Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Breaking down in big bay
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:48 pm 
Guppy

I used to think that the number one rule in boating was to help anyone in distress, but apparently that doesnt hold true in big bay. I was trolling for walleye over by the narrows and in the cove in front of snookys hideaway with two of my friends, when my motor overheated and i was dead in the water. There wasnt any boats vary close to us at the time but that would change. We were paddling to shore when a guy in a aluminum boat drove by about 200-250 yrds from us. We began to stand in the boat and wave or paddles, and my friend started to blow a whistle, but the guy turned his boat just enough that he looped around us. Fairly frusterated we paddled on. Then about five minutes later another man in a large aluminum boat started driving strait towards us, again we stood up, started waving and whistling. The man just turned his boat loop by us about 250 yrds and pulled into snookys. I figured maybe he didnt see us and couldnt hear over the motor, so i waited till he was on the dock and blew the whistle as loud as i could. Still nothing! We finally got to the same launch as the second jerk where his boat and truck were still sitting. He was nowhere to be found, but a young teen was standing there on the dock fishing, and he said he could hear the whistle loud and clear. By the time i got my trailor to the boat the jerk decided to come around. I asked the jerk what was the deal, and he answered with "well i seen you guys out there paddling but i didnt see you waving or hear the whistle" Who paddles a bass boat with a 125? Anyway maybe he will breakdown soon with no one to help him in large tracker aluminum boat that says tracker fishing team powered by a 90 merc and 9.9 kicker merc. OH well i hope not everyone is like that. Happy boating.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:47 pm 
Walleye

sorry for your luck..and I MEAN THAT...I was in that same situation last fall out on the bay and I had numerus boats go buy...I waved ,whistle and flashed lights...I posted on this site my anger and 1 guy wrote back and said get a better moter.....that dicked me...so I guess my rant didn`t pay off...there are too many guys out there that don`t get it and sometime I too hope they break down...come on guys its time to keep an eye out there and help out ...and I am sure guys will post back saying if they had seen you they would have helped...until I read a post that this has happen then I will belive.....again sorry for your luck.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

People DON'T realize they are breaking the law by not stopping helping a boat in distress.

The Rules of Transport Canada for emrgency Situations:

"If you see a distress signal, the law requires you to see if you can help without risking your life or the safety of your boat. "

Perthaps some of these people who motor by should reported.

That may the only way people in Quinte will realize they have to stop.

Another excellent reason for the Operators Card.

Just my .02

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

That sucks. I have done my share of towing and have been towed. I like to believe that the people who ignored your distress calls are morons and karma will catch up to them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:12 am 
Walleye Master

Kinda makes you want to get a flare gun for the boat. if nothing else you can shoot at the passer bys lol .
and superdad....... im sure they did have a boaters card........... it is required lol.... point would be even that dont help...... common sence cant be bought! '
This post refurs to two boats that passed you by.... dont let that be a reflection on the many many who would have definatly stoped to help you out if thay were in the area. what i find is ironic is a signol device is required on a boat that being a whistle or a flashlight and they both do very little good for one you dont hear a whistle if your running along in your boat the noise covers up the sound of the whistle. and a flashlight is useless in the day time I still think they should have addapted a stress flag device alot like lifting the hood on your car if your broke down on the side of the road.
and if you want to take the whistle a little further im sure there was many people who heared the whistle while sitting at there cottages. maybe you should be just as mad at a few of them for not comming out to help?
Its a crappy deal all the way around but there is no answer I for one would hate to have the opp roll up on me and hand me a ticket for not hearing a whistle as i passed someone by 5oo yards away and just thought they were fishing.
I guess its safe to say that none of us ever plan on a break down but maybe we all can go a little further than the minium requirements as we equipt our boats in this case maybe a Orange Flag to wave would have been good, or a $10 dollar air horn instead of a $2 whistle both im sure they dont teach you in the boaters card exam .
Im not sticking up for the guys who passed you by. im just thinking there is always two sides to every story i do find it hard to believe that someone would knowingly pass by a person they know for a fact was disabeled in the water but im sure it happens these would be the same people who steel your fishing gear off your boat thats parked at the docks at night.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:59 am 
Walleye Wisdom

people on the bay are getting worse an worse every year. people dont even wave anymore i remember when every boat gave a wave.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:36 pm 
Walleye

Your whistle saves your butt when you are in the water at night that's why you should tie them to your pfc. Rescue boats have passed close by and missed people in the water, that's why you have the whistle.

