Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:43 pm 
Guppy

hi all,

after several years, I finally have time to go back to fishing this year. I just bought a new rod/reel from Canadian Tire, put a 4-lb line on it over the weekend; getting ready and very eager to try :)

I have not done much fishing in Kingston as I don't have a boat. Can anyone share some information about where, and when, I can catch crappie and perch from shore in Kingston area? When can I expect crappie run in Kingston Mill? Please PM me (or post here) for any tips.

any help is very much appreciated,

Post subject: Kingston Mills Fish
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:26 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I was talking to someone laast weekend and they had been to Kingston Mills and the bottom was black with perch,there's a lot of water flowing now which may slow down the fishing, but it's a place to go.

People also go up Divsions St to Loughboro Lake for perchc and crappie

Lotsa Luck

David aka Superdad

banner ad
 Post subject: Perch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm 
Baitfish

hey chene,

perch are at Kingston Mills but they are small for the most part, 3-6 inchers with the odd one at 7" and full of eggs. Fun with light tackle at any rate....

Michel

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:58 pm 
Perch

where is kingston mill locatied ? i know where the water intake is for the city of kingston ( in front of queens college ) then just to the west is a prison,,and just to the east is a hospital, and east of the hospital is a yacht club,,then the cause-way,and than the fort,,,so where is kingston mill? and waht brings the crappie an perch to this area,,spawn?? thanks for any help on this................bob

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:00 pm 
Guppy

hi all,

this may sound stupid, but where can one get live bait in Kingston? All the small guys are out of business due to the high licence fee. I know there are stores in Odessa and Sydenham, but it is kind of silly if I just need some bait to fish within ktown :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:36 pm 
Walleye

chene wrote:
hi all,

this may sound stupid, but where can one get live bait in Kingston? All the small guys are out of business due to the high licence fee. I know there are stores in Odessa and Sydenham, but it is kind of silly if I just need some bait to fish within ktown :)

I know of none, as you said the small guys could not stay a float. Canadian tire and walmart will have worms but I don't think they have any yet so call first but as far as minnows go good luck.
Fishn-Hunter

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:44 am 
Baitfish

trackerdv wrote:
where is kingston mill locatied ? i know where the water intake is for the city of kingston ( in front of queens college ) then just to the west is a prison,,and just to the east is a hospital, and east of the hospital is a yacht club,,then the cause-way,and than the fort,,,so where is kingston mill? and waht brings the crappie an perch to this area,,spawn?? thanks for any help on this................bob

take Montreal rd (Changes to Battersea Rd North of the 401) to Kingston Mills Rd just north of the 401, turn east and drive about 1km to the locks. Park and walk down to the 1st lock. I've had good success with small red/white grubs.

~Michel

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:32 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Fishn-Hunter wrote:
chene wrote:
hi all,

I know of none, as you said the small guys could not stay a float. Canadian tire and walmart will have worms but I don't think they have any yet so call first but as far as minnows go good luck.
Fishn-Hunter

Hey there FnH,

Kingston is dry for minnow or live bait except for worms. The closest places are Marks in Battersea, which I believe is just as you enter the town and Verona. The latter has 2 - the quarry (I forgot the name) just before you enter Verona and a house, almost across from the hardware store has a sign that they were selling minnows but I've never been there.

It would be interesting to see if the Gulp baits would work well. I picked some up last year, knowing minnows are too hard to get in a pinch around here. I've only used them for ice fishing.

....it's too bad that for some reason, Kingston can't seem to keep bait and tackle shops. Those in the Belleville area have them all :)

I was talking to a guy that sells minnows out of his house, just past Lobourough Lake a few weeks ago. He said this was more than likely his last year and was soon to give it up. Too expensive for licencing, too many courses they have to take and everything is a cash cow to the Gov't. He said he lost over 10k last year just in frog sales when those rules changed.

Cheers

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:35 pm 
Walleye

There is another place in Sydenham that usually has minnows and that is Boundry Bait and Bow between Harrowsmith and Sydenham.
Fishn-Hunter

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:54 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I tried there about a month ago, on my way out for lakers.

There was a big sign that said he didn't have any......the guys house that we ended up at that sold them, said Boundry wasn't going to sell them anymore and was giving up his licence.

FnH.....did you find out differently than what I was told?

Cheers

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

It's too bad the GOV. is regulating them out of business. There nickle and diming us all to the poor house.
As for the fish, I catch just as many on small tubes and grubs.
Good Luck. :) :)

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:37 pm 
Guppy

There is two bait shops in the Battersea area...

The bait shop in the left side just past the SIGN Battersea is
Mark's Bait Shop (613) 353-6799,
There is a large windmill close to the road..

George Fraser is on Dog Lake on 4394 Atkins Lane
(613) 353-6567
Has been around for many years..

They supply all of us guides all summer long.

Give them a call..

Enjoy

Dave

Give a man a fish, feed him for the day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime ------<@III><

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:04 pm 
Baitfish

Canadian Tire sells minnows, or at least they did during Ice fishing season.

banner ad
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:43 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

iceman wrote:
It's too bad the GOV. is regulating them out of business. There nickle and diming us all to the poor house.
As for the fish, I catch just as many on small tubes and grubs.
Good Luck. :) :)

No kidding, you hit it bang on about our Government!!!
The gap is widening, Rich or Poor---> with no middle class.
More government workers with higher pay than the private sector. :x
And the taxes keep going up and up!!!
I wrote the tool Mcguilty about the harmonized tax and so should everyone even though its too late!!!
Teppy

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:01 am 
Walleye Master

pretty sad state of affairs for sure but we are as much to blame for this as the government when you really think about it....... time are hard everyone wants to save a buck. cant really blame a guy, but there is a down the road cost for this and its beginning to show up.
Repala lure at walmart $9.95... same lure at Canadian Tire $10.99. same lure at the bait store $12.99. I guess its natural that you would go to walmart and buy a lure and a loaf of bread. a bait shop cant servive on minnow sales alone my heart goes out to the small guy who tries his hardest to compete but CANT!!!!! how many of you thought $5.00 a dozen for minnows was just way to high this winter??? and now we expect to find minnows in what is considered to be the OFF SEASON.and who do we expect to find them from?? the guy who works the harderst. pays the most, and makes the least!

banner ad
banner ad