Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boat launch?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on where to launch my boat. My car isn't all that great for towing and with the water levels as low as they are I am afraid that if the trailer falls off the ramp I might not get it back up. I looked at the hay bay ramp and the Glenora ferry ramp, both weren't great for my situation. So are there any good ramps out there this time of year that a 4cyl SUV can launch a 17ft bass boat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Boat launch?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:50 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Better off with Deseronto or Belleville.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out Deseronto tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Either Belleville Ramp should still be good for your purposes.

Both well maintained; plus large 'n wide. So if in trouble you don't block all access for others. And there's often somebody nearby to help.

Rgds, Wordpecker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:46 pm 
Minnow

In case others are interested, the launch in North Port is not usable (8" drop off concrete is fully exposed). The launch at Big Island is also a no-go unless you draft less than a foot. Just checked deseronto and watched a guy load a 18' Lund and he had to back his trailer tire right up to the edge of where the concrete drops off and he had to work hard to winch it all the way up the trailer.

I'm new to the Bay, only my 3rd year, but I don't understand why they'd let the water down to the point where even an 18' aluminum boat is almost not loadable! I'm not trying to launch a cabin cruiser, just my 20' bass boat (which drafts 17") and I'll barely be able to get'er done. If the water drops by another couple of inches, I won't be able to launch at any nearby ramps at all....

There must be some very wise reason for this to which I'm not privy. If this is normal, as some folks have told me, then why don't the concrete launches get built for normal conditions.... very odd for someone who's new around here. <end of rant>

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:38 pm 
Walleye

What is the ramp at the UEL Park on the Reach like ? Shallow ? Is there a dock or pier ?
Thanks in advance...never used it, but from my direction it's seems a good option.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:35 pm 
Walleye Master

mikeyp wrote:
In case others are interested, the launch in North Port is not usable (8" drop off concrete is fully exposed). The launch at Big Island is also a no-go unless you draft less than a foot. Just checked deseronto and watched a guy load a 18' Lund and he had to back his trailer tire right up to the edge of where the concrete drops off and he had to work hard to winch it all the way up the trailer.

I'm new to the Bay, only my 3rd year, but I don't understand why they'd let the water down to the point where even an 18' aluminum boat is almost not loadable! I'm not trying to launch a cabin cruiser, just my 20' bass boat (which drafts 17") and I'll barely be able to get'er done. If the water drops by another couple of inches, I won't be able to launch at any nearby ramps at all....

There must be some very wise reason for this to which I'm not privy. If this is normal, as some folks have told me, then why don't the concrete launches get built for normal conditions.... very odd for someone who's new around here. <end of rant>

Mike

They drop it in the fall every year and it’s much needed to maintain lake levels through the winter to avoid the catastrophic flooding in the spring. The last few falls they haven’t dropped it enough and it caused problems (in my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm 
Walleye Master

CrowMan wrote:
What is the ramp at the UEL Park on the Reach like ? Shallow ? Is there a dock or pier ?
Thanks in advance...never used it, but from my direction it's seems a good option.

Haven’t used it because it is too shallow for my boat. There is no dock or pier. Glenora ferry ramp or Finkles are the best options from the east, prinyers ramp is usable on the west side.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:10 pm 
Minnow

BigMac wrote:
mikeyp wrote:

Mike

They drop it in the fall every year and it’s much needed to maintain lake levels through the winter to avoid the catastrophic flooding in the spring. The last few falls they haven’t dropped it enough and it caused problems (in my opinion)

I understand and respect the need for effective management of water levels, and, if that's what's happening now, and this is therfore normal or ideal, then you'd think the design of ramps would take that into consideration... that's what I'm not getting. If this is normal, the ramps surely don't reflect this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:48 pm 
Walleye Catcher

mikeyp wrote:
BigMac wrote:
mikeyp wrote:

Mike

I understand and respect the need for effective management of water levels, and, if that's what's happening now, and this is therfore normal or ideal, then you'd think the design of ramps would take that into consideration... that's what I'm not getting. If this is normal, the ramps surely don't reflect this.

water levels are definitely not normal, the crappy launches are a testament to this. Most were put in when the water levels were consistent way back... now that 'man' is in control, things always go to the crapper. Unfortunately there is no money available to build or maintain any more of them as all those tax dollars we gave the government are going to COVID marketing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:49 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Sorry lads, I have only ever launched in Picton or by the ferry....is Finkles the one by Bath and close to the gap? Hoping to head there this weekend....thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm 
Walleye Master

MuskieWannabe wrote:
Sorry lads, I have only ever launched in Picton or by the ferry....is Finkles the one by Bath and close to the gap? Hoping to head there this weekend....thanks for the help!

Yes Finkles is just east of the cement plant in bath.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:55 pm 
Minnow

biff wrote:
water levels are definitely not normal, the crappy launches are a testament to this. Most were put in when the water levels were consistent way back...

Exactly! How can the normal, targeted/ideal scenario, be one where you can't launch a low-drafting boat in September!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:57 pm 
Walleye

In checking charts at the US Army Corp of Engineers Great Lakes Water Levels and Forecasts website as Of Sept 18 we are 4" above the Sept long term average. Considering they have been keeping records since 1918, its a far more reliable source of data than Grandpa's memories,
In the 4 years since I retired here, I have never had an issue using the Deseronto ramp, I have a Jeep Cherokee pulling a 18.5ft older "heavy" Deep V hull Crest Liner, I need to get my wheel Fender tops just under water, approx 25"
From Thanksgiving till freeze up, Dec. 6th last year, I fish at least 2 times a week Just have sand if you one of the last boats to pull out

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:54 am 
Minnow

BWHDeseronto wrote:
In checking charts at the US Army Corp of Engineers Great Lakes Water Levels and Forecasts website as Of Sept 18 we are 4" above the Sept long term average. Considering they have been keeping records since 1918, its a far more reliable source of data than Grandpa's memories,
In the 4 years since I retired here, I have never had an issue using the Deseronto ramp, I have a Jeep Cherokee pulling a 18.5ft older "heavy" Deep V hull Crest Liner, I need to get my wheel Fender tops just under water, approx 25"
From Thanksgiving till freeze up, Dec. 6th last year, I fish at least 2 times a week Just have sand if you one of the last boats to pull out

And no issue with your trailer wheels staying on the concrete, not falling of the edge?

I'm going to try and launch there today and will report back here... if I can't launch, I'll take some pics and post them...

banner ad