Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spring Walleye Depths
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:02 am 
Goby

Hello,

I'm new to the board and was hoping fellow members could help me out with something. I was invited to fish a local walleye tourney in the beginning of May with my brother-in-law. He is in Trenton and I am assuming that is where the tourney will be. I have experience fishing big water for walleye on Erie, but have never fished the Bay. Usually on Erie I don't get out fishing for the walley-burgers until late June/July. I'm trying to figure out what gear to bring with me for the tourney as it sounds like my group doesn't have a lot of experience fishing walleye. My biggest question is depth. I'm not sure if I should be bringing riggers, or dipsies, jets or just plain old flat lining. What depth of water are you normally fishing in, and how deep do you find the fish? Are they suspended, hugging bottom, or near the surface?

Not expecting too place too high in the standings, but looking to have a good time and hopefully catch a few fish to bring home. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to divulge the info to the whole board.

HWH :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:08 pm 
Walleye Master

think of it this way. BOQ is pretty shallow for what you might be used to expessally down on the trenton end plan on fishing 16 FOW or shallower things seem early so you will have weeds to work around as well. and about 1000 other boats lol . good luck. go to have fun..... keep that in mind you cant go wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:42 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

usually in spring theyll hug the bottom... sometimes it hard to get them to bite... we got one today while trollin for browns, came off the deep side planer board in about 25 feet of water on a junior thunderstick. was a 5-6 lb male that was already spawned out. took a quick pic an back he went!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 am 
Walleye Catcher

They key to finding them is a good fish finder. I have found them in the derby in 20 feet of water and then I have got them in 4 feet of water. Fish swim and move alot. Walleye's can go 2-3 miles in a night so you never know where they are gonna be. Keep your options open and you will do just fine.
Good luck
Sheldon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 am 
Goby

Thanks guys. I think I know what I'm up against now. Appreciate the info.

Have a safe and prosperous open water season.

Cheers!

HWH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:03 pm 
Walleye

All of my spring fish come from 18-28 fow... A good fish finder will certainly help you out..

Good luck!

banner ad