california where all the green peacers live! ....... its nice to see the catch and reliece practice catching on, ive been doing it all my life :wink:

banner ad