Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Local Cormorant Cull
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:12 am 
Walleye Master

April 18, 2006

The Grand River Conservation Authority plans to protect the great blue heron population at Luther Marsh from an invasion of double-crested cormorants.

The plan calls for a GRCA staff member, who is a licensed trapper, to shoot and kill adult cormorants in the Luther Marsh Wildlife Management Area before they establish a breeding colony.

The control of cormorants at Luther Marsh is in compliance with the Ontario Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, which permits landowners to take action to protect their property from damage caused by nuisance wildlife.

The plan was approved by the GRCA’s Planning and Operations Committee on Tuesday. The committee’s recommendation will be on the agenda of the full GRCA board at its meeting on April 28.

The action is necessary because, over the past two years, an increasing number of cormorants have been invading nesting sites historically occupied by great blue herons in the 5,200-hectare Luther Marsh, which is west of Grand Valley, straddling the Dufferin-Wellington county boundary.

GRCA terrestrial resource management staff are concerned that the cormorants may have a harmful impact on the significant heron habitat.

A survey of herons showed about 84 nesting pairs in 2000. Over the past 40 years the GRCA has supported the heronry by erecting artificial nesting platforms and moving fallen tree trunks into areas to create suitable nesting sites for great blue herons.

In the past two years the number of cormorants in the Luther Marsh area has risen rapidly, from four nesting pairs in 2004 to 25 pairs in 2005. A significant increase is foreseen for 2006. The cormorant population is growing so rapidly that failure to act this year would make it difficult to control the cormorant colony in the future.

Cormorants have significantly expanded their range within the Great Lakes region in recent years. In the past they typically colonized major coastlines and islands within site of large bodies of water but have recently started to colonize smaller inland lakes. Cormorants have generally adapted to lakes, ponds, rivers, lagoons, swamps and coastal bays. They will build nests on the ground or in trees in freshwater situations.

Luther Marsh, which was created by the construction of the Luther Dam in 1954, is one of the largest inland wetland complexes in southwestern Ontario and is highly vulnerable to an invasion by cormorants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

Glad it's happening in other places besides Quinte. (a cull that is)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I know I'm like a broken record here but.......it's disgusting and crule what they've done to the Brothers Islands.

I was at a friends last night and her view is of the islands....well, what's left anyway. :cry:

banner ad
 Post subject: Cormorants
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

We need more guns. These pests need to be eradicated!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what we need to to on the bay. :roll: :roll:

banner ad
 Post subject: Can You Say 70MPH+++
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:19 pm 
Walleye

Actually,you should see how many of these stupid things ,you can hit,if you have a good windsheid and a helmet,My partner Cooly ,is still a big chicken,when it comes to running 70MPH,into a flock of these things,a couple of years ago,we were running,3 foot waves ,and came apon a flock of about a 100,it was too late to slow down,and Cooly ,dove for the floor,when it was all over,we got about 10 or 20,of them,the problem is,at that speed ,you tend to damage things,a little,we lost the windsheild..(NOTE)..that is why we have a home-made..1/2 inch Lexan Windsheid,specifically,for this manouver,I also lost my cell phone,and a perfectly good pack of smokes,which,we recovered,the depthsounder also got knocked off,ssooooooooo,if your into culling these things,dress properly,SIT DOWN,SHUT UP & HANG ON....Thats my motto....Thanks ROCKET...

banner ad
banner ad