Raise and lower outstretched arms is would be the distress signal to use that everybody should know.

For a vessel to be in distress there must be a threat to someones life or risk of damage to the boat, as this boat had everyone reasonably healthy and no immediate danger and even under way,the boat was not in distress so nobody should be going to jail. Had someones heart exploded from paddling a bass boat it would change the situation. Therefore the A-holes are not criminals, just A-holes.

Lots of boats refuse assistance everywhere, I think that as they get more experienced they are more likely to offer assistance because they've been there.

Dad and I hadn't been able to get out for a while so we decided to get out early for salmon. Crossing West Lake we see we are not the first boat on the lake as its sitting up ahead of us out of gas. I towed it but I should have run them in for gas, it would have been faster.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:17 pm 
Walleye Master

That seems to be common thing, i normaly go out by the old church, (Haybay), i cant remember how many times i have towed people to shore and only because no one else would, normaly it seems to be right when the fishing is getting hot, and i tell them if there still there on my pass back i will tow them in, ( 5 mins later) and normaly there is half a dozen or more other boats out there that pass by and no one helps. i have even taken people fishing who were having problems at the dock, forgot to charge batterys/ motor wont start/ etc.. but any time any thing has ever happened to me, i have been *** out of luck, there is a few older gentlemen that live in the area, that all ways stop to lend a hand, (Thank you) but it seems to be the people with the nice boats are just ass holes, (only talking from my personal experience, no offence ment), but the 70 year old man with the 50 year old boat (12 foot aluminum, with 9.9) are the first guys to stop, this may sound dumb, but if the guy that started this tread has a bass boat then would he not have a electric trolling motor on the front ?? i have one on my boat just in case my motor ever dies.. i can move the batt from the motor for a spare if needed. generaly should be enought to get you to shore.. because fact is you cant depend on any one to stop and help, and really do you want to ever put your self in that position ?? i fish lake ontario a fair bit, and i know if you had problems out there you would be in big trouble, it could be clear water one minute and big rollers the next. or lightening.

Sorry to all those i offended but bottom line is if your lawns not cut do you expect your neibour to come over and cut it ??
because getting to shore is your work, a good neigbour would come over and cut it for you, just like a good fellow fisherman should tow you to shore, but lets face it, the bay is run over with people from else where any more, there is few locals left, and half them are fed up with helping people, know that when they need it, its not there for them........

I have lived on the bay since 1988

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Guys,

I've had three eventfully experiences helping stranded boaters.

1. I once got to tow in a WWF wrestler and his girlfriend (Squeezums) in after they ran out of gas.

2. I got to tow in a 45 foot Scarab Cigarette boat for about 2 miles into Collins Bay in Kingston.

3. Last year I helped a guy with motor problems (A Merc of course, LOL). I towed him into his cottage. I asked if there were any rocks. He said, no, nothing all the way in he said. Off course, I hit a shoal he apparently forgot about. I was lucky I was going slow at the time. I ended up riding up on the shoal with the bow of the boat. Yikes.

I broke down last year and ended up using my trolling motor for about 3 miles. That was some treat. No my motor is not a Merc. It's an ETEC.

Oh ya, Superdad's commented about the boaters card. I don't believe a card makes someone a better boater. There are a lot of bad drivers on the 401 and they apparently have drivers licenses. Same thing as on the water.

