Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:24 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ettiquette
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:03 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hi all, I am wondering if I am wrong in being a little steamed at the situation that happened today. My young son and I were out fishing this morning and after pulling in our 2nd 'eye, my worm harness broke. The wind was blowing pretty steady and blew us off the area we were on while I was unpacking my new harness. We weren't of the spot 20 seconds and a boat moved right in to where we were, they anchored right into the spot and promptly pulled in 2 more fish. My son asked why they did this so I told him we don't own the bay or the fish and eveyone is entitled to fish where they would like. I certainly did not believe the load of crap I fed him but what sort of example would I have set? Do I say anything or just be happy we caught 2. We fish for fun and time together this just left a bad taste.

Thanx, Lenbo

Post subject: Re: Ettiquette
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:30 am 
Walleye Master

unfortunaly, what you said is dead on, and also what you did is the correct response with a kid present and ettiqutte.. this has happened to me many many times.. and i just let it go..
as long as they arent pushing you off your spot, its tuff luck.. if you had thrown achor you wouldnt of drifted of the spot. thats the key thing i have learned. i have had guys bang planer boards off the side of my boat,(they did say sorry, but in my opion it was clearly on purpose, only said some thing once i had the camara out) i wrote a letter to the tournament director with some pictures i had taken, but then never sent it... realised this crap just isnt worth the trouble...
i think in your case they didnt know you were fishing there. saw a free spot and moved in.

i mean i allways slow down when i see people swimming or cannoeing/kayaking but.. if the kayak is in the middle of lake ontario.. there is no way your going to see me slow down... i did that the other day, the guy gave me the fingure.. i was probly 2-300 feet away. going 40 mph in a boat the does 60, when i say open lake, i was south side of amherst island...

many fisherman will tell you storys of fishing shore line and having boats zoom 30-40 feet away on the shore line edge where these guys are trying to fish.. and they are going full tilt...

would of been intersting to see what would of happened if you would of told them you were fishing there.. if it was me i would of moved, and apoliged.. they may have done the same thing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:51 am 
Walleye Master

the propper thing to do would have been to drop anchor. and thats probably what you should have told your son as well.................you would have a real complaint if you had been ancored and they pulled in and started fishing right beside you. that brings up a new question. how close is too close ?? . im reminded of last fall when 10 boats are trolling a streatch it was very tight to say the least. and what made it even worse was when a boat pulls into the pack shuts down and begins to drift jig the same waters . was he wrong ? did he care?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:52 am 
Jumbo Perch

I carry a rocket launcher for such occasions.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:05 am 
Walleye Master

Spinning rod + 8lb test+ 3/4 ozone lil Cleo. Just joking you are right its kinda a Dick move

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'd like to think they didn't know your situation and innocently moved in on you. That is most likely the case. That being said I have had a few that I would have liked to use a rocket launcher on. IE: Bass boats skimming by me and my kids way to close while we are fishing. Some guys really need to grow up.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:27 am 
Walleye Master

thing about bass boats is they are high performance machines. many go 80, 90 and even 100 miles a hour.
if you are fishing in a narrow area, its hard to avoid them flying by, but chances are most guys like me will cut speed in half, or slower, i take my foot of the gas pedal if i see some one swimming, until i get by them.
if you dont like boats flying by at 40- 50 mph, then find some where else to fish, at half speed those boats stop pretty quick and have complete control
there is idoit's out there of course i experience it my self, but i get it alot more from aluminum boats, like trackers, etc.. and they will cut right into my fishing path. (wether i am trolling or casting)... and those guys that have no lights on there boat while night fishing...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:24 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Im not talking about narrow areas. I've had it happen on big bay here. I agree if you are in a narrow spot get over it but i've seen it done just because its the shortest route to their spot. I'm not bashing the bass boat guys most are great.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:52 pm 
Walleye Master

go on. bash the bass guys I do it all the time *Grin*

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Lol no way. You never know who you may need out there some day :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

It happens all the time but we all have to just use common sense. However on ice I have had guys set up within 5 ft of my holes and start fishing and have told them what was on my mind.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
Walleye Master

Some guys are rude out there. But like a few guys are saying, sometimes you have to suck it up, and move on. I've had guys trolling beside me, a hundred feet away, and get ahead of me and force me into the shoreline. Either I have to stop trolling to let them get buy, or cut behind them, right over top of their lines. I figure if they need to cross in front you, and be a D**K, they need the fish more than I do, and they can have 'em.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

Not much you can do.

Had that happen to us last week in the QFS bass tourny. We pulled into our first spot, and not 5 seconds later a local guy in a small tin boat pulled in front of us and proceeded to fish the bank that we were already going down! Travelled 100+km, hundred bucks in gas, best spot .......and we were fishing 50ft behind another boat.

And Fireball's planner boat comment . This year at Thompson's pt. G3 walleye boat ran his board about 2ft down the side of our Triton - we were not under power . I could have touched the top of his board with the end of my rod.

Ettiquette or laws; some people just don't care, but i assure you that there are a lot of awesome people out there on Quinte who would do the exact opposite and give a spot to a dad and son.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm 
Walleye Master

thats so true matt..... i guess if you spend enough time on the water eventually you will see it all, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 am 
Walleye Master

sounds like guys dont like tritons, matt, lol, this boards litterly hit the side of my boat those, was surprised the one didnt get caught in the prop, or the trolling motor that was running.. didnt see the boat till i thought i was being shot at, when a planner board slammed into the side of the boat, i had my ipod on. if it ever happens to me again i am cutting there lines and keeping there boards.. if you want to call that bad ettiquette go ahead, but the way i see it, if you cant control those boards properly, you shouldnt have them...

banner ad
banner ad