Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: safe to eat?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:36 am 
Walleye Master

All you talking about catching trout got me revved up to try this year. I caught a 7 lb rainbow and BBQ'd it up last night and it tasted great. My 3 year old ate it like crazy too. Not to be a downer but I thought I would check the eating sportfish guide for the browns and steelies in this area. http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/water/fishguide/guides.php
We are section 8 in the guide and from what I saw for browns and steelies, I can eat 2 meals per month and noone under 15 should be eating them at all. Granted no data is given for the smaller fish. Lake trout look better with up to 8 meals \month.
Bummer of a reading but thought I would look for any thoughts and\or advice.
Attachment:
trout 003-1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: safe to eat?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:30 am 
Walleye Master

Nice fish you got there bud........ look at it this way if you must....... big fish. is an older fish this means its had more time spent in a polluted envoroment yadda yadda yadda . there is people who still live on there catched and im thinking they havent glowed a brite blue at night yet lol ........ pretty much anything you might do in excess isnt all that good for you so keep that in mind as well .... as for me i much prefure eating pan fish are they less contaminated?? hard to say. but there is much less oil in the fish. way I see it if it taste like the water smells when you eat it id eat much less of it for sure........ one thing you can do to minimize is to remove the latteral line from the fish before cooking or eating..... because most the pollutiants will be found there......... thats just my 2 cents worth im sure a can of pop a day isnt all that good for you either. I know fishing every day is tough on a marrege but ive yet to read a worning in the fishing rugulations about that ...... grizz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 am 
Walleye Master

Grizz,
I agree with you completely and always figured the same. I guess my thoughts are different now that I have the little guys to think about as well. Thanks for the pointer on the lateral line. BTW, I'm having a fresh trout sandwich for lunch today. I'll let you know if I start glowing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:56 pm 
Walleye Catcher

There are reasons why the larger fish contain more contaminants such as PCBs and mercury. These contaminants are not metabolized by most organisms and end up being stored in the fatty tissues, this is called bioaccumulation. As larger fish eat smaller fish they injest their stored contaminants and therefore get a more concentrated dose everytime you move up the food chain. This is called biomagnification. That being said, many of the contaminants are injested if you cook fish with the skin on, I know trout are tradionally cooked this way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

definitly safe to eat...dont feed to pregnant women though. where abouts did you get it if you dont mind me asking?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree with Chuck get rid of the stomach lining, it's the same colour as a mercury ball, every fish has that lining and I never eat that part as it contains more of the mercury and pcbs then any part of the fish! My grandfathers prolly ate more fish then anyone I have ever met and hes still healthy as a fox at 75! Sure he glows some days but I blame that on the WATER!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:09 pm 
Walleye Master

I caught it casting a spoon out into the lake just west of Brighton. I read the article on steelies in this months OOD magazine and thought I'd give it a try. Damned if it didn't work. The thing just nailed it and the fight was on.
Think I'll take take a little more time and remove the lateral line, stomach lining skin it and take a pregnancy test before BBQ'ing up the next one.
Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully others will find this helpful as well.
Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:57 pm 
Walleye Master

I have this conversation with guys in the summer about salmon all the time.

Here are my thoughts, and I will accentuate "thoughts" as most of them aren't based on scientific evidence.

1. The guide to eating ontario sport fish is very conservative as there is the liability factor with putting out recommendations.

2. There are studies that show the benefits of eating salmon and trout out way the negatives.

3. I think everything in moderation is a good moto.

4. There are studies saying you shouldn't do most of what you do. Google "is milk bad for you" there are hundreds if not
thousands of studies that say we should not drink milk beyond infancy and never cows milk. Seriously google it. Read the a few articles. There are tons and most of us drink milk all the time.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm 
Walleye Master

i've been eating fish since i was like 5 and thats 3-4 meals a month, i'm still kicking. so i think the people that right that are way conservative on the amounts they say you should eat.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:06 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Yeah I still eat them too, if we listened to everything the government tells you is bad we'd all be sitting in padded rooms eating sterile baby food LOL.

PS I also drink RAW cows milk, but don't tell the authorities.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:37 am 
Walleye Master

the fish are fine. just DONT DRINK THE WATER!!! lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:17 am 
Jumbo Perch

Charter captains in Port Credit told me to cut off the belly fat and the grey flesh along the lateral line. If the government removed the parts we don't eat (if we're smart) and retested the trout and salmon, the results would be much different. I have been told they take a slice through the complete fish, mash and test the result. Maybe a biologist could be the defining authority?

banner ad