Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:32 am 
Perch

Just wondering what everyone's target trolling speed is. in the fall Cottager and I try to slow right down to a crawl. maybe .8 mph or so. anyone else have an opinion? thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:56 am 
Walleye Angler

Kanuck wrote:
Just wondering what everyone's target trolling speed is. in the fall Cottager and I try to slow right down to a crawl. maybe .8 mph or so. anyone else have an opinion? thanks,

It depends on the bait you are pulling and the temperature of the water. Every crank-bait or spoon has a speed where it will have a tantalizing movement to trigger strikes. When starting my day off fishing I usually watch my baits at the side of the boat before sending them out and then adjust the speed until they have a nice action. I take a quick glance at the GPS for approximate speed and then adjust speed through out the day to see what the walleye want. Once the walleye tell me what they want I will try to stay around that speed range.

I have had days in November where I have been running 1.8 mph and others where I am under a mile per hour.

When in doubt, let the walleye tell you what speed they want...enjoy the fall season on Quinte.

-sheldon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:57 am 
Walleye Wisdom

most times we try to troll between 1.5---- to --- 2.0
when we fish east of the ferry in the fall
and the mouth of hay bay
blue
ps
this ain't gospel but it works for us !
good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

I like to keep it at 1.7, it has been quite lucky for me.

Regards,
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:36 pm 
Walleye Fry

The Quinte walleyes spend most of their time in cold water in the big lake so they are not as susceptible to cold water doldrums. I typically start out in Oct going 2.2 to 2.5 mph. I have caught them going 5 miles per hr.

However once the water goes below 40 degrees it is time to go slower. I rarely go less then 1.7 unless it is absolutely a dead slow fishing day and even then ,sometimes the reaction bite ,caused by going faster ,works better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:29 pm 
Minnow

Ha ha, hope that helps you out Kanuck, anywhere from less than 1mph to 5mph. :lol: We had lots of luck last fall going between 1.5mph and 2mph as that was as slow as we could go at the time. Hoping to adjust the trim and maybe grab a drift sock to change it up a bit this year.

Good luck out there!!!

Post subject: speed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:23 pm 
Walleye Fry

Interesting how there is always a little hint of sarcasm from people who are insecure about themselves. The point I was trying to make about speed to this fellow is that if you ask this question, the majority of the time you get the same run of the mill answers, mostly from people who have never tried going any faster than " as slow as possible". The last post emphasizes my point.

When I fished in The Professional Walleye Trail it was THE RULE on the western basin of Erie in the April tourney to go 1 mph or slower. One day the camera boat came by a pack of about 30 boats that I was fishing with the camera boat could not seem to get anyone to hold up fish. ( no-one was catching apparently) The camera guys finally got to me at the other side of the pack and I was the only one who had fish. I had a limit already by 8:30 and I was trolling almost 3 mph....passing the rest of the pack like they were sitting still. The point is to experiment and not to get locked in to emotional reactions and patterns.

Now I know why none of the PWT Pros will contribute to the Walleye Central board anymore. They and I have better things to do than put up with flack and sarcasm from small minds with giant egos.

But hey ...what would I know...I've only had a 100% success rate for 8 years guiding on The Bay for $500 a day, took a 16th in a PWT tourney and appeared in the first real successful TV appearance on The Bay with The Fishing Canada show.....what could I possibly have to contribute?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:23 am 
Walleye Master

wow. 8O

Post subject: Tom,
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for contributing to the board. I would of never guessed walleye at 3mph or faster but now that I think of it I remember the Preacher (Horky) talking about how often he has sped up to 3mph and faster and had luck. It makes me think of salmon or muskie trolling.

P.S. Boat is still sick and and cranks and rods are shined up ready to go 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 am 
Minnow

Sorry if I offending anyone else my last reply to this post.....I was simply making a little joke there, and pretty much trying to illustrate the same point Targa made on his last post....that there is a variety of different answers to every question asked on this board. Targa, I was not commenting on your post specifically, if you'll notice there were others that answered as well. Hence the comment about less that 1 mph. I don't think anyone on the board expects to get one right answer to a question, they expect to get different peoples opinions, and that's what I was trying to provide, with a little humour thrown in there as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:50 pm 
Guppy

I try to cover as much water as possible in the daylight hours, so i'm moving between 1.5 & 2.5 mph,depending on the wind. at night I slow it to around1.0 & 1.8 give or take as weather permits :D

Post subject: TROLLING SPEED
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm 
Perch

FISHING QUINTE FOR THE PAST 25 years I FOUND THE ROUGHeR THE WATER THE BETTER, as far as trolling speed I usually troll 2.0 to 2.8 and I AGREE WITH TARGA, THAT YOU need to find that honey spot when trolling, too many people think walleyes want slow well on lake erie I troll 3.0 with lots of sucess.also the depth the fish are at ,people always thought 10 to 14 ft well quinte is all over the place as deep as a 100 ft. and as far as the comments go we seem to think that we are all pros or fishing a tournament secret lures that anyone can buy, just think how you learned to fish , you asked questions, researched, fishing is a sport , we have a hard time now just to compete with life and work, can we just relax and fish, not worry about the other guy or spout off how good you are. just a note your length of lead determines your speed 200 feet of line 2.5 at the boat maybe 1.5 at the lure. good fishing .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:17 pm 
Baitfish

ON the inland lake I fish in the summer time I often catch the eyes trolling at speeds as high as 3.2 mph. I fish with 3-5 colors of leadcore with Rapala F11 or F13's and sometimes they will only hit lures above 2.5 mph but most days I vary my speed from 2- 3 mph and have had good success.

Sturgeonx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 pm 
Minnow

Quote:
just a note your length of lead determines your speed 200 feet of line 2.5 at the boat maybe 1.5 at the lure.

Why would this be? I saw a show about underwater currents changing the speed of lures below the surface, but would that apply in the boq, or is there another reason?

Release 'em today, Catch 'em tomorrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:21 am 
Walleye

I was thing about that too adbatt. How does the length change the speed?

Are there enough currents to make a difference in speed on the bay, yes in some areas. Last yr. we found a 1.5 mph current in a couple of areas. The speed/temp probe is now a must have on our boat.

Safe Fishing First,
Jack

banner ad