Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:24 am 
Walleye Angler

Finally got out for my first night fish this year on lake 0 last night and the big girls didn't disappoint with 5 nice ones including these 2 hogs. All released to gain a few pounds. For the second time, after trolling 5 to 6 hours, my 60 hp ETEC conked out when we throttled up to get home and just wouldn't run in gear. Even in neutral it sounded rough. A quick change of the plugs and we were all set, but question for ETEC owners out there, why am I fowling so many plugs so quick, when trolling long hours? These plugs might have only had 15 hours on them max.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:23 pm 
Walleye

I had same issue with a 90 etec. I found that if you revi it up every couple hrs it keeps it from carboning up. Not just etec most bigger 2 strokes don't like to idle that long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:54 pm 
Walleye

Not all 2 strokes, I got lucky boat came with a 90hp Yamaha, have trolled 8 hours + for summer salmon or Late Fall walleyes, its an older motor burning regular gas, I add a can of Seafoam once in a while. I change plugs, every 3 years, just because.
Nice Fish BTW, what did they bite on

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:37 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice fish.

Too bad about your motor. Lot's on the internet about the E-tec's fowling at idle. I looked at a few forms and there's all kinds of chats about it. You might find some useful info on line.

Good luck with your motor and thanks for the pic.'s.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:51 am 
Walleye Angler

E-Tech motors were designed with very tight specifications and any deviations often proved to be catastrophic.
That being said, keeping the fuel at prestien cleanliness is utmost importance. And dirt and the injectors will be running lean and melt the piston.
The issue that you are experiencing is the opposite. The idling for very long periods is causing carbon to gather on the plugs.
As stated earlier the E-Tech motors were not designed to be a trolling motor.
If you have a chance have the cylinders looked at with a camera to see how much carbon is accumulated.
Thave you tried the NGK neudinium (sp) plugs.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:29 am 
Walleye Catcher

What fuel are you using? I burn nothing but premium and if you use Sea foam it will remove any carbon. the Sea Foam is amazing stuff.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

Tks for the input. The fish liked the tail dancer. I always use high test fuel with carbon cleaner and ngk plugs. I'll run it high throttle every couple of hours next time and hopefully that's an easy fix.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:44 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Jamie, Even though your engine is 60 HP I would stop using it for trolling. The 60 HP engine would probably serve you better if you always ran it 1/2 to WOT. Use only 100XD BRP oil with premium gas and an additive such as Starton. Motor should also be programmed for XD100. Then get yourself a small 4 stroke outboard that can reliably troll without fouling. It can use a small portable tank and go all day. Good Luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Jamie, I hope you didn't take any offence to recommending you only drive your 60 hp fast. I know this isn't your first time with motor issues out on Melville shoal. The other option is what I used to do. Not sure what trolling motor you have on the front but I had one trolling motor at the stern going and the bow trolling motor also going. The front motor steered and made adjustments in speed. Front trolling motor also had auto setting. Set direction and trolling motor adjusted to keep you on course. Although this setup only worked in moderate winds. Maybe up to a 2 foot chop against the wind. Good Luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

tks Blair, i do use 100/1 with a carbon cleaner and the only trouble i've had is the 2 times it conked after a long troll. i usually don't troll with the 60 but my trolling motor batteries are very tired in year 4 so Im waiting for the spring for new ones. hoping the price of lithiums come down or go on sale.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:49 am 
Goby

big culprit is the oil used and the engine's configuration for oil. Sounds like you use XD100 - which is great - best of the 2-stroke oils for that engine, but will certainly gum up quickly if the engine is set for XD50 or some other configuration as it will burn too much of it, which causes the carbon residue etc...

similar, if the engine is set for XD100, and you start adding other oils into the mix, then that can also cause residue to build up.

banner ad
banner ad