Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm 
Walleye

I got a little note today.

The definition of operating a VHF radio was thought to be keying the mike.

The definition of operating a VHF from industry Ca. is now turning it on, so you can't use the I just listen excuse anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:44 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I doubt very much if that will cut down the 'lurkers' on the VHF band.

I wonder which branch of the enforcement group will be checking gor Radio Operators Licenses??

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
Walleye

OPP

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Guiding on lake Ontario since 1982 and i have never heard of anyone being charged ,and have never been checked for my licence myself this could change with the OPP checking boaters cards , pretty tough call to charge someone for a saftey device !

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 pm 
Walleye Master

Ok I will just leave my off and hope no one is calling for help. Seriously wake up to those who want to enforce this. I have never heard of something so ridiculous in my life. Borderline idiotic.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:44 am 
Walleye Master

Isnt this alot like saying you cant keep a first aid kit on board unless you are a trained EMT

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:52 am 
Walleye Master

Or a fire extinguisher unless you are a fireman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 pm 
Walleye

I was going to leave this topic alone, but I'm getting more upset the more I read it. First of all I do not have a license to operate a VHF radio and have had one for over 17 years. I was checked once years ago where the OPP asked to see my license for the radio, I told them I did not have one; the OPP officer said for me to unhook my mike. Since it is held in by three screws I said no I would just unscrew the anntena that it was less of a problem. He said no don't do that just don't use the radio, so in other words I was being allowed to listen.
There has been numerous times that I'm glad I had a radio; two I will mention the first being out at Scotch Bonnet I heard a call from a boat called Rod Holder who was out by the Dog Bone telling us at Scotch Bonnet if we haven't left for the harbour we better get going as a storm was moving in fast. We pulled our lines and had made it part way in when it hit, you could virtually see nothing so it was GPS and contact with boaters that we all made it in safely

The second incident was last year, when I heard a lady who's voice we recognized screaming Mayday on channel 71, recognizing the voice I immediately went to 16 and called Prescott Coast Guard and stated that a person had fallen in and the lady was on channel 71. I was able to give them a description of the boat and approximately where they might be with the boat as the Captain always started fishing in the same area every morning. The lady finally settled down to say she could see Scotch Bonnet and Nicholson Island. I left Salmon Point and headed over and saw the boat over by the mushroom all of the other boats had headed for the Bonnet which was probably 5 miles away. I called the coast guard again and give them the coordinance of where the boat was located. The coast guard boat had left Cobourg and was there within 20 minutes after I gave them the coordinance. (I figure they were less than an hour from the time I made the first call; that sucker can move.)

The reason I'm putting this on here now at no time did Prescot ask me if I had a license and were very considerate and helpful as I was struggling a bit from excitement and concern as a good friend of ours was in the water and probably drowned. This all happened in probably 35 minutes and at no time did I hear anyone else report this accident and there was probably 40 boats in the area. I suspect most did not have a license and were afraid they were going to get in trouble if they made the call.

I'm happy to say I still have my radio, I do know the proper use when calling the coast guard. Hopefully I never have to use it again under these circumstance's but if something like this ever happens please call the coast guard to get help, don't say cheepers I'm not licensed I might get in trouble. Since the accident I've been interviewed probably 10 times by the OPP, not once did any officer give me any crap about not being licensed most just thanked me for making the call and giving them a coordinance to work with.

Last edited by traveller on Wed May 05, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Great story on how a radio is to be used and thank you for doing the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:09 pm 
Walleye Master

Just reading that makes my skin crawl Trav

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

lol,my answer to this is keep a hand held and dont let them see it,its stupid you have to hide a safety unit.if iam in trouble or anyone else iam using it i dont care what they say ill take the ticket.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:07 pm 
Walleye

Same thing happened when Mr. Insley passed away on his boat, his passengers got on the radio and called Insley Help. As Mr Insley was Coast Guard Aux. everyone thought they were calling him and no one answered. An operator that knows his stuff would have answered .

Both cases all it takes is one operator that knows what to do like Traveler did. There's 40 guys that should take the radio coarse and the reason you teach your passengers how to use it.

I'm surprised CG didn't ask for your license so they could send you an accommodation for your help.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:40 pm 
Walleye Master

Man this debate could really go on forever couldnt it??? if your in jepordy of being fined for having a radio and no licens its very likly most will not have a radio on board so its a no win really I mean I see the good and bad on all sides on one hand if you dont own one you have nothing to worry about . or do you?? on the other hand, you lay out 150 bucks for the set up..... and more for a card that says its ok to use what you just bough and paid for ....... I really think a radio is missused alot people like to use it like a cell phone, or a wakki talki and thats just not what its intended for but also im thinking thats why there is a protocal and channles set aside for chat and banter instead of cloging up the one channle that needs to be free for calls of help . its still pretty ironic when you think about it that they want to scare people away from having a VHF on board when its really a life saving tool for you or that of others who need help........ I guess saying all that I myself think they need to find a way to one condence the course so it dosnt take 3 classes and 3 weekends to get thru it..... and I would still like to see the government forgo there profit and let the profit go to the people who teach the course like the power squad Honistly im really suprized thay dont make a radio part of the safty check list and mandatory on a boat expessally out on the big lake like lets say no matter the size of the boat if your more than say 3 miles off shore its mandatory to have a radio........

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:07 pm 
Walleye

They don't want to scare you away Grizz. The idea is to have everyone an active, useful working part of a worldwide safety net. All that chatter is not abusing the service as long as they're on the right channels and give up the channel when someone takes control for more important use.

With the new digital response radios out as people upgrade you should be able to pick up a real good used radio for a song.

Just for your info Grizz , You can make your call for help on any working channel, your not limited to 16. As in Travelers case. If the Lady had called on 16 the only local boats that would hear it would be monitoring 16 or have scanning ability to monitor 16 and 71. With most if not all the boats out there monitoring 71, that would be the best channel to get your fastest response, She did nothing wrong by calling a Mayday on 71, it won't get you CG but she had a better chance of getting the closest boat.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:42 pm 
Walleye

To be fair the lady only knew how to call on that channel as that was the one they were monitoring. The boat was brand new the first time on the water she had no chance to do anything. There was a ton of mistakes made not all of them on the boat. I could go on but it is not going to bring Chris back so we will leave it alone.

I will say though all Captain's please when your taking anyone on your boat make your passengers aware of all safety devices, don't presume anything. Presently all of us at our camp wear the inflatable life preservers when were on the water. The Coast guard and police wear them that should tell you something, trust me when I say I don't even notice it on.

banner ad