Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 pm 
Walleye Master

The g.loomis drop shotting rod is kinda out of my price range right now.. but i would like to get a few drop shotting rods.. any recommendations ???

Thanks guys,

I love drop shotting out the big lake. guys call me nuts. but the more i do it, the more i love drop shotting... heck i even made the hour drive from kingston to bellvile, to get some more slammers, and 1/2 oz tug drop shots weights, i am running low on them. Are only fishing store in town, (canadian tire has only 6 different colors all ones i hate) quinte out door sports has a great selection all the key colors except goby. i am waiting for my order of them to come in the mail.. i cant find the berkley baits that i was using early in the bass season..
(i fish at least 3-4 days a week). If any one has never try drop shotting and wants to try it out, send me a pm, would love to take you out. i fish by my self most of the time.
steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 pm 
Walleye Master

the crutial dropshot rods are really nice steve same with the cumaras

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm 
Walleye Master

I've got 2 Rapala Walleye Team Issue "Live Bait Rig" rods that I use for any "light" fishing, where sensitivity is key. Lindy rig, drop shot, etc. They're 7'2 medium/light. I don't think they are considered a drop shot rod, but I tell ya, when spooled up with braid and a floro leader, I can feel a fish fart!! The slightest little tap, set the hook, and there's usually a fish there. I can't afford and don't have enough room in my boat to have a different rod set up for every technique, (8 rods is enough LOL) but these rods are great for sensitivity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:08 pm 
Walleye Master

Drop shotting rod is all you need for smallie fishing, maybe a med action cranking rod to work a jerk bait.. but your going to have a cranking rod in the boat any ways.
i dont walleye fish, or carry walleye gear in the boat during bass season. i will in the fall. sept/oct. and might make a few night fishing trips for lake o hawgs (walleye 10 plus pounds)

Thanks dave will have a look at them, i have been using g.loomis crankbait deep flex series rods for drop shotting as of late.. i love the rods, but i am convcied i am missing fish or slammers are garbage because i will cast out a brand new slammer, by time i get it boat side again, half of it or just the tail is gone... was using mostly berkly baits in the past, the slammers i have been using are about a year old, so maybe that has some thing to do with it..
or i am just missing light hits...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:31 am 
Walleye Master

Hey Fireball, I just Googled Drop shot rods, and it seems there a few different opinions on rods. Ranging anywhere from 6'4 to over 7 foot. Light to med/heavy. Depending on cover and other factors. For the amount of fishing you do, I'm assuming you already have a few rods within those boundaries. You probably already have a drop shot rod!!! LOL. Anyways, google it, and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 am 
Walleye Angler

I like the Dobyns Champion Extreme DX 792 SF. I know alot of guys don't like them that long but I do. The fact is you will have better line pick up and the rod can do the fighting of the fish better.

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 pm 
Walleye Master

whats the $ on the dobyns ryan?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

Crucial Dropshot Rods, Lifetime Warranty and if they are good enough for Simon Frost they are good enough for me.

Or go see Jamie at Pro Advantage, he has great St. Croix rods too, all price ranges and he is dropshot freak.

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 am 
Walleye Angler

Depends Dave on what series you want to get into. The Savvy runs from 149.99 to 169.99, Champion series starts at 219.99 to 249.99 and the Champion Extreme there top of the line right now stars at 319.99 to 339.99. All three lines have drop shot rods in them to suit what style of fishing you do. My favorite is the Champion extreme for bottom contact baits very sensetive rod, but the champion series is just as good in my own opinon.

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:29 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't drop shot, but my fishing partner does. He uses the loomis 7'1" NRX. I find some of the old school techniques will work just as well, if not better....cranks and weightless (or very lightly weighted) tubes get the job done for me on Erie....same type of fishing....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

-Dave- wrote:
the crutial dropshot rods are really nice steve same with the cumaras

:mrgreen: :D :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 pm 
Walleye Master

Is there actually a "drop shot rod" or is it just a certain length and action which makes it better for drop shotting?? I have 4 different rods, at different lengths, and different action, and I'm sure at least 1 of them would be considered a drop shot rod, although I use them all for different techniques. I drop shot alot, and I just choose the rod that I feel suits it the best. So far so good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:29 pm 
Walleye Angler

Works for me,
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... water.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 pm 
Guppy

furious wrote:
Crucial Dropshot Rods, Lifetime Warranty and if they are good enough for Simon Frost they are good enough for me.

Or go see Jamie at Pro Advantage, he has great St. Croix rods too, all price ranges and he is dropshot freak.

Colin is bang on,

go see Eric at Quinte Outdoors for the Crucial I thinks he is referring to is a 7,2" med heavy extra fast I have the Cumara and they are great rods with great sensitivity.

Yes St.Criox does make a nice rod as well, I also have a legend extreme and a legend drop shot rod. They have a less expensive version in the mojo series that is a great rod. ( ask my boy R. Conky :) )lol.

Thanks Colin now im a freak lol!

On another note Steve you do need a new rod if you cant feel those gobies biting the tails off your slammer! The Slammer is a real soft plastic it is not "garbage" they just don't like the wrath of the goby. Try out the Bass Magnet Twitch when your getting into goby land the, tails are a little stronger.

Jamie

Belleville ON
K8P 1A3

Phone; 1-613-967-6557
email; jamiepa1@hotmail.com
web; www.proadvantagepaintball.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 pm 
Walleye Master

Really its the gobys that bite the tails off ??
the old ones i have are in the strike zone packages, i may have bought them in 09.. i found a ton of baits when i cleared out the skeeter last year. one of the few baits i have ever bought that you can see the salt as you put your hook trew it..
thats funny because i used alot of the goby color pattern ones, dont have any left. hoping my order comes in the mail today.
i have been using slammers for awhile now, and actualy they arent my favorite drop shot bait(they do kick butt). i love the japanese stuff, problem is, it takes about 3 - 4 weeks to get, and well they sell out of colors all the time... so you try a new color, and it turns out to be hot,but you had only ordered 1 bag, and now your waiting for what feels like for ever to get more of them...
also love the berkley stuff, but berkley runs a product based on how it sells, so if i thought it was the best bait on the market, and it just didnt appeal to the customer, so people werent buying them.. the next year they would be discountinued.
sounds like shimano is the way to go, will have a look at the Dobyns Rods, it would be pretty cool to win a Lead Sled. aka ranger. lol.
Thanks guys

banner ad