Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Second Depot Lake
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:18 am 
Walleye

Hey guys, I know this is a quinte forum but I can't seem to find out too much info on this particular lake anywhere else. I was wondering if anybody has any experience on second depot lake a little north of Kingston, as far as walleye goes. I have a map of the lake but I have never fished it and I'm taking my son out boating tomorrow. I wouldn't mind trying for some walleye as well as I hear the fishing can be decent at times. Approximately where to target the fish would be a huge help if anybody has any experience there!

cheers,

Mike

Post subject: Re: Second Depot Lake
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:44 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for posting this Mike...hopefully someone will reply as I too will be there this year and have a week of camping booked.

Where did you get the map?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 am 
Walleye Angler

Some people fish the Depot lakes for walleye. It is not exactly known as a hotspot (not as fertile as the BOQ and is in Canadian Shield country), but they have produced a few. One of them was producing some nice yellow perch as I understand it; this is going back a few years. You have me curious myself now.

Napanee

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 am 
Baitfish

fished it mostly in the winter with low to moderate success for walleye, have minimal open water experience, but got a few trolling rock cuts and jiggin the weeds. Use to get some good burbot from time to time. water is very stained, almost like fishing in soup. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 am 
Walleye

Legacy I purchased the eastern ontario fishing mapbook from Crappy tire I think for like $20 or so. It has maps with depth charts and contour lines for most of the back lakes within about an hour or two of Kingston. It also provides info such as access locations, fish species present in the lake, and ammenites nearby. Quite a handy book actually. The new version of it actually includes the kawartha area as well I believe.

here is a link to the book if you wanted to take a look

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/fi ... 8-224.html

Kerr, I have heard there are some big burbot in there, I don't believe I have ever caught one although I hear they are actually good eating! Thanks for the info

thanks for the posts guys

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:10 am 
Walleye Wisdom

The other depot lakes (third, fourth and fith) are usually better for eyes than second. 2nd gets too much fishing pressure.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:46 pm 
Walleye Angler

That is very interesting to know about the burbot (freshwater ling). I recall that they used to be thrown onto the ice as a boy fishing lake Simcoe and I tryed them for my first time in Calgary a few years ago.....excellent eating for fish and chips; highly recommended with this series of lakes having a good quality one as my hunch. Has anyone tryed them from there? Night fishing I take it for best results?

Interesting thread. You guys (kerr and ktown) surprised the heck out of me with this one.

Napanee

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:48 pm 
Walleye Master

well said dog lake, i would consider second a bass lake, with the odd walleye trown in, my dad fishes the depot's a ton, i have done well at third, ( i cant remember which one, but one has a dam, we used to fish of the top of the dam and catch a ton of walleye).
i caught a nice 5 pound largie there (second), probly 05 or 04. a true 5 pounder, not the cottager 5 pounder.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm 
Walleye Master

oh second has some cliff jumping oppurtunitys as well, or at least it used too, it was a ton of fun when i was a kid.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I've fished the depots a bit as our hunting lease is just above fourth. 2nd is a nice little lake and holds lots of smaller bass that are usually willing to hit poppers, worms under 7", and micro spinner baits. Great place to take the kids so they hook up and have some fun. Like fireball said, eyes are mostly incidental though.

3rd and 4th (connected) are very stained and is hit and miss for eyes, but there are some nice ones in there. Most are 1.5-4lbs but my buddy Burt got a 8lber on a crank opening weekend. Flourecent and copper colours, and lots of vibration/scent work better in the stained tea coloured water. Pike are present, but usually smaller, with the odd 7-8 lber. Big panfish, crappies, gills and perch are very good sized.

5th is a mix of smaller bass and decent eyes, but the water is much clearer and natural colours work better.

Good luck and please practice good conservation tactics so these small shield lakes continue to produce decent fishing opportunities.

Tight lines,

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:11 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the tips Dog, If I get any they'll all be catch and release, my dad has a cottage out on elbow lake (north of verona) and the walleye have been getting fished hard the last couple years, and the fishing has been getting noticeably worse. I'm all for conservation!