Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:10 am 
Goby

Hi everyone, I'm new here. My 10 year old son and I are thinking of making a long weekend of the May walleye opener (am I correct in thinking this is May 4th for the area where the Trent River meets the Bay?) and going down to fish the Trent River from the dam to the bay. We have a 16' deep-V hull boat with a 40hp on the back as well as an electric trolling motor. Was thinking of using 3 way swivels with a drop weight and either minnows or worms behind them. Any advice on what to bring / wear / etc. would be much appreciated! Also, any tips on a good little motel, places to eat, boat launch, and bait shop would be invaluable. I really want to make this a great memory for my boy. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

Welcome!...... 8) ) There is also the Kiwanis Walleye Derby the same weekend.....it's based in Trenton but incorporates the entire bay, both adult and kid divisions,camping,entertainment, prizes ect…..as for the west end of the bay,0pener...TrentRivers northern border =Dam1 ,Belleville(Moira River) northern boundary=Lotts Dam(for the tournament I believe in Belleville, the northern limit is the is the first bridge(train tracks)...water will still be cold, as will the night time temperatures, perhaps bring extra footwear, extra warm clothing , rain gear ect….both the opener for zone 20, and the tournament, begin at midnight of the 3rd(ie 12:001 Saturday(4th) morning)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:13 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Forgive the attempted Humour here; in our opinion over the past 23 'Openers', with rare Exception, the Weather is usually LOUSY!

The first Reply mentions 'Rain Gear', and He ain't KIDDING.

Possibly in three of those Years we've seen sunshine, but usually things are rotten. In addition, we can count on one hand the number of Walleye personally caught. (THAT may refer more to our own abilities than Reality, but most of the heavy action is closer to Picton than The North End.)

If you prepare for a 'Worst Case Scenario', it should still be a great experience for your Son. One thing's for certain; you won't feel Lonely. Mouth of the Trent gets crowded in a hurry on Saturday morning. The Gear you mentioned should work well for Boat Control, AND navigating near other Folks.

Good luck, and welcome to The Forum! You'll love it, and help is readily available if needed.

FWIW: we aren't trying to scare you off; just be prepared. Last thing you need is a soaked Young'un.

Hopefully the Weather makes us a Liar.~

Rgds, WorDpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:21 pm 
Goby

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated! I've heard the weather can be rough, will have to pack some warm gear. Any advice on the best spot to launch and where to get some bait?

banner ad
banner ad