It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:27 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Wellington
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:08 am 
Walleye Master

demoman wrote:
Scott....this might be way out to lunch but has anyone tried to jig for salmon. This is done out in BC and a guy I work with did it in Californa last month. They were jigging at 80 feet over 200 feet on a charter boat and getting them. What do you think about doing that here ?

I haven't heard of anyone jigging them here, but I know a guy that butterfly jigged for salmon State side. Last year I came close to trying it a couple times, but the best time to try it is when the fish are stacked up over bait and usually when you find that there is like 20 boats trolling a pattern so it would be pretty ignorant to stop on the fish and start jigging. No reason why it wouldn't work though. Sure is fun to feel a King hit when holding a rod.

Last year I had a double header where I was clearing a 10 colour core rod cause we had a good fish on. I must have burned in 2 or 3 colours as fast as I could when a Salmon hit it like a ton of bricks. Took me about 3 seconds to process what had happened and that I had a fish on, I was completely caught off guard cause I was burning that rod in at well over 10 MPH. It was pretty cool to feel the fish hit. I have had my hand on rods that are in holders ready to clear them when fish have hit a few times which is really cool too, but this was the first time I was physically holding the rod when the fish hit. It was a 25lb King too so a decent fish.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:50 am 
Walleye

We are going to give a try...we will go out during the week when there isn`t the boat pressure to do it.We will let you know how it goes.Maybe a new way to charter ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:18 am 
Walleye Angler

Tried to get out today but the swells were to
big for my little piss cutter.
I've been out before and it's been like glass.
What kind of a weather report should I be looking for for a nice calm morning?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:49 pm 
Walleye Master

Anything under 10Knots is usually a decent day although it depends on the previous day a little bit as well.

Anything out of the North and the lake will be calm unless it is really blowing hard.

SW is what you need to look out for. If it is blowing out of the SW then it has from Niagara to us to pick up steam and it makes it a little bumpy out there.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:08 pm 
Walleye Master

saw you going out this morningI smiled thinking man yer crazy cause the day I had fishing walleye in westlake was simply out of this world and you should be chasing the eyes. sad to say what a differance a day makes because todays fishing was nothing compaired to yesterday. .
you must be very and I stress VERY carefull out there on the big lake just on westlake today the water went from calm to a little breeze to white caps in LESS. yes LESS than 15 minutes white caps on westlake equates to 3 footers on the big lake now if your running for salmon yer gonna be a few miles out, and a boat your size in 3 foot rollers is a pretty hairy ride and can easily turn a 20 minute run into a 3 hour venture getting back depending on the direction of the waves. and the direction you need to go to get back to the harbor.
A big rule of thumb is you MUST respect that lake because it has no respect for you at all ...other than that exactly what scott said.. very good advice on his part

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:41 am 
Goby

Out yesterday afternoon from Brighton to off Ogden cement works -- 3 hours and covered 40-120 feet. Flat when I left and 3 foot breakers when I came in. Much changed from excitment of week before. Surface water temp gone from 60 to 51/52. Huge baitfish shoals I saw last week everywhere all gone. Like last week however , still no Salmon action, either on sonar or more importantly on downrigers , dipsys or boards. Will try off Bonet on Friday if the weather forcast holds up....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 am 
Walleye Angler

I knew it wasn't going to be ideal but when your up for just the week
you gotta make the most of it.
I had to tear apart my kicker motor on Monday so I missed all that good
walleye action grizz.
Was that you at the public dock as we went past?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:37 am 
Walleye Master

well I was in my boat getting ready to go out waiting for my buddy to show up actually I was at the docks that belong to the real thing bait shop I saw a small craft motor by heading to the big lake so I can only assume that was you and your buddy making your way out to the big waters I litterly killed the walleye on monday........ boated 19 eyes. 4 bass. and 3 pike while fishing alone from about 7ish til 11;30.......... what a day. next day we managed ok but nothing like it was the day before

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:43 am 
Walleye Catcher

Hey Grizzly how come your always alone when you catch fish.LOL.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care
Sheldon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:56 am 
Walleye Master

because unlike you when I take a friend i want THEM to catch all the fish lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:44 pm 
Walleye Master

I caught 10 walleye on Sunday morning fishing with a buddy for a few hours before church. Left the docks at 6:40am and was back on the dock at 9:32 am. So lines in the water for about 2.5hours. Lots of Pike and white perch as well.

Almost steady fish on. It was fun. 19 by yourself is a good day!!! I have a group to take out this evening for 4 hours on West Lake here's to hoping I can get into them again.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:45 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

atta boy Scott , sounds like your year is starting off great, :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

Now I know your boat grizz I'll be able to follow you and get the 10 walleye you have to throw back !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:06 pm 
Walleye Master

lol. truth be known I spray paint it a different color every other week or so when the fishing is hot ill spray paint it blaze orange so you can find me lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:59 am 
Walleye Master

Grizz,

Found the eyes again last night. 12 eyes in 4 hours. More pike and white perch then I care to count.

I got a good portion of them in your honey hole. LOL. The good old County Grapevine. Thanks for the tip. Well thank you for telling a guy, who told another guy, who told me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott

banner ad