Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Opening day
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:23 am 
Walleye Master

they are all nice birds........ Dog bummer on the beard I have to say id have shot it, my eye sight isnt as good as it used to be and I hate to wear glasses in the turkey woods so I always look for a full fan before I pull the trigger and thats exactly what your bird has lol ....... ive been told that sometimes they freeze and break off in the winter time so I guess thats what happened to yours. I did that about two years ago, nice big bird with abut a 4 inch beard lol oh well stuff happens and they all eat the same lol
I went out yesterday and called in one jake woods were quiet from rain and the wind kicked up but I had action.
I knew they would gobble this morning and boy did they ever called in two jakes this morning. and worked another bird for about 2 hours he gave me the run around...... man I love thouse kind of birds. the harder the better if you ask me, I had to give up so I can get my but to work but allas. tomarrow is another day lol nice job to all the guys who have posted birds..... its only gonna get better. tougher for sure but thats what makes it better

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good bird Riverdogg must have had beard rot as he should have had a 8-9 1/2" beard with those 3/4" spurs. Was it a light color brown at the end of the short beard? I'll be back to Quinte to fish the tourney May 15-16th. Staying at Green Point near Deseronto.
Back to the turkeys a few more days this week. Need to get a couple for my brother as he missed one opening morning.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:10 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Yeah, Uncle D. says this same bird had an 8 inch beard a month ago. I didn't really notice any wierd coloration on it. Oh well, can't eat the beard anyway. It was a fun hunt. We also will be on Quinte from May 14-17th. We rented a cabin and 2 boats at Merland Park. The classes of 1989 and 1990 from ACS will be well represented. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and the bite is on. Maybe we will see you and Mr. Stratton(Walleye) out there.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

Riverdogg,
Was the beard on your bird light brown on the tip? That bird should have had at least an eight inch beard with that length spurs. I shot one with most of the beard gone and looked it up. I think they called it beard rot Nice mature bird anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:25 am 
Walleye Angler

We'll be out there. my brother short a turkey yesterday! Raining this morning but I'm still heading out.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:18 am 
Walleye Angler

Hung this one from it's 1 1/8" hooks.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:42 am 
Walleye Fingerling

nice.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:32 pm 
Baitfish

thought this was a fishing forum??

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:37 pm 
Walleye

You are right Capt,Joe...so guys no teling jokes,talking about radios,long gun reg. or anything else unless it is how and were you catch fish. Maybe the site admin. can set up an "off topic forum" for us guys that do more than just fish. Oh buy the way you can`t catch any eyes in my turkey woods ,try someplace else..lol
ps they are all nice birds.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 pm 
Walleye Master

One brite day in the middle of the night, two smart fools began to fight! . They stood back to back, and faced each other, drew there swords, and shot each other. A deft policeman heard the noise and came and shot them two dead boys. If you dont believe me ask the blind man, he saw the whole thing!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:08 am 
Walleye

good one Grizz.....are you still looking for birds?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:04 am 
Walleye Master

a bird a day keps the doctor away lol ............ ive called in alot of jakes still have one tag left but im in no rush to fill it but yep ive hunted every day before work and called in at least one bird each day so far ..............been having fun but im about ready to get a fish or two so im thinking ill be back up maybe next week

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:40 pm 
Walleye

catcher wrote:
Here is my opening day gobbler. 22.8 pounds 2 beards first one 9.75 inches and second beard 4.5 inches long. Spurs both 7/8 long.

Nice bird Gerry what are you putting in the soil in your neck of the woods? Your monster deer and turkeys are just too consistant to be coincidence lol i must know the secret you must teach me the way of the monster slayer. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 pm 
Walleye Angler

Second outing of the year and second bird down. Weight 21.6 pounds and a 10 inch even beard and both spurs 1 1/8. Best part is having both my boy's with me at the time and also finding a shed antler on the way out.

banner ad