Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:18 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:17 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for the info i really appreciate it. I live 20 mins from wellington and 10 from belleville so picking a day is easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:24 pm 
Walleye Master

[/quote]
I don't know the area that well first time out, so not sure if there is another launch closer to Bonnet, I don't think so.

This is the first time out on the "big water" in this boat, but I have fished quite a few times on Lake Ont. and Erie with friend's in their 17 foot boats with no problems. You just need to use you head, pick your days, watch the weather and know when to pull the rods and head for shore. Also having a plan B is a good idea, since I travelled about 3 hours to Wellington, and know I would be anxious to fish when I got there, I brought from bass fishing gear as well, so if it looked too rough, we could bass fish West Lake or Quinte and be less tempted to go out on the big water in risky conditions.

You probably want some heavier gear for some, but you do noit need to break the bank. I mainly use Diawa Accudepth Line Counter reels and Shimano TDR rods which cost about $100 plus tax per rod/reel set up, plus some 50 pound braid, a few dipsey drivers, a couple Spin Doctors and flies, and you are set. Might not catch a boat load of fish with basic setup but it will get you in the game. If you get into serious dsalmon fishing I would probably get better reels than the Accudepths, but they have worked well for me on my limited trips to Lake Ont and Erie.[/quote]

Very sound advice all round!

Know your boat and limitations. Listen to the little voice in your head that says I shouldn't do this, not your heart that really wants to go.

You don't have to break the bank to get started. A dipsy rod or two. Torpedo divers are a phenomenal option. You can get a spoon down 80' easy for $25. http://www.torpedodivers.com Really effective cool tool. Pick up 2 torpedo's and a dipsy rod and your good to go. Great way to get started. Only problem is once you hear that drag screaming you will be hooked for life!! It is such a sweet feeling. Really is addictive.

Here is a picture of a 30.2 lb fish I got fishing with Maverick and Big Mac on Friday. We went 12 for 18 in 5 hours. Lots of big fish. It was a good time.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:39 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Wow. Nice trip. I'll check into those for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Awesome fish there Scott! Salmon fishing is definitely addicting!!

I'm hoping to get out again soon, but it might be a couple weeks until motor is fixed :(

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice fish. I know where you could find a working boat Jim :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

rtkman wrote:
Nice fish. I know where you could find a working boat Jim :)

If you ever want to get out and try our luck for a few salmon I'm always game. I have the basic rod/reel setups and tackle. Do you have rod holders on your boat?

Jim

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Yup i have 2. Im game whenever you want to go. Id love to learn some about salmon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:49 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice fish Scott. :) :) :)

Water is starting to stack up pretty good. Between West point and Wicked Bank this morning down temp was 58 degrees at 85' to 90'. It shut the inside down but at the tip of the Bank, it was hot.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

Was out on saturday, wow there were alot
Of boats fishing the bonnet
Lost a nice brown boat side, a shaker, and a rainbow
With a lampray attached. God are those grose
I didnt want to touch it so we killed it with the
Pliers. Made that rainbows day getting
That thing off, my wonder bread spoon and
Same colour dipsy have been the only
Thing working fir me this year

How long of a lead do most of you guys use
Behind your cannon balls when running
Sd and fly or sd and rocket?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Second question
How do i deal with these damn fleas??????
They are especially worse on the rigger rods in
Comparison to my divers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:52 am 
Walleye Wisdom

use flea fliker line -triangular in shape-30lb at least,or wire line and dipseys

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:48 am 
Walleye

-Dave- wrote:
who you going on your charter with?

I'm going with Scott Ellis, I used to work with him in Kingston. I think he goes by HB charters, could be wrong though!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 am 
Walleye Master

I run anywhere from 5' to 30' leads behind the ball when using Flasher set ups. I usually start about 10' on one and 20' on the other then play from there.

Fleas suck. I hate flea flicker line so I just use mono. Wire is best as it cuts right off. You can run wire off the riggers just to eliminate the fleas if they are bad enough. You can also go to braid off the riggers with a mono or flourocarbon leader. You need to have enough lead to be in the release though, if you put braid in the release it will just pop out and drive you nuts. Even downsizing the lb line you are using will help. The trick I use is to reel in until there is a ball of fleas on the line about 5 or 6 feet in front of the tip then I slap the line and rod on the water and they pop off for the most part. You can even do this with a fish on but I wait until the fish is not running reel down, point the tip straight at the fish. Then slap it up and down aggressively but only raising and slapping down with a 24" swing. It actually puts very little pressure on the fish (if it isn't to close). Bottom line fleas suck!

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks, That sounds like great advice,
I picked up some mono, I had braid with flouro leader on the rigger poles, but the braid seemed to be horrible,
so I'll give some trilene big game a shot.
hoping to get out again this weekend. If I can get the boss into it,
She actually accused me of being obsessed with fishing! can you believe that!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 pm 
Walleye Master

The worse thing about fleas is that they shut the kings down for about 5 to 6 days.

I use 30 lb. Big Game or Trilene XT. Have been a Berkley fan for 40 years. I use a lot of Ande a times.

If you want to beat the flea deal just blood knot a 150' section of 40 lb. into the line that you are using before the fleas hit. I bought FF but have never used it. Hate the knot tying characteristics.

Big kings will be in this week and next. Best chance to win the GOSD or up your PB.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad