Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Boat card and vhf radio
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:11 pm 
Walleye

Prince Edward Power And Sail squadron offers the boat pro coarse 6:30-9:30 May 3 +May 10 +exam May 17, Cost $60

VHF marine radio +D.S.C. April 27 +May 4 Exam May 17 Cost $60

Call Dave 613-476-2371

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:02 am 
Walleye Master

why does it cost so much? and then give up 3 weekend days too boot when a person can go on line and do it for I believe 45 dollars? do it at home and have it done in one houre........... Im not saying it isnt a good thing but im also saying its sad that a person who has spent 30 years fishing from a boat now needs to prove he knows how to opperate a boat .....stupid people will be stupid people with or without the card.... saying that we are never too old to learn something new but its still up to everyone to stay up with changes. anyone who has taken that test last year is now not up to date on new regulations passed this year EX. new fire extinguisher codes brought to attention on this board from Shelly seems to me that simple common sence cant be tought,. either you have it or you dont. 1.6 million boaters. 45 dollars each you do the math.......... Id love to see how that money is alligated back into the system apparently none of it went into water levle controuls to insure safe boating lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 am 
Walleye

It takes longer because you learn something, we don't just teach the test, Some of these 1hr. and write the test courses won't answer your questions if its not on the test. This course was originally our kids course that was modified a bit when the card was introduced. The cost went up when they added a 1 year associate membership to the power squadron($39 value)in the hope of raising membership and getting them into our basic boaters course. Compared to the cost off $60 to write the test online with no course time its a steal. We're not in the business of boater cards we've been in the business of "Safe Boating Through Education" for 53 years

Stupid people will be stupid but statistics show the operator card program has been successful in preventing accidents and death by raising the standard of stupid. Some of us at Power Squadron don't like the card program because it draws away from our 12 session basic boaters course and leaves a very low standard.

Your EX, "new" fire extinguisher code is over 10 years old , apparently nobody paid much attention when they wrote their online test or read a safe boaters guide in the last 10 years.

I remember 2 guys having it out at the Bonnet, the one guy claimed right of way because he had been going in this direction for a long time, it was hilarious. There are lots out there that still think sailboats have right of way at all times.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:52 pm 
Walleye Master

well said and I agree 100% never to late to teach an old dog new tricks but it still comes down to checking laws each year to see if there is changes that may apply to one over another I believe any time you are going to sit in a class type discussion group you will learm more than simply reading a book and taking a test.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 pm 
Walleye

Hi all.
60 bucks to learn how you can use your VHF Marine Radio, (licensed) to save your life or make a bad day just a little bit better. Cheap by my standard.
I got my license 10 years ago. I didn't realise that there was a course so I got the manual thinking no sweat. I already have an Aviation VHF license and use it professionally. Wrong. I studied very hard and did very well but it was a tough test.
I mean tough, but I did learn some things. I wish that I would have attended a course as I think it would have been more enjoyable and by extension would have been a better learning experience. I keep the manual in my on board dry box just because.
Most people I know get a Radio to listen to the chatter or talk with friends. That really isn't what the intent is. The intent is to enable direct communication for the purpose of safety.
If anyone has been unfortunate enough to receive a mayday from someone in dire need of assistance and that someone did not know how to communicate with proper terminology and convention, count on plenty of sleepless nights regardless of the outcome.
The 60 bucks might not save your life but it may save someone elses.
Regards, Clark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

Got my card years ago. Gave my name, information and $30 to a friend, who gave it to a friend, who gave it to a guy. I fully expected to have to do some sort of course, watch a video, etc. I was wondering when 'the guy' would call, and next thing you know, my card shows up in my mailbox and I'm officially worthy of plying our waterways. I guess "the guy" didn't want to waste anyones time by making them go through the motions. What's this test thing you guys are talking about anyway? lol ... The system is a joke. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 am 
Walleye

Hi all.
Kevin. If you are reffering to the boater card I would agree somewhat but still no joke.
I apologise as I was speaking to the Radio License which I believe is the topic on this thread and I don't see the joke.
Just for fun though. What would you do if you were on the receiving end of a "mayday" assuming you have a licensed radio? Of course the other question might be," what would you do" if you were the one asking for help with a Mayday or maybe only a Pan Pan.
No Joke , Clark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:19 am 
Walleye Master

In all reality you can teach anything anyone needs to know about a vhf radio in less than 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 am 
Walleye Master

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/radio.htm read this

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:00 am 
Walleye Angler

Clark relax,

I was talking about getting a boaters card without even meeting the guy who was supposed to give me the test! I never even knew his name! LOL - How can a system like this be seen as credible at all? A boaters course might be great, and I hope so, but the government's boater card system is a scam. We will probably need 'a card' to ride a bicycle, or fly a kite someday if the governement can make some money from it.

......btw
The thread subject is: Boat card and vhf radio
My post said, "card" and "ply our waterways"
What would I do if.... I would rely on years of experience and military training as a communications operator, or fall back on radio/SAR protocol I picked up as an MNR enforcement officer patrolling remote locations"

LOL - OUT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:20 pm 
Walleye

The gov. wanted to regulate but no gov. body wanted to set up and do the work so it was put out for private enterprise. Some safety org. took it on and some outfits are in it for the money.

The gov. doesn't make any $ from issuing cards.

If you think about the cost of setting up and renting a hall for a three day event and providing material there isn't much $ left when you provide a decent course. We are lucky to have space donated to us or it would cost more. Some squadrons run courses at a loss.

What do most of the guys screaming cash grab do? I'd bet most got their card online at double the cost and supported the cash grabbers. Those that wanted something out of it would get a little more value out of their $ by investing some time in a course.

I've probably put more than $500 into boating courses and don't regret any of it.

For around 2 1/2 X the cost writing an online test you can get into a good 12 session course.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:58 pm 
Walleye Master

Polly I would definatly agree that in taking a course you will learn more in the long run. PERVIDING the course is given by a good instructer who knows how to keep people intrested ... bottom line is to pass the course you could talk for about 1/2 hour covering the stuff thats actually on the test and people will pass it....... I know the course was offered on line just before the card became Mandatory and it cost $45 bucks. and here is the real kicker they actually gave you three tries to pass it lol ......... whats ironic is that the power squad want people to give up three days on 3 seperat weekends. that to many is a hard nut to swallow its not just the 60 bucks its the drive time. the loss of time . that cost climbs pretty quick when you start adding it up. now force that down a guys throte who has already opperated a fishing boat for 30 plus years . say it any way you want to I still say its a money grab........ and the real kicker is you just cant teach someone common sence.
Now onto the marine Radios....... I find it completely strange even Ironic that something like a radio that is basically a safty device really in actuality requires a licens to own and opperate. i think there will come a time when it might be mandatory to have a radio on the boat and also mandatory to take a course telling you how to turn it on press a button and say Mayday mayday! might as well toss in a course teaching you how to read a map so you can actually tell them where you are in the mayday call .
I gotta say im all in favor of higher education as you can tell by my bad spelling lol . but where is it going to stop?? each and every a hole you see on the 401 took an extensive course in opperating a car and you see how well thats worked out lol . New law in the states if you opperate a boat in water before May 1 you need a life Jacket ON not on the boat. on your body. Great so if I fall over I can live 2 minutes longer as I watch my boat troll off Perviding I dont know what the Kill Switch is for! . 4 guys on the boat all four need the PFD on. I guess they figure not one of the 3 left on the boat is capable of tossing out a life ring .
In NY a 12 year old kid can take a hunters safty course done on a weekend 16 hour course and then they put a gun in the kids hand and say have at it........ I really think you should be able to give a boat course in one long day and walk out with a card in your hand so you can once again opperate the same boat you have opperated for 30 years

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:15 pm 
Walleye

The word I'm hearing eventually you will not only have to take the course, but then go out and demonstrate you can actually operate a boat. Presently you can take and pass the course, but have no ideal how to start a motor let alone drive the boat.

They have it that way for vechicle's and guns, I can see it coming in a few years especially for young boat operators.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:01 pm 
Walleye

That's something we can think about Grizz, doing the course over a single day. We have to meet a minimum standard of I think 6hr for this course so you get a fair bit more than just enough to pass the card. There's 35? questions on the test, CPS has 50 questions to be good in the States so even just to teach the test would take a couple hr.

Grizz The reason for mandatory wearing of pfd on cold water is the reaction of people in cold water. Some gasp down some water and drown, some muscles contract and go straight to the bottom never to be seen again. I have a bud that jumped in to save a girl that jumped in LO in May for a swim, He tells of how his muscles locked up when he hit the water and he just kept sinking, he finally got moving and grabbed her by the hair on his way up or she would have been toast. YEAH, but scared the &^5 out of im, . He would tell you its a good idea to wear a pfc at that time of year.

What I heard was this is by the New York State parks authority, so there were questions as to if they set the state boating regs or if it only applied to state parks or all waters including LO.

Traveller, the thing about bringing in a proper licensing system with hands on testing is how you going to do it ,who's going to do it and who is going to pay for it and who's liable. Cops, Coast guard, and Transport Ca. don't seem to interested. If it's anything like getting a motorcycle license it'll cost around $500. I don't think we are ready for that yet but it could be coming as there is a lot going on in the area of boating safety..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 pm 
Walleye

Hi all.
I am allowed to give the boaters exam online. I have only done it twice in 8 years and it was for friends. I can asure you that they had to perform to a very high standard with me before I allowed them to take the test.

Kevin. You have the training and expertise due to what you say is years of experience and training so I would have to assume that taking the test would be no big deal. Most do not.

The Landshark. With all due respect you are wrong unless you are merely referring to turning the radio on.

Cheers, Clark

banner ad