banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm 
Walleye

I recently bought a fishing kayak (Pelican The Catch 120 - my first kayak) and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggested water for me to hit this spring/summer/fall?

I've had my boat on Quinte (Trenton) for a few years now but haven't had much experience on other local waters.

Low current areas of rivers or decently calm lakes would be great to start learning the yak. I'll eventually have it out on Quinte in some reasonably safe areas when I'm a bit more experienced and the water warms up.

I'm not looking for fishing hot spots. Just water with a fair chance that would be ideal for a kayak. I've already rigged the kayak up with my Garmin Echomap Plus and Panoptix Transducer so exploring will be a highlight for me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 pm 
Walleye

If you want to try immediately and have fish in season. Try Athol Bay. Launch off Outlet Beach with a Park Permit.

Try stick baits in 2 to 10 ft of water. Ive hooked up with my planer board(boat trolling) between the first bar and shore. Should be some Brown trout or even an Atlantic.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Darren if you head north between locks 6 and 7 you should be good. Presently open yr round for pike and panfish. Water has current but nothing crazy if you stay below 7. Parking and launch on Rosebush Rd. was $5.00, You can also park for free up by lock 7 where you can shore launch.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hi again, Darren!

Man, you do switch things around!

We know you're familiar with Trenton Harbour, and the far West end of The Bay should all be in play for your early Yakking Days. Same with Belleville Harbour, and along the North Shore in that area. You wouldn't want to risk returning to Trenton after 11:30 am from that area, thanks to the "Kingston Thermal" making its usual appearance most days.

Good luck with the new venue, Bud. Looks like a sweet setup. Not sure you'll want to test the waters on Opening Day weekend, however.~

Fond Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:13 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Darren
North of Kingston there are lots of lakes that have easy access and easy paddling, biggest thing is to find a lake that works when there is wind . Join a Kayak club, I know there is one in the Kawarthas and I joined the KAAO out of ottawa, we have 8 tournaments lined up for the summer with most lakes south and west of ottawa. There are quite a few members of KAAO in your area as well. I have 2 fishing Hobies, work great and easy to maneuver. There are a few guys on this site as well that fish quinte in Yaks, seen them many times on the water. Good luck with the new acquisition, just a warning it can be addicting....lol
Tim

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the info all! I'll be exploring all of your suggestions soon.

Wordpecker, I've got to keep things interesting! I installed 2 GoPro booms to it as well so hopefully I can get some decent footage this season. I'll be avoiding the rush on opening day but I just booked the following week off. I plan on taking full advantage of the time off.

Tylercurt, I'll check it out. I have the feeling I'm going love kayak fishing. Those Hobies are sweet! I figured the Pelican was a good start, being pretty full featured but good value. Once I know for sure that it's for me, I'll be looking at a pedal drive I'm sure.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by DarrenEm on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:34 am 
Walleye

I'm in Picton and an experienced kayak fisherman. I fish Bay of Quinte a lot, as well as everywhere else. Let me know if you want to fish together sometime.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 am 
Walleye

chesapeake wrote:
If you want to try immediately and have fish in season. Try Athol Bay. Launch off Outlet Beach with a Park Permit.

Try stick baits in 2 to 10 ft of water. Ive hooked up with my planer board(boat trolling) between the first bar and shore. Should be some Brown trout or even an Atlantic.

athol in a kayak is pretty...well it's not where you go on your first month in a kayak lol.

I'd say you could fish the weeds and the shallows just about anywhere you want since your kayak drafts about 6" and if it rubs across a few rocks, who cares.

The kayak is awesome as it can go just about anywhere and you can launch it from just about anywhere. I've fished from a Hobie Pro Angler 12 for the past 5 years and I love it. I bought a boat so 2019 will be the first year I have a choice but I will still use the kayak regularly.

Last edited by Unchained on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:07 pm 
Walleye

Spyman, thanks for the offer. That sounds excellent. I will take you up on that!

Unchained, Lake On The Mountain would be awesome! I've stopped there once just to have a look and always wondered about fishing there. Congrats on the boat purchase.

Thank you both for the response!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:49 am 
Walleye

Agree about all of Athol. Salmon Point, West Point.

Was trying to steer towards Outlet beach. Can stay in water you can stand in. Can literally "beach it" anywhere if needed.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Have a look at Spoonpullers Forum on kayaks - FYI

https://www.spoonpullers.com/forums/index.php?board=38.0

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad