Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wellington Kings!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

Took my old man out Friday morning.
After about 5 phone calls He finally got out of bed. After he answered he agreed to make his way down to the boat where I was waiting.
I was a little confident that We'd hit some rainbows. Well for the first two hours of trolling towards the bonnet I was worried we were going to get skunked. ran out of Gas on the kicker. So after switching tanks I cleared all the lines and changes things up a bit. Good thing I did. With the riggers now down 50 ft the one rod fired. I was waiting for a rainbow to surface but it wanted to stay low. Got it to the boat, a small king. Weighed it later and it was about 3 lbs. kept it for the bbq.
Well we ventured on and the other rod fired. this fish had some pull. I was worried the old man was going to have a heart attack. Biggest Salmon hes ever had! He had to brace himself between the seats to keep his balance. We let this one go. Need to get a bigger cooler! We felt the winds getting a little stronger and I knew they we're going to blow from the west in the afternoon. We both agreed We had a great Day so far and heading back early and playing it safe was in our best interest. Or It may have been the fact we we're in a good mood catching some fish and we're both interested in a cold beer!
I keep on running two dipsy's but never seem to get anything on them. Both Fish were on my cheater lines again. On one Blue Freezy the other on Orange Crush. Both are Knockout spoons.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Wellington Kings!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice to hear you got a few fish.

Surprised you got them so high. The rigger was only down 50' and you got both kings on the cheaters? That should be only 20 - 30' down, and really tight to the boat. Very surprised to hear that.

Are you running braid or wire dipsy's? What size and how much line out?

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:01 am 
Walleye Master

Congrats on the Kings.
It's nice to see the different generations of fishing partners out there on the lakes. I take out my son, you take out your Dad. And we both have to kick them out of bed :)
I'm curious though, still being new to the big lake fishing, what do you consider a cheater line? Apparently I also have to learn the names of the different lures for this style of fishing, I always thought orange crush was a pop.
Curoius to see your answer to Scott as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:19 am 
Walleye Wisdom

a cheater is another line that you run halfway down so you can put another lure on your spread. if a fish hits it slides down

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm running braid dipsy and a braid slide diver
I run them both on #3 to get them away from
The boat.
The dipsy is 82 mm
And the slide diver is the #1 I think.
I've been running them 200 -240 ft back
I tried a spin doctor and fly a few times but seem to do better with spoons. With a small boat time out there is precious so it's nice if you can find a pattern early in the day
I'd like to try a lead core line but I think the boss will kill me if she finds any more new tackle this year

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:45 pm 
Walleye Master

Try running the 82 mm dipsy on 0 setting, or go with a 107mm. You are probably only about 30' down with the 82 on 3 setting. Although you seem to have been getting your fish up that high. I think you should try getting a little deeper with the dipsy's. I have been running the 107mm out 200-250'.

It has certainly been a spoon bite this year, but my better quality fish have come off a spinny and fly. Don't give up on them. Keep 1 rod with a spinny and a fly, and make sure you get that rod when it fires. :-).

If you decide to add a leadcore setup to your arsenal, I still have one combo left from last year. Its spooled with 27lb leadcore. Okuma Catalina 30 on a 8'6" M 12-20lb Convector Great Lakes Rod.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 am 
Walleye Master

Charlie,

I got 4 fish on 107mm dipsy back 350' with spinny and fly Monday and Yesterday. Just thought I would let you know so you don't give up on them. I know its hard sometimes to keep confidence in something that isn't firing, but don't give up on the dipsy rods. There are days you will get all your fish on them.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:23 am 
Walleye Angler

Scott,
your killing me. I have to work All weekend and won't be back up to the County untill the 16th
How do you find the slide diver compares to the 107mm Dipsy?
any hot colours on the spinnie and fly?
Are you fishing the Bonnet?
Ive got way too much time to think about the fish im not catching this week!

banner ad