Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Ettiquette
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 am 
Walleye Angler

Common courtesy people. Do you drive your car like that??

I don't care if your boat goes 150 mph, if u see a boat fishing or a canoe sloow down and give them a wide birth. If they swamped and some one drowned, how would u feel??
If a guy hit my boat with his planner board he would loose it.
There ie plenty of water out there. no need too crowd anyone for any reason.
If u are in a tournament, talk too the angler and explain that u are in a tournament. He might say ok too go in front, if not move on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

This brings up a question that I've often wondered myself:

If I'm travelling fast in my boat, I have vey little wake. When slowing down for other smaller boats that are still a fair distance away, a massive wake is created.

Isn't it almost better to leave tons of room between and not slow down?

This has also been a burning question for me when I'm travelling thru the Rideau. The marina has a big sign that states it's a "no wake zone!" I believe to help keep the boats from banging the docks but also to reduce the land erosion.

I do everything I can to be considerate but get the stare from the boaters docked with the wake I create when going slow.

Although I don't, I honestly feel it's almost better to carefully go faster than swamp someone with a slow big-a#$ roller coming at them.

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

In a no wake zone you should be going slow enough to not put out those big waves. As for boats going by its not just the waves. I don't want a boat skimming me at 70mph. If they have a malfunction someone could die. My father took off hard while turning once and put his boat up on top of my uncles bass boat. He cleaned both of the windshields off. Its a good dammed thing my uncle was able to hit the deck. We had to pull the boat off with another one. It was a broken steering component that was the cause. You never know what's going to happen.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm 
Walleye

The international collision regs make good reading on a slow day, if everyone knew them instead of imaginary rules of ettiquette there would be less complaining.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Man, guys ,you have to calm down dude, nobody intentially runs a board into somebody,s boat,i run boards all the time ,big boards and in-lines,i,ve never run into anybody as of yet but sometimes people do get a little close,lol,i ve had charter boats almost touch my boards with theirs,gets the hairs up sometimes,but were all trying to do the same thing ,fish and have a good time ,the problems i thinks lies with overcrowding,jiggers and trollers dont respect each others space at all,last fall i was in a pack of trollers on thompsons,probably 30 boats trolling ,then 5-6 boats pull up and stop to jig,the trollers were scattering everywhere to avoid the jiggers that just pulled up,there were more than a few choice words screamed at each other,eventually a new trolling pattern emerged and all was fine but it falls to respect again,show some compassion and lets all use common sense out there it will make for a better day for everyone concerned,usually the jiggers are bass guys in bass boats,no problem with them doing their thing but it just show little to no respect ,its why i quite river fishing rainbows,you have 5-6 guys drifting a run and then a spinner jockey comes in and starts tossing spinners ,they just dont mix well in tight fishing conditions!!!!and ive also seen trollers try to weave through a pack of jiggers as well ,dumb at best ,there is lots of water to fish out there gentlemen and women,and lots of ways to catch fish as well,nobody,s wrong, we all have to share the same water, the guys that bug me are the ones that are on full plane and just run into your board lines especially with in-line boards,totally not paying attention to where they are travelling,lets all show some respect for fellow fishermen!!!!!

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:19 pm 
Walleye Fry

Thanx for all the feedback. It is good to see that there are people who care. I have always tried to impress good manners on and off the water with my son. Hopefully what he learns now will stay with him and he will understand right and wrong on the water also. One peeve of mine that I stress to him is when at the boat launch be organized and be quick. This is a problem for quite a few in the area. They go to boat launches and then think they are in a boat slip and take forfreakinever to either to get in or out. The bass guys are GREAT at this, sure they take every parking spot, sure they own every inch on the bay and of course they are all better at being better than all of us out there(lol) but, they get in and get out fast which I think is great. Thanx again for all the ideas and good luck on the water.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am 
Walleye

The cps boat pro coarse that gets you the card was originally designed for kids and then modified for the boaters card, and the cps guys will give him all the one on one teaching he needs so when you think he's old enough that would be a good start. Young people do very well on this coarse.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:19 pm 
Walleye

Hey matt people would not do that to a Ranger.

banner ad