Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:28 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Honda 8 hp seized
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 am 
Goby

:(

I have posted this on a few other sites, basically trying to get info...

I have a Honda outboard that I haven't used very much (1-2 hours max) in the past few years...primarily because of time restraints...which is apparently seized. The oil is black goo, which has clogged the oil filter, preventing any lubrication of the lower unit. I saw the drive shaft and it looked pretty bad. This is the 2nd engine from Honda which has done this, luckily the other one was under warranty still so they gave me a new engine. But, as it stands now it'll be a grand at least to fix and Honda said basically pi$$-ov and read the manual next time. (Which says to change the oil in the first month or after 20 hours which ever comes first etc.) I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with Honda, specifically with late 90's -early 2000 models in that hp range. Last time it happened they agreed it was a manufacturing problem with something (grease?) which clogged the filter, causing the engine to seize.
I could be ignorant about this but I thought if you put fresh oil in an engine which isn't being used, it's pretty much the same a week or year later?? Not sludge like I saw.
Any info or feedback appreciated, Thanks

flibe

Otherwise, I have an extra anchor if anyone's interested

Post subject: oil
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:20 am 
Walleye Catcher

Fiibe,
It is always good to follow what the manual says, even more so under warranty. Oil will break down through nomral usage and when not in use
[storing motor without changing oil]. All engines should have the oil and filter [4 strokes] replaced prior to storage as well as having fuel stabilizer added and run through engine. The engine should then be run dry of fuel for storage. The first oil and filter change is the most important. If the motor was brocken in properly[check owners manual] changing the oil can show exceccive wear on the drain screw magnet portion[ Some small fragments are normal]. It can gum up over time.
Oil is the most important thing for an engine-changing it more often than necessary is never a bad thing....Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:42 am 
Walleye Angler

Could it be engine builders grease that would be placed on all the bearngs and cams at the time of building the motor and washed down at start up only to sollidify in the oil after sitting for a long time making the sludge?

A case of the manual telling you what to do but not why.

Post subject: engine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:33 am 
Walleye Angler

This is a problem with any engine that sits around and doesn't get used on a regular basis. non usage is difficult, especially if it is stored outdoors, even in a shed or garage because of condensation. before using after a period of storage there should be certain checks done, such as removing the spark plug and puting some oil in the cyl and turning the engine over. Gas doesnot last and can gum up. You shoul try and run the engine more often. Follow honds recomedation for long term storage. :? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:11 pm 
Walleye

Flibe, you are not alone. My neighbor has a 25 HP Honda and he had the same sludge due to many carburator problems. Tell Honda that you demand satisfaction or you will go higher up the ladder at Honda or the consumer protection bureau of Canada. Ther is absolutely no way motor oil can turn to sludge after a few hours of use, I don't care how long or where its been in storage. The black sludge must have been there from the factory. If the oil filter was clogged it would not matter because the engine and/or filter itself would have a pressure bypass built in. Motor oil is not a living organism and can't morph itself into anything else but dirty motor oil through use. For the oil to turn to sludge after a few hours you would have had to be running on about 1/4 of the amount that should have been in the engine or there was no water cooling the engine and you ran the engine so hot that it turned to sludge. Tell Honda to give you a new outboard and spending money for your trouble or treaten to expose them for what they really are. A third class motorcycle company and a poor excuse for a tiller pusher.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:53 am 
Goby

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm still pursuing this with Honda (nothing to lose) to see what they'll do, if anything. As you mentioned I'm climbing the corporate ladder, of consumer complaints, so if they have something interesting to say I'll post it later.

flibe

banner ad