Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

I am looking for recommendations for pike lures for Lake O. I had heard that in front of kingston and around RMC was good but I tried wednesday and came up empty. I was casting a large silver williams spoon, white spinner baits, and trolled for a bit with a orange jointed husky jerk. Wind and rollers told me time to head home around 3:30. I started fishing around Melville Shoal for wallleye but that didn't go well either. Maybe just wasn't my day. I tried casting and trolling Tail dancers then trolled earie dearies for the walleyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:59 pm 
Walleye Catcher

You didn't mention Time of Day for startup, but ending 3:30 pm-ish strikes us as somewhat mid-day?

That may well be your biggest problem. Many more catches/hits available early... and/or late in the day, rather than in the middle, right?

You named two real good lures. Given a choice of only ONE lure in the Box, casting Williams Wobblers in various sizes would be among our top choices. Ahead of Husky Jerks, but they'd be up there too.

Hope this helps - TIME OF DAY for sure...

...along with The Golden Rule: IF it's comfy for YOU... it probably ISN'T for the wee Fishies!~

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Woodpecker.

I took my son out and we started fishing walleye at 8:30ish. Stopped at 11 as he had to go so I dropped him off and fished pike from maybe 12-2. Then because the wind came up I fished the north side of Simcoe for walleye.
I can see that maybe my times weren't great but thought I should have caught something. That is why I was questioning my lure selections. I'm used to fishing the back lakes and thought maybe Lake O needed a different approach.
I was in by the RMC yacht club for the pike. Looked like it should be good.

Thanks again for you comments :D

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:47 am 
Walleye

I mostly fish the Waupoos area for Pike. Four best lures have been:

1. Red/white #5 Mepps tipped with a white curly tail grub
2. 5.5" Kietech Swimbait...Electric Shiner colour
3. 4" red/yellow five-o-diamonds spoon
4. Blue/orange 5" Husky Jerk

Look for cabbage weed and fish the deep outside edge. Pike often like a start and stop retrieve with long pauses.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Crowman!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:54 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hey Gap:

We didn't mention Trolling at all, but will stick one Lure in your Head for that purpose.

Our all-time Favourite, dating back to days on western Lake Erie is the Storm Hot'nTot... usually hard to find in these parts - no idea why. US Folks love the things, and for good reason. Just make sure you find the Originals - replicas abound.

Any colour works, but keeping it simple, if you can find a regular size blk 'n white it catches anything that swims. Only issue is the Blade must be kept pristine. Any bumps or bends render them useless. You might give those a try.

Rgds, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

Ha...come on guys. Anything sparkly & shiny, they'll hit !!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:00 am 
Walleye Angler

Pike in open water are triggered by vibration and flash.
Bright sunny days use white or silver with flash and vibration.
Next key is depth in open waters.
Look for the depth of bait fish . In summer look for thermoclime and go below that.
Have fun

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:19 am 
Walleye Angler

The inner harbour from bell island south to the bridge holds lots of pike. In saying that most at this time of year will be in the 2 - 10 lb range but fun for the young lad. Big pike in Lake Ontario are not in the shallows now ( odd exceptions)they are eating well in the big water. If that’s what your after then first two weeks of the opener is best time and you can find fish all along various shorelines of Lake Ontario. The big girls show up again late fall and can be caught in shallower water again at this time of year. You can find them in the big lake but it is more challenging as the season progresses as they are similar to musky in that big fish have big appetites and the big food is in the big lake which means covering water above the thermocline

Good luck!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:09 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Quote From The Turk: Ha...come on guys. Anything sparkly & shiny, they'll hit !!

Reply: You stop picking on The Olde Pharte, Turky-Bill, or we'll demand all our Lures back!!~

Hugs, Wordpecker

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:18 pm 
Guppy

Most of the pike i've caught this year have been on a Lucky Strike Canoe Wobbler 6.5" spoon, 7 diamonds colour. The rest have been on perch flavoured husky jerks and the blue chrome rippin' rap' (on sale right now at @ Sail !) Haven't had the chance to fish Kingston/St. Lawrence yet, spending most of my time near Waupoos, Wellers Bay, and Mallory Bay.

Enjoy!

banner ad