Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 am 
Walleye Wisdom

My 11 yr old grandson is over for a visit. Bit of a fishing nut. Brought his favourite fishing shirt.

Lives in Deseronto about 5 minutes from the dock (lucky). Pretty proud that he can ride his bike to the Bay and fish by himself.

Started talking fishing stories this morning over breakfast. He asked me, when I was his age, did I ride my bike to fishing spots.

Matter of fact I did. I lived on Stone Street in Oshawa with Lake Ontario in my backyard.

When I was twelve I would get up early Saturdays, back a lunch, get my trusty Raleigh. Tie my rod to the crossbar and tackle box on the fender carrier.

Before my parents were out of bed, I was fishing at the culverts on Hwy 7 at Port Perry. About 30 km oneway.

Those were the days.

My grandson didn't call B.S.. He's a true fisherman.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:37 pm 
Walleye

When I was about 6 or 7 years old and staying at Grandma's for a few weeks, her youngest son, (my Uncle) and his friend took me fishing. They parked the car on the side of the road near a bridge and set me up on the bridge with an old level wind reel (Dacron line) and a short steel rod, hook with an empty corn can of worms. They then walked along the shore upstream to fish some pools there.
It wasn't long before I had my very first fish....Screaming and hollering "I had a fish" they both came crashing back through the brush to see what the commotion was. I was standing there with a 10 inch speckled trout. They fished for a little longer, but we soon left to clean the fish and fry it up in butter.
I have been hooked since that evening almost 64 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

When I lived on the base in Trenton, my friend and I would be on our bikes at o'dark thirty and headed for a particular trib of Cold Creek out by Wooler. Our backpacks would be filled with berries, apples and cherries, picked from the orchards we drove by. With bikes stashed in the long grass, we walked miles in search of brook trout. Nearing lunch time, a small fire was made, fish, lemon and butter were wrapped in tin foil and placed below the coals. With cans of mountain dew cooling in the stream our lunches couldn't have been better. Topped off the meal with a Colt. A few afternoon fish were gutted and wrapped in ferns for the ride back home. Had to stash the Colts in the railway trestle stonework for safekeeping until the next trip.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:33 pm 
Walleye

mitch wrote:
When I lived on the base in Trenton, my friend and I would be on our bikes at o'dark thirty and headed for a particular trib of Cold Creek out by Wooler. Our backpacks would be filled with berries, apples and cherries, picked from the orchards we drove by. With bikes stashed in the long grass, we walked miles in search of brook trout. Nearing lunch time, a small fire was made, fish, lemon and butter were wrapped in tin foil and placed below the coals. With cans of mountain dew cooling in the stream our lunches couldn't have been better. Topped off the meal with a Colt. A few afternoon fish were gutted and wrapped in ferns for the ride back home. Had to stash the Colts in the railway trestle stonework for safekeeping until the next trip.

"Had to stash the Colts in the railway trestle stonework for safekeeping until the next trip." :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:59 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Many times I rode from North Oshawa to the Culverts in Port Perry, don't remember ever catching anything but having an icecream cone at the hilltop was a reward for climbing that hill. Rode everywhere to fish and had a blast, then came the licence and drove everywhere ..and had a blast. I can say I fished every creek within 20 miles of North Oshawa by bike.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:24 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I don't remember catching anything at the culvert's. I probably went there because it looked fishy.

As things turned out, my wife's Aunt and Uncle operated that restaurant on top of the hill.

That hill was quite the deal. Don't think I ever made it to the top pedaling.

Small world.