Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:22 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Well today I made my first big water trip in the new boat. We made our way down to Wellington from the Ottawa area to try our luck for a few salmon. My fishing partner for the day was one of my former students from a few years ago. He has never salmon fished before and I have never been the boat captain during a salmon fishing trip and have never fished the Wellington area..... so we were just hoping not to get skunked.

Using some tips from Al aka Trannyman, who not only messaged me some tips, but was waiting for us at the launch this morning to give us some last minute tips before he went to work. , we were off to the Bonnet. Thanks again for the info Al, you are a first class guy.

Luckly the water was nice and calm, on the way out I made the comment that if we make it out and back safety and with no major issues I would be happy............... this comment will come into play later.

After arriving at our spot we set up our trolling spread, no downriggers on the boat yet, so 2 braid dipseys with Spin Doctors and flies, a 5 colour core off the in-line board and a 10 colour core out the back, both cores with spoons.

After trolling the area looking for different depths, and bait our dipsey rod goes off and after a good battle I land our first fish, a nice 21 pound chinook.

Awhile later my buddy is up and after a good battle, using a wrong handed reel, he lands his first salmon ever, a nice 18 pound chinook.

We continue to work the area and another dipsey rod goes off, I am up the fish makes a nice run and heads for the surface, it does not jump but rolls around just below the surface, this fish doesn't want to move. Definitely the biggest chinook of the day unfortunately after about 10 minutes of fighting the fish comes off. :(

A short time later my buddy lands his second fish of the day another pass of the area and we call it a day around 2pm.

Days totols: 3 for 4, plus 1 other hit. All 4 fish hooked were on braid dipsey set ups, number 1 dipsey, number 3 setting, 200 feet of line out, green+blue Spin Doctor with blue fly and green + white Spin Doctor with green fly. Our other hit was on 10 colour core, no hits on 5 colour.

Remember my comment from earlier............ we start to make our 20 km run to the marina.......... all is well after 10 plus km we start to lose power and are now crawling back at about 7 miles per hour, with about 2.5 km left to the marina the motor dies and will not restart :cry: :x :cry:

We have the electric trolling motor but that is barely moving us along, so I get another first for the day............. the first time I have had to call the Coast Guard :oops:

The Coast Guard Auxillary out of Wellington came out as we limped our way back into the marina and towed us in the rest of the way.

A big thanks goes out to the guys of the Auxillary.

A quick stop at Reel Things Tackle to buy some more salmon tackle for next time and we are on our way home.

No idea yet what is wrong with the motor............. clogged fuel filter, broken fuel pump.......... I am suppose to be bass fishing Saturday at 7am, not sure if that will happen :cry:

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:47 am 
Walleye Master

I'm glad you had a good day Jim. The GOSD starts today and there will be a lot of boat working that area.

We'll make a couple passes in there early and then head to less traffic areas.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 am 
Walleye Master

Nice job on the fish Jim. sucks about the boat troubles but hey. its all part of the adventure I supose lol I saw you guys at the reel thing. never knew it was you in fact i followed you out of the parking lot and down the road a bit I reconize the cool sticker on the boat lol . and your right about Al. top knotch first class stand up guy for sure! grizz

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:56 am 
Walleye Master

Nice job Jim !!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:27 am 
Walleye Master

Great work Jim,

Great work on the salmon. I can vividly remember my first salmon with a manual downrigger on a boat smaller then yours and I was hooked for life!! It is a great experience. I'm sure you will be back for more. I'm sure I saw you out there. I was fishing with a buddy in the same area. The fishing was great yesterday.

Al is certainly first class and has done A LOT for the salmon fisher on the great lakes in general but specifically Wellington. Much of the great fishing we enjoy is because of guys like Al that take time out of their lives to fund raise and work on salmon stocking. It is great to see the fish coming back like they are.

Hope to see you again.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 am 
Walleye Wisdom

thanks guys it was a fun day on the water, hoping to get out again soon. Took the boat down to my local lake she will start and run in neutral but dies when you put it in gear. So looks like a trip to the mechanic, hopefully I get it back before too long. Local dealer said over a week wait just to look at it :(

Jim

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 am 
Walleye Master

Awesome job guy's they are some nice fish. To bad about the motor trouble but glad to here you made it back safe. As for Al. AKA Trannyman your right he is a straight up guy that works very hard for the fishery and is always more than willing to help a guy out. Hope you get out again soon and best of luck.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:32 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice fish. Hopefully you got your boat fixed. Is that a 17ft?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 am 
Walleye Catcher

How to go 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:50 am 
Walleye

Nice report guys, I'm heading out to Wellington Tuesday for a Salmon charter, can't wait now!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:56 am 
Walleye Wisdom

rtkman wrote:
Nice fish. Hopefully you got your boat fixed. Is that a 17ft?

Yes 17ft 4in, 92in wide .... 115 hp Optimax

Jim

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:58 am 
Walleye Wisdom

ktownfire wrote:
Nice report guys, I'm heading out to Wellington Tuesday for a Salmon charter, can't wait now!

Good luck on the charter.

Jim

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

ah same size as mine. I was thinking of trying salmon fishing but i was a bit tentative because of the size of the boat. Dont get me wrong. Waves dont scare me but drowning kinda does :) I guess as long as i pick the right day it should be ok. Is wellington the closest port to the bonnet? It looks like you had a great time. I did a salmon charter once and it was awesome. Unfortunately i dont know much about catching them. I assume i cant use my medium action rod and spinning reel? I may have to put a request in for some heavier gear to the CFO.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:51 am 
Walleye Master

who you going on your charter with?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

rtkman wrote:
ah same size as mine. I was thinking of trying salmon fishing but i was a bit tentative because of the size of the boat. Dont get me wrong. Waves dont scare me but drowning kinda does :) I guess as long as i pick the right day it should be ok. Is wellington the closest port to the bonnet? It looks like you had a great time. I did a salmon charter once and it was awesome. Unfortunately i dont know much about catching them. I assume i cant use my medium action rod and spinning reel? I may have to put a request in for some heavier gear to the CFO.

I don't know the area that well first time out, so not sure if there is another launch closer to Bonnet, I don't think so.

This is the first time out on the "big water" in this boat, but I have fished quite a few times on Lake Ont. and Erie with friend's in their 17 foot boats with no problems. You just need to use you head, pick your days, watch the weather and know when to pull the rods and head for shore. Also having a plan B is a good idea, since I travelled about 3 hours to Wellington, and know I would be anxious to fish when I got there, I brought from bass fishing gear as well, so if it looked too rough, we could bass fish West Lake or Quinte and be less tempted to go out on the big water in risky conditions.

You probably want some heavier gear for some, but you do noit need to break the bank. I mainly use Diawa Accudepth Line Counter reels and Shimano TDR rods which cost about $100 plus tax per rod/reel set up, plus some 50 pound braid, a few dipsey drivers, a couple Spin Doctors and flies, and you are set. Might not catch a boat load of fish with basic setup but it will get you in the game. If you get into serious dsalmon fishing I would probably get better reels than the Accudepths, but they have worked well for me on my limited trips to Lake Ont and Erie.

banner ad