Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 am 
Walleye Master

Hey guys, just looking for opinions on crankbaits for bass 0-10 foot divers. I've been having fairly good luck with the Rapala DT Thug this year. Rapala, or Live Target or neither???? What's your thoughts????

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:24 am 
Walleye Angler

I prefer Lucky craft cranks I know there expensive but you don't have to tune them out of the package and you can find them new for 10 bucks a crank on the net. I run alot of the shallower cranks like the RC and the BDS, the BDS 2 works the best for me so far this year. But the two you listed I would go with Rapala thug I like there cranks they come with good hooks and you probalaby don't have to tune them either. Whats the price on a Rapala crank $15.99?? Havent bought any in awhile.

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 am 
Walleye Master

Somerdink wrote:
I prefer Lucky craft cranks I know there expensive but you don't have to tune them out of the package and you can find them new for 10 bucks a crank on the net. I run alot of the shallower cranks like the RC and the BDS, the BDS 2 works the best for me so far this year. But the two you listed I would go with Rapala thug I like there cranks they come with good hooks and you probalaby don't have to tune them either. Whats the price on a Rapala crank $15.99?? Havent bought any in awhile.

Rapala cranks are usually anywhere between say $8.99 and $11.99. The newer ones are at the higher end. Clackin minnows and raps are $14.99.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 am 
Walleye Angler

The key is to me is finding the cranks that you are confident in if your confident in Rapala thugs stick to thme because you know you can catch fish on them.

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:02 am 
Walleye Master

Actually, I should have said 0-3 feet. I already have enough cranks that run deeper. The thugs get down to about 8 feet. Looking for something to stay just above the weeds thats not actually considered "topwater"

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hi Walleye 9,

Here are a few of the hard bait options that Rapala offers for shallow water bass. Their lures are hand tuned and tank tested and I also find that they hold their tuning extremely well. As far as hooks go, the VMC black nickel hooks that come with these lures are excellent. They are both sticky sharp and strong.

Rapala Clackin’ Crank (New in 2011) Features the Clackin’ Cadence Rattle, square billed crank with a shad shaped body. The No. 5 dives to 3’ and the No. 7 dives to 4’. The amount of vibration that this rattle chamber gives off is incredible.

Rapala Crankin’ Rap (New in 2011) No. 3 dives 2’ to 3’ and No. 5 dives 4’ to 5’. Both the No. 3 and No. 5 feature a square bill. They also have a loud rattle.
Rapala Dives-To 4. Features a balsa wood construction, casts well and has an internal rattle. Also dives to 4’.
Rapala DT Fat 1 Dives to 1 foot on an aggressive cranking speed, or slow down the retrieve just a bit and run it as a wake bait. This bait has an extremely wide wobble and is definitely a big fish bait. It also has an Internal Rattle.

Rapala DT Fat 3. Dives to 3 feet. It is 2 ½” in length and has an extremely wide aggressive wobble. It also has an internal Rattle.

Rapala DT Flat 3. Dives to 3 feet. The flat sides of this balsa crank has a tighter action than the original DTs.

Also lipless cranks such as the Clackin’ Rap, and the Rattlin’ Rapala can be fished shallow with an immediate retrieve. As well, jerkbaits such as the Clackin’ Minnow Size 9, Flat Rap Size 8 and 10, Rapala MaxRap – all sizes, the various X-Raps, etc.

The new Rippin’ Rap (lipless crank) from Rapala will be unveiled this week at ICAST. I have seen it, and it is going to be a winner as well. If you guys are on facebook at all, check out the Rapala Army facebook page. This is updated by Rapala Canada and they will be posting videos and updates of the new products at ICAST this week. http://www.facebook.com/rapalaarmy

Good luck!
Jeff

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to be fishing Scugog a few times in the next couple of weeks, where 80% of the water is less than 10 feet deep, and the weeds are at water level, or just under, so I need some shallow cranks. I'll also be using jigs in the heavy stuff and drop shotting if I can find some open water.

Thanks Again!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Storm Subwart is a good one if you can find em. Wide wobble and a rattle, goes from just below the surface to 1'. Bass just love em, i use the 2" 5/16 oz size. If you find some let me know where. I'm looking for more.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:13 pm 
Walleye Master

Strike king all the way baby, i own most live target cranks, most rapala cranks, most lucky craft cranks... i am a hard core cranker...
The new kvd series just kicks butt.. most of there other stuff is either better or equal to the competition..
if you looking for lucky craft stuff, look at there catalog and let me know, i have removed all my 0-5 lucky craft cranks out of the boat... most of them have mustad kvd hooks. i got a ton of staysee, sammys and pointers as well.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:11 pm 
Walleye Master

Was on Scugog yesterday, and it was a slow day. Only 1 fish caught, and it was on the Rapala DT FAT. Tried Live Target frog, drop shot, jig and spinnerbait.

banner ad
banner ad