Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:21 am 
Walleye Master

Operation Open Water, I'm In!

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:58 am 
Walleye Master

when that board went back ive never seen Al run so fast lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:00 am 
Walleye Master

There is a picture of a 16lbs'er (and looks all of it) on Walleye Central from Quinte...caught early 2000's....member used to be on here...his name is slipping my memory right now....EyeTracker knows him....he is wearing a camo suit i believe in the photo...

dimensions for calculating walleye weight are off once you crack about 11lbs...to prove that, i weighed a 13lbs 2ounce last winter, then put it through the "calculator" ... calculator said 14.4lbs...over 1 lbs bigger than it was....

we use the BERKLEY TEC scale...the most accurate scale on the market. (without going into chatillion scales). So my weights are often "under estimated" compared to the average, as I use very accurate scales....two of them actually....not just one.

we are trying so VERY hard to crack 15lbs...i'm POSITIVE i had one on last trip, but it was hooked funny, and I could not get it in...after 25 minutes I lost it....whatever.

But, with that said, my boat has taken FOUR over 14lbs....all with adequate photo's and all on the berkley TEC scale....right down to the fractional weight within the single ounce.

14lbs 2ounces - My "blue tail" walleye - many have seen the photo going around....caught on a ripstick.
14lbs 4ounces - My first 14lbs walleye caught on a SPOON!
14lbs 7ounces - My personal best walleye, caught on a 3 way setup.
14lbs 11ounces - My boats personal best walleye, caught by my father, on a power dive.

I don't want to scrounge up photo's, however, all four have been posted on this board.....

the 3 smaller ones were females, however, our biggest was a MALE that was 35" in length!!!!! But no gut!

All released.

If i crack 15, it will be released...

If i crack 16, well........enough said.

(edited as per Landsharks comments below in order to clarify weights)

Last edited by steve-hamilton on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:02 am 
Walleye Master

oh, i like the sound of operation ice break.....that way i'm getting some help clearing the way, lol.

Ok, so it was labelled as "16lbs" but not quite.

Here's the photo. The LARGEST quinte walleye I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN a photo for.

Angler Name: mark campeau

Date Caught: December 30, 2006

Info: 15 pounds 10 ounces girth 20.625 legnth 33.75

Again, biggest I have ever seen!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 am 
Walleye Master

another thing to remember when posting weights as steve has done is this. I assume when he posts 14.2 lbs he really means 14 lbs and 2 ounces. My digital scale can go to the 100th of a lb so if I posted I caught a fish that was 14.15 it would actually be smaller than steves fish

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:47 am 
Walleye Master

you are correct Landshark.

my 14.2 meant 14lbs 2 ounces.

technically, i would have to check my written records, but my scale would read 14lbs 2 ounces and 1/8 fractional ounce as the berkley TEC provides a fractional ounce to an eighth of an ounce.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 am 
Walleye

I saw a 16 at the Picton dock back when 13-14 were common, didn't weigh it but one look and it dwarfed the 12 lbers.

Guys got a 15 couple weeks ago, sliced thin they said it tasted great.

I've got a video of my uncle trying to catch a smaller eater back in the 80's, its pretty funny him swearing away tossing back one 10-12 after another.

The thing too is a spring caught 15 would have weighed what, 12-13 in the fall, due to the roe?

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 am 
Walleye Master

you know, i've spoke to locals through to long time guides (jimmy johnson, i understand the longest current guide on quinte)

and they report 13's or 14's were never "common"....

only difference is now you don't get the 15lbs plus'ers, while you used to see a few each year....

but i've been told that 10-12lbs'ers have ALWAYS been the average....

however again, i've only been there for the last 7 years....and aside from last winter, i've found each year to be relatively the same...weather depending....last year (2010) was the first year were the average size fish was a COUPLE POUNDS lower than usual.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:57 pm 
Walleye

i caught a 15 lbr in the early 90"s threw the ice weighed it in at four seasons tackle was 15.6 had in my mothers deep freezer in the garage to get mounted and the freezer went for a crap and lost her would love to get another like that one and i know they are out there lots of big mommas in the bay

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:11 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well the liitle fish on the left was just over 11(buddy caught that one) when I set the hook into mine I thought I hooked the bottom!!! 16.3 I'm 6'2 275lbs in that pic

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

VI never put a tape to her but she was huge it didn't even look like a walleye layin on the ice it looked like a carp!!!!! Some guys from Quebec saw us pull her up and they came running to look at her, It was a fluke we were just bored of fishing pike and decided to try quinte I fished it with dad as a kid so I knew a few spots and went out at 8 am. I was skunked until 30mins before we left I told the boys to watch a was gonna get a wall hanger they just laughed at me!!!!!!!

They didn't laugh when that thing came thru the hole!!!
I doubt I get another one!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm 
Walleye Master

Those are big fish Vex, The biggest fish I ever saw never made it to the top side of the ice. Back in 1990 myself and 3 buddies headed up for hardwater. After our first day we caught NOTHING. We ran into Randy (hawghunter) he took us out the next day and put us on fish. My buddy had bought a new rod a couple weeks before in preperation for our big trip. He had been bragging about it. Well I was set up about 50 ft away from him when I heard "holy f^&%" No sooner did he say that and it snapped his rod into about 5 pieces LOL. He was screaming like a girl "help me help me" I was laughing my boys off because he had preached this rod for weeks. I get over there to se pievces of his rod sliding down his line hahah. He was fighting the fish with the reel and about 4-5 inches of rod. I can still picture it. He got the fish up to the hole and I was amazed at this thing. I have seen my share of 10-12 lbers and this thing dwarfed it. I honestly feel like I am being conservative when I say she was 15. 20 seconds at the hole and she came unglued. It was a northern king trolling spoon with a billy storm bend in it as Billy was out with us that day. 20 + years later my buddy still gives me crap for laughing and not running over to help him. We did end up getting 5-6 fish around 10 lbs that day but nothing like this monster that gave us a peek.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

U better jig with a "big stick" in quinte we broke 2 rods this year and they were on 10lb fish mine cracked the clearcoat at the handle and my buddies cracked in the cork at the handle, you can tell when new people fish quinte lite rods and 6in augers!!! They learn quick"if I had a 12" jiffy I would use it!!!!!!!!

Don't kid urself thinking there isn't fish over 15lbs

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Guys,

Why are you breaking your rods. Most of these guys breaking rods are experienced ice fisherman, from what I can tell. Are most of you guys breaking rods while using braid? Maybe you guys are Bass fisherman and and think you need to cross a Walleyes eyes to hook them. You can break a rod on a 5 lb Walleye if you think you are in your 20 foot Bass Boat and you need to sink that 5/0 hook in the fish. Walleye have a tough mouth, but most experienced Quinte guys would agree that sharp hooks and steady pressure get more fish to the boat, or onto the ice. As long as your ice fishing on Quinte with a MH or Heavy rod, braid, Owner hooks and at least 10 lb Fluorocarbon, one quick strike should guarantee a good hook set. It kills me every time I hear of someone that broke a rod on a hook set, claims they lost a 15 lber.

BATMAN 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:45 pm 
Perch

My PB is thru ice many moons ago at over 14 on a spring scale.....my better half Birdee landed the best fish to grace our boat at 14.7 (not ounces).......I've seen 3 over 14 ever and they are just not built the same way as a 12 pounder......unreal to see.

Here's hers...

RJ

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
banner ad