Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

Not much casual attire worn either. Everyone had to look their best when out and about.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

Attachment:
screenshot-www.ruralroutes.com-2020.04.21-16_08_56.png
This is what caused all the ruins at #1 dam on the Trent river. They say the blast was heard as far away as Port Hope.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:28 am 
Walleye Fry

WOW, this is cool stuff! For all the times that I had fished around Foresters Island, I had no idea of the history there! Great photos!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:41 am 
Walleye

Never heard of that explosion in Trenton. (more research for me). The Halifax explosion between a munitions ship and freighter is in everyone's memory books. Thousands of lives lost, and mostly civilian bystanders on shore watching the crisis develop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:33 pm 
Walleye

Below is an account of the explosion. I am unsure of the 2000 acres number, that is a huge amount of area, and could be a typo.

In 1915, the British government financed and built the British Chemical Company on the site of the old Gilmour saw mill. The plant covered 2000 acres and contained 120 buildings, and at the time was the largest ammunition factory in the Commonwealth. On Thanksgiving Day, 1918, a fire started and ignited explosives, which blew the building apart and broke windows in houses miles away. A subsequent fire raged throughout the night. Eva Curtis, the town's telephone operator stayed at her post throughout the night for emergency calls despite glass blowing past her. She along with seven others were rewarded the medal of the Order of the British Empire for staying in the danger zone throughout horrors of the night.

Here's an account from the Perth Courier:

FATALITY IN CHEMICAL PLANT AT TRENTON
One of the most shocking tragedies to effect Perth in recent years was the explosion in the plant of the British Chemical Company at Trenton exactly at 1:45 Friday morning last, in which three Perth boys lost their lives. Philip Doynes MacDonnell, son of Mr. and Mrs. P.J.C. MacDonnell, Perth; Edwin Charles Noonan, son of Mr. H.T. Noonan, Perth, and James Bernard Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Smith, Perth. These three boys went to Trenton only the previous Wednesday and engaged with the Chemical Company, commencing work on the night of the following Thursday. The explosion occurred a couple of hours later after commencing work in a small separate building known as the “solvent, recovery” department. What the cause was has not yet been ascertained, but it was probably due to chemicals forming an explosive compound. Seven men were engaged in the building at the time. They were Philip MacDonnell, Edward Noonan, Bernard Smith, Perth, two McLean boys of Ottawa, S. Mentha Of Quebec, and a boy named Norris, who came from New Brunswick. There was a large powder bin at one end of the building and Philip MacDonnell and Bernard Smith were standing on one side of this bin near a narrow gauge track on which a small car was run, conveying the powder out of the building. The two McLean boys were standing on the other side of the bin and, not so close to it. S. Mentha Was also near the bin. Edwin Noonan and the Norris boy were further away from the bin, standing near the entrance. The small box car was being reloaded with powder when suddenly and explosion occurred, which could be heard for miles around, and a sheet of flame flew in the air over a hundred feet, carrying the roof of the building with it. Fire broke out immediately and no one was allowed near the building until the flames had subsided, for fear of more explosions. The MacDonnell, Smith and Mentha boys, who were either stunned or killed outright, were burned in the building. Edwin Noonan was thrown some forty feet in the air, and the Norris boy also some distance in the air, but both were clear of flames when picked up. The most miraculous escape, however, was that of the two McLean boys, who were near the powder bin. The explosion seemed to go straight up in front of them, and other than being thrown some distance by the concussion and experiencing some severe bruises, they were able to be up and around again this week. Edwin Noonan experienced terrible burns, his body being a mass of burns from the waist to the head and face. He and the Norris boy were injured the most and were rushed to the private hospital maintained by the company. Edwin was conscious soon afterwards and maintained great cheerfulness throughout.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Never heard about the explosion. Really interesting. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

Ever see the cottage on the island in Stoco Lake
https://ourbackyardtweed.wordpress.com/tag/dynamite/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Frank. Very interesting read.
I can't say I haven't seen the cottage on the island, I just never thought of it as historical or took any special notice of it. My eyes were likely fixed on my figure eight...
Next time I am fishing Stoco, I will pay more attention.

Great thread with some very interesting stories.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

A link to some History on Scotch Bonnett.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... kDegQIARA3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

You Tube video on the story of Garden Island off Kingston
Most interesting at least to me as I have spent many hours fishing in the area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJoh9CmOafw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

Two videos Marlbank Cement Plant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmYZt8AUii8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-lTkKLLp8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:41 am 
Walleye Wisdom

This thread has been on of the most interesting reads in a long, long time.

Thanks for sharing...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:10 am 
Walleye Angler

Very good reading. Thanks for the articles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:35 am 
Walleye Wisdom

This has been a great distraction. Better than crying in my tackle box and getting my hooks rusty.

Here's one that I like when I can't get out. https://lighthousefriends.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:43 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

It would be amazing to live in a Lighthouse but only one with an elevator. :-)

I love to fish around the Ducks...it's always intrigued me and the history is very cool.

https://www.loor.ca/copy-of-lo-600-challenge-1

As well, I watched a show and am pretty certain they said that Charity Shoal was created from one of the two meteors that made the big crater in Arizona and are the same impression but cannot find that right now to confirm.

Cheers

banner ad