Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:40 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Walleye Stocking
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:05 am 
Walleye

A gentleman told me the other day that the mohawks of the bay of quinte stock walleye in the bay every year to replace what they net and spear. Is there any truth to this??

Post subject: Re: Walleye Stocking
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:31 am 
Guppy

If you saw the quantity of 10-15 pound pickeral harvested (speared) during spawning time, you'd realize there is no stocking program big enough to replace anything near that damage. Each one of these pickeral easily represents hundreds of offspring, you do the math. One pick up truck full of spawners = hundreds of trucks of fingerlings?
Take a walk to the river's edge soon, you'd come away feeling sick about it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:06 am 
Walleye Wisdom

but in reality, anglers do far more damage to the fishery. lot more people out there catchin an keepin the big ol sows than there are out spearing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:33 pm 
Walleye Master

mat one big differance is fishermen pay every year for a licens, and there is a law governing size. and number kept.. and if you choose to put a big fish back thats totally up to the person to do so........... way I see it is every big fish I put back might put a smile on some natives face when he spears it and tosses it up on shore....... I dont want to eat that big fish, I dont want to pay 200 bucks to have it mounted so I put it back......... a 4 pound walleye has just as many eggs as a 10 pound walleye does ........... go back a month ago we had a very good very positive post going about us working with the natives to capture there eggs and restock furtile eggs back into the water with speared fish.. that time would be now but it seems people lost intrest when it came time to actually do it........ Talk is cheap . free here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 am 
Perch

totally un true where ever you heard that from.why would they,. when there is fishing clubs to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 pm 
Walleye Master

Wayne Maracle stocks lots of walleye every year from the reserve. Wish I knew a number but I know its a decent amount. He does this all on his own without funding from the government or MNR. In trying to get permission this spring to work with the natives that spear to milk the eggs and milt and fertilize the eggs and return them to the river, I learned a lot about what I didn't know regarding walleye populations and stocking etc. One thing I learned is Wayne Maracle has a very good reputation among the MNR that I spoke to and the indian community as well as anglers in the know. I don't know him at all but everyone I spoke to spoke very highly of him. So, yes there is an indian on the reserve who stocks walleye.

I was also told by the environmental officer on the reserve that the indians that spear are trained to do exactly what we were seeking to do. That is milk the eggs and milt from the fish they spear, mixing them together and depositing the fertilized eggs back to the river. I need to write a letter to the chief and request permission to work with the natives that spear. They will discuss it at their next band meeting and then let us know to what extent we can work with them. They have had some negative experience with the angling community and are obviously hesitant to work with us.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:35 pm 
Walleye Master

Griz,

I agree talk is cheap, but there are a lot more hurdles then there should be to get permission to do what we had requested. I spent hours both on the phone, driving, and talking to the MNR, and the band council. I sent a few emails back and forth with the environmental officer on the reserve and several phone calls. I was told they already do what we were requesting to do. I hit a brick wall when I was referred to the chief. I have to submit a letter to the chief and wait for them to discuss it at their next band council. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough time to get through all the hurdles this year, but I will pursue it and hopefully something can happen next year.

I think it is a very worthy cause and some very good ground work has been laid. It might be an initiative that has to start small until a trust factor is established and then gradually expanded. I know I didn't post a lot of the progress on here, but I have spent A LOT of time trying to make this happen. It isn't over yet.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:02 pm 
Walleye Master

yep Scott. and I never doubted you for a moment and i didnt want to make it sound like i was pointing any fingers, expessally at you buddy, that wasnt my intentions.......and honistly I did figure that if you wanted to go thru what one might call PROPPER CHANNLES you would no doubt hit walls and hurdles and be slowed down to a crawl seems I was right..... but you my friend do not seem like a quiter either and I do know this stuff takes time.
What I do believe is keeping it simple. keeping it quiet, could or would be a much better way to go... when you add politics we all know what happens....... when you work amoung friends as friends stuff seems to happen right under the noses of people who might otherwise have an issue!
The Natives have taken such a beating that honistly I can hardly blame them for being apprehensive, in our genuine consurnes, but i really have no doubt that what we want to do could be easily accomplished. I mean think about it. We are not asking them to stop. we are not asking them to give us a fish, we are asking them for the spoils that would be dumped on the ground. Maybe I am Nieve but i really dont think all Natives hate all white men anymore than all white men hate all natives, what we are talking here is a better or briter future for all so its a win win on every turn!
I would be willing to drive down to the spearing grounds TONIGHT and talk with someone who is fishing and ask for eggs, and id be willing to bet a paycheck that someone would be happy to give them to me, its just that simple......... I know last year I met a very nice young man and talked to him at the river for over an hour he was a Native and I know with no doubt in my mind he would have given me all the eggs and seamon from every fish he cought! im positive he would have.... He was a Native but he was also a Man and a Very Nice one!
I think you see what im saying.... Im sure Asking would be the right or propper way but if all you do is become stonewalled then why ask. ? why not just do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:25 pm 
Perch

has anyone seen the milking of any pickeral,any where. can someone go to the napanee river ,belleville river ,along the shore of the bay and even the shannonville river wihtin the next few night's before they're gone and let me know if milking is going on.the chances of that happening is pretty slim .yes they even spear along the bay and do really well to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:07 pm 
Walleye Master

Griz,

No offense taken. I re-read my post and it does have a defensive tone. Sorry, comes natural as a married man I guess :lol: :lol: .

Just used the opportunity to update the progress I was making. I will submit a letter to the Chief for his review and hopefully we can build some trust and make something happen next year.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:50 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Thank you for enlightening some of us that didn't know SOMEONE was working hard in the background to keep the walleye fishery from vanishing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Scott should be commended for laying all the groundwork considering all the other things he has on his plate.. There is truth to the phrase " Talk is cheap" Grizz but I was serious when I jumped on the post as I hope all that replied with support were . I even went as far as contacting WFN for starters asking for support and received a favorable response. We're in a holding pattern until the Natives give us the green light. If we happen to miss out this year we can hope for the following year. Fingers crossed.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 am 
Walleye Master

I must appoligize in part with my Talk Is Cheap speach guys it was a pretty wide open statement and lumped in some who really have taken on a challange to make the topic more real and start the ball rolling in the right direction.
Unfortunatly NOTHING is quite as simple as it might sound expessally when it comes to matters dealing with the government, and its many branches of!! then to compile the situation we are pretty much talking about two governments one being the Canadian, the other being the Native.... so its a double whammy im sure making it twice as hard..
Scott. thank you for what you have done thus Far. and thank you as well Monkeyman! I sure hope that we can Band together and make a briter future for all consurned I really do see it as a Win Win situation and for a few it would be very nice if you would bring a more positive outlook on the Native population, and they might be quicker to come around and be more willing to work hand in hand, brother to brother A wise man Many Many years ago coinded the phrase. United we stand, Devided we fall 150 years later this still holds true. and might be more importiant now more than ever with the worlds diversities coming closer together by progress of man. we can only pray that our progress dosnt bring on our own demize thru narrow mindedeness of a few.
Thank you for your work Scott. and thanks to everyone for the positive imput here. as Monkeyman said. lets keep our fingers crossed and take it one day at a time but let us not give up, and show frustration. Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

No offence taken Grizz.

Ass Monkey

banner ad