I know that as responsible boater, I will always stop to offer my help. Like you said, it is the law.

See you on the water, by the way, I don't have a bass boat.

BATMAN 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm 
Walleye

West lake has a liquor store at the dock so most that tow anybody in to Wellington gets well compensated.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 pm 
Walleye Master

Ive broke down many times in my brothers boat. Sheldon offered to pull me in one time but we saw he was fishing hard and the gesture is what counted so we said its ok we will row in and let him fish but about half way in tired as #$#@. We get another offer from some guys that were on there way in to pointe anne launch and by this time wed just be stupid to say NO. Lots of people help ! Dont let a few make your judgement!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:11 pm 
Minnow

well kharma is a bitch and sooner or later she catches up to everyone.i must say for those of you who do stop and help others congrats to all of you.
sooner or later some 1 will help you in return.well wed like to hope so,if i was out there i would stop and help everyone i could.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:32 pm 
Walleye

I'm positive this would not happen fishing out of Wellington. The only time I recall a situation when a individual had boat trouble's at the Bonnet and no boats in the area was offering to help when he called on the radio for assistance.
Finally Grand Slam pulled his lines at Salmon Point and went the 10 miles to Bonnet to tow the fellow in. This was only a few years ago, but I know in the past there would have been many offers to assist.
Hopefully this was only one time thing, but I did tow a fellow all the way from the Bonnet back to Wellington harbour quite a few years ago. The fellow was 10 miles from the harbour and ran out of gas, we did have a conversation about being smarter about stuff like that Lake Ontario is not somewhere you want to be if ill prepared. Towing someone from the Bonnet took three hours, he did thank me and that was it maybe that is part of the problem. If you do have to be towed show your appreciation to at least offer to pay for his time and gas.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 am 
Walleye Master

I have to say Trav your so right! just how far does a person have to go to help out another person. like its one thing to tow someone into safty its another to go out of your way and tow them all the way back home or to there truck........ hell you break down on the 401 good luck getting a free tow from a tow truck why would someone expect it out on the water ?? like the case you spoke of. 10 miles away. and out of gas........ thats just insane! then all they say is thanks how about a little pay for your time, and your gas?? it isnt like you didnt have better things to do lol. like fish!! sure hate to be petty when a person is down on there luck but saying that why should there bad luck become your bad luck. I know last year I was comming back into picton and a guy was having trouble gettting there boat started he tried frantically I even offered to give him a jump start but in the back of my mind all I could think is why on earth dont you put yer boat back on the trailer and go home fix the problem then fish another day! why risk troubles out on the water when yer having troubles right on the dock!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:25 am 
Walleye

i think we have all been in your shoes(i know i have)sad ta say mans need ta catch his limit,and his greed clouds his vision everytime,when this happens answers to the task at hand are said out loud to the fishing buddy in the boat...ex,,Why should i help/he would not help me/im not wrecking my only morning out ta tow them ta shore/nobody helped me when i broke down.

this is only a few of the reasons ive heard folks say over the last 25 years,and YES sad ta say most are locals.Helping others is not a bad thing its more of a gift ta you(the person helping)the feeling of doing a good deed far surpasses catching a fish(in my mind anyway).

i was stuck up moscote bay with my old 14'/20hp and trolling motor one day last year,i broke a sheer pin,so i started trolling back ta point anne launch, and after 20 mins i was rowing all the way(battery dead) i passed 16 boats that sat in june not one ask if i needed help,very sad ta say i knew some of them(im sure you remember who you are)2 weeks later i towed one of those people who did not help back ta shore cause they ran outta gas,funny thing was the lad said "Hey" wer'nt you stuck rowing a few weeks ago cause your motor broke down.
i just smiled and said ya that was me,then said i seen yas fishing,just so the lad would feel bad about not helping lol..(don't think it worked thou lol)

all in all folks help all ya can cause you'll need help some day...............

Hawg Hunter

banner ad