Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:33 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:01 am 
Walleye

The problem with the vhf course is you have to learn the phonetic alphabet and that takes time. But you can go down and challenge the test on test night, just give Dave a call.

For our friends in NY that don't understand why vhf is so heavily regulated' listen to a CB for a few hours and see if your head explodes. When they started getting 10-4's and good buddies with there ears on in the LO Toronto area when the salmon fishing was in the hay day they started looking for licenses. You might not see a crack down in this area because in a lot of the Quinte area coast guard can't hear us, but they will protect the system from going the way of the citizens band.

Good for you Landshark! After you find a room, and donate your time at a non profit basis, just like we do, you will need course material and maybe a fee for the gov. so your course could cost around $60 I'll ask our instructor just what it cost.

If you keep the cost of your courses too cheap nobody takes you seriously, or they don't expect much.

http://www.usps.org/ Needs you!

I'm not kidding (well maybe a little bit) US power squadrons need members. You should try it, It'll be fun.
(I'll let you in on a something, Some squadrons have $ and could help out in fishing derby's if they had more fisherpeople as members)

Jeee After all this I might have to go in for my DSC upgrade, I'll be feeling guilty if I don't.

Thanks for keeping the post bumped guys.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:57 pm 
Walleye Master

Why does the average recreation boater need the phonetic alphabet? Is this in case we need to drop an airstrike? c'mon? so if i understand you, your saying that people using the radio without the proper terminology is the cause of a needed license. the coast guard has 2 channels that are exclusively for thier use. do they not? let me explain something, all this extra phonetic alphabet hogwash they are trying to make people use is not realistic. sometime less is more!!!! teach them basics and they might be able to remember something. Don't turn it into a physics class, when just understanding a little science is sufficient. Im interested in what percentage of each 60 dollars the govt takes. Also maybe you could tell me about the different class materials that are involved. Also I have already checked into the US power squadron because I want to start conducting vessel safety checks. ;) Also could you find out where the 60 dollars from the radio class goes?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:11 pm 
Walleye Master

Polliwog I appreciate your efforts I just think its the brass above that is not being realistic.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:33 pm 
Walleye Master

Bump............. lol........ actually I do find this an intresting thread. and ive even learned a few things too boot all for free.......... please dont get me wrong I think anything is worth learning and im guessing any teacher wants to do the very best job he can at teaching but i also know that just because someone wants to take rocket science dosnt mean he wants to be a rocket scientist I guess thats why college has 101, 102, and advanced studies... you guys wanna laugh a lil bit... I just bought an ****automatic**** bulge pump for my boat with a float switch , took it out, went to hook it up and it says I need to buy a over ride switch so I can turn it on manually.. lol . I believe we live in a redundant world . oh and lets not forget the 2 amp fuse I had to go buy for the cost of the pump you would think they would toss in a 2 amp fuse so it worked ..... Mayday Mayday Mayday. this is grizzly......... the world is sinking fast! .. OVER!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:45 pm 
Walleye

L.S. There is a course book and CD that sells of the cps sight for $25 so it probably cost the squadron $20 if not $25. The certificate is issued by the gov. so that aint free and I imagine the squadron takes around $5 or $10. Next time I see our instructor I'll get it right.

I think the way it goes is the first night they do the radio stuff and the next is how the new DSC works and the third is revue and exams, written and oral. This course actually draws a pretty good group.

Good luck with those safety checks, I tried doing the courtesy checks here but we get our people checked out to do them and then can't get the paperwork out of trans. Ca. They are thinking July -August boaters not Ice out fisherman and by then I'm way too busy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:49 pm 
Walleye

Oh yeah LS that a life time certificate, Do you have to renew on your side of the lake?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:11 pm 
Walleye Master

lifetime

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 pm 
Walleye

Hi all.
I will agree with West lake and therefore most posters.
I am not selling anything. I have made no money nor will I by attending this or any other Forum.
I was unfortunate one day. I received the May Day and it wasn't good. I was flying an airplane and the person on the other end of the radio did not know proper RT. Four bodies and two decades later I still think about it.
So I guess I can only sum it one way.
Knowlege.
Cheers, Clark

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 am 
Walleye

My first and only plane ride, we heard a woman call into Trenton airbase requesting to land. Trenton proceeded to explain that they were a military base not open to civilian traffic and just as cool as can be she says "well we're on fire"

I would think that when your in a panic mode training gives you something solid to resort to.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:26 am 
Walleye Master

Reading the last two posts makes me think of a few things for sure. one is even if you do hear a mayday often times there is very little a person can actually do other than just listen and feel sorrow for the distressed person on the other end . im sure thats not always the case like in case of a slow sinking boat or someone disabeled on the water needing a tow.
Another thing that comes to mind is the fact that you might seldom ever use the radio that when you really do need it you may have forgotten all the propper protocal in a panic mode and just cry out for help as in the drowning case off of wellington the people who were right there on the boat could not save the man, and im thinking the radio was the last thing they did after all other attempts failed .
I still cant help but think that this is a very Valuable course and I can even see it become mandatory like the boat course its self but why does anyone other than maybe the orginization giving the corse need to make a profit ??? to me that would be the power squadern they should get paid. but not the government because they are the ones who make it mandatory ok maybe 5 bucks to cover the card......... we have teachers. why do we need a book we may never use again once we have the card in our pocket ? this is why I keep refuring it to a money grab everyone wants to make money and the people such as the power squad make the least when they have to do the most

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 pm 
Walleye

Hi all.
polliwog.
You have done a much better job than I on this topic. Training is the key. It costs money and time and none us of seem to have much of either.
I own an 18.5 foot $22,000.00 boat, rigged to the nuts, yet I whine about the $60.00 bucks!
I have asked that the Pro's on this Forum chime in because these are the guys that go out day in and day out. They see the foolishness that goes on and can comment on what they see as the the real threat to safety on the water. They may not want to comment though, as their opinion may go against the grain of some members of this Forum.
The real problem as I see it is that the Governing Body doesn't consult these Pro's. Common sense not really being common and all.
Cheers, Clark

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:26 am 
Walleye Master

Hey Clark. dont sell yourself short bud, you have done a good job here as well its just a pretty tough topic to begin with. I too am suprized there wasnt more input from people but i guess maybe its alot like beating a dead horse.
I think one of the problems is at one time what you are doing was thankfull to say the least once it becomes a requirement and people are told they have to do this or do that it becomes thankless to alot. like why say thank you for something im told I need to do lol .
You did have some input from at least two Captins. or Pro's as you like to call them both great guys with years of experiance on the water. and I think in many ways in there own ways they also fully agree with you in the fact the knowlage gained by taking a course will never come without a reword. and im also pretty darn sure that they both took courses without ever having to be told to take them because of the industry they choose to be in!
Funny you should mention a 22.000.00 boat because mine is 500 set up just the way I like it for fishing, and it makes no differance because they both are aquipted with all the nessassery safty devices mandated by law in order to be on the water . Whats almost Ironic is we all see stupid stuff go on out there on the water or at the docks Not just the pro's hell ive seen them do some stupid stuff also lol and to be honist it really didnt change much once it became required to have a boaters card , or at least I didnt see much change anyways! . and as far as the governing body, I think they have adapted the DONT ASK, JUST TELL attatude. and make a buck doing it!
For the record if I knew for a fact that the power squad made 45 bucks a person on the course, and the government made 10 i would have never said a word but i know thats not the case and thats why its so sad, thouse who do the most make the least thats just wrong on so many levels. Grizz

banner ad
banner ad