banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boat Size??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 am 
Walleye Master

Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading to a bigger boat, and was looking for some opinions on size and style. I want something that will handle Quinte on the rougher days, and the minimum size to handle maybe even Lake Ontario or Erie comfortably on a calmer day. Also HP of motor. I currently have a 16' aluminum which is fine for the most part, but have been blown off Quinte quite a few times on rough days. Not looking for name brands, but throw them in if you'd like. Would be fishing mostly Walleye and Bass, so don't think i need downriggers or anything like that. It most likely won't happen for a year or two, but would like to start researching now.

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Boat Size??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:18 pm 
Walleye Master

figure out how much you can afford, then start looking around for what is availbe in that price range..
good thing about boats is they dont lose there value as fast as cars, so if you have to make the step to your dream boat, you can do so, with only losing a few thousand between boats.
but go as big as you can afford, would diffently look at those walleye boats, either a triton or a ranger..
my next boat will be some thing like this.. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005- ... c-96925809
walleye boats have a much slower top end then bass boats, but i would trade ability to take waves over speed any day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:33 pm 
Walleye Master

Ya Fireball, I agree. Not looking for a bass boat. Want something that can handle the big water rather than speed. Don't want to go too big, so I can still fish smaller lakes. Just looking for Length, width and depth that would be suitable for these conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:20 pm 
Walleye Master

sorry bud cant help, dont know aluminum boats too well... my dad has a tracker.. he loves it.. ask the land shark how well his 17 lund takes waves...
i would look at 18 or 19 feet thou.. but i was never blown of quinte when i had my 17 skeeter. i spend thousands of hours on quinte with it.. a lot of it was walleye fishing.
fiber glass boats are alot more work, they have to be waxed and washed regulary, i try to do mine after every second trip.
you have to be more carefull with them as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Depends on how much big water you do and if you think you will get into it more also depends on your budget.

But being that you have a 16' and want more I wouldn't go less then a 19'. The lund fisherman or tyee are examples. A decent casting deck and bow mount for casting. Good space behind the helm for trolling. Full winshield and top for weather protection. Big enough for some big water but small enough to easily trailer and launch.

Scott

