Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Humminbird 688 problems
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:31 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hello. I am looking for help will my 688ci di Humminbird. Has anyone had issues will using this for ice fishing. It is showing improper depths. Using ice transducer. Any help or ideas are appreciated. Hate to just toss it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

GAP, In the programming did you select the model number for the ice transducer? How far is the depth from what you think it should be? BATMAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

It is way off. And I don't see where you would out in the transducer model. I just select 2d and ice mode. I This is off of boat and I bought the case a few years ago. It used to work. Except for the last few years. Maybe I will try to use my boat transducer to see if that is the problem
BATMAN wrote:
GAP, In the programming did you select the model number for the ice transducer? How far is the depth from what you think it should be? BATMAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've got the same model...bought new about 8 years ago. Use it summer & winter. Never a problem....so far

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

Turk32 wrote:
I've got the same model...bought new about 8 years ago. Use it summer & winter. Never a problem....so far

Do you change any settings for the winter? And are you using the ice transducer?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:13 am 
Walleye Wisdom

A couple of things to check.

Check that your pins aren't bent and plug fully seated. Turn the unit off and try again (reboot). Check the manual for sonar settings, gain, interference frequency etc..

It may be the bottom where you were using it or water conditions. There's a spot on Desert Lake that screws up all my depth readings. Weird.

To test a transducer, you need to try it on a similar compatible unit. Or trying a similar known good transducer on your unit.

If a known good transducer doesn't work and you can't figure out the settings, Humminbird has a great site with lots of useful information, manuals, updates etc.. Also YouTube may help.

Failing all that you can try a reset. I'd read the manual first, not all resets are the same. The Helix 7 had one and if you used it improperly you had to send the unit back for reprograming. I believed they removed that option.

There may be more that one type of reset. You want to use the right one.

If you can't get it sorted out, you could send it for a repair estimate. Not as onerous as it sounds.

Bay Distributors
119 Progress Court,
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
P1A 0C1

Phone: 705-476-6010 - Fax: 705-476-6820
URL: http://www.bwmarineproducts.com
e-mail: info@bwmarineproducts.com

Is a service depot for Humminbird. Great people up there.

George Bishop is the technician. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Easy to talk to.

The turn around may not be quick enough for you for ice fishing. Mine was inside of two weeks but he had parts on hand. You never know.

The repair was way more cost effective than a new unit.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:59 am 
Walleye Angler

No I don't change anything, and yes I use an ice transducer. Good luck !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:57 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks guys for the help. I have spoken to George at Bay before but I may have to send it to him. I will call him again next week.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

GAP, A master reset sounds like something to try. You say it worked in the past. The root of new or intermittent problems is often the battery. If your battery is a few years old you may want to try a new battery. A new 9Ahr 12v battery would cost less than shipping to a warranty shop. Worth a try. BATMAN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

BATMAN wrote:
GAP, A master reset sounds like something to try. You say it worked in the past. The root of new or intermittent problems is often the battery. If your battery is a few years old you may want to try a new battery. A new 9Ahr 12v battery would cost less than shipping to a warranty shop. Worth a try. BATMAN

Thanks! Is the reset you are talking about the "restore defaults"? I have already tried that if it is.

banner ad