Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:07 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I want to thank CanadianAngling.net for having this press release on their site.

I hope that EVERY TV Fishing Show reads this and understands: FISH DON"T FEEL PAIN.

Stop saying, 'OH, we don't wany to HURT the fish' They don't feel pain.

I left the part of the press release with the PETA comments, I didn't wish to editorialize.

LONDON - Anglers rest easy. Fish can't feel pain, the largest study into piscine neurology has concluded.

An academic study comparing the nervous systems and responses of fish and mammals has found that their brains are not sufficiently developed to allow them to sense pain or fear.

The study is the work of James D. Rose, a professor of zoology and physiology at the University of Wyoming, who has been working on questions of neurology for almost 30 years.

He has examined data concerning animals and their responses to pain and stimulus from scores of studies collected over the last 15 years.

His report, published in the American academic journal Reviews of Fisheries Science, has concluded that awareness of pain depends on functions of specific regions of the cerebral cortex that fish do not possess.

Rose, 60, said that previous studies which had indicated that fish can feel pain had confused "nociception" -- responding to a threatening stimulus -- with feeling pain.

"Pain is predicated on awareness," he said. "The key issue is the distinction between nociception and pain.

"A person who is anaesthetized in an operating theatre will still respond physically to an external stimulus, but he or she will not feel pain. Anyone who has seen a chicken with its head cut off will know that, while its body can respond to stimuli, it cannot be feeling pain."

Rose said he was enormously concerned with the welfare of fish, but that in the wake of his findings, campaigners should concentrate on ensuring that they were able to enjoy clean and well-managed rivers and seas.

Despite the new findings, a spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which has spent millions on a anti-angling campaign, said: "We believe that fishing is barbaric. Of course animals can feel pain.

"They have sensitivity, if only to avoid predators."

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:20 pm 
Walleye Angler

peta has to stop thinking that we live in a fluffy happy world. maybe someday there will be a rocket big enough to fly all the peta people to teletubby land where they can all be happy. LOL :lol:

if you think about it, I don't think bass would be eating crawfish, I'd imagine eating live crawfish would have to hurt. *pinch pinch, yow!!*

banner ad
banner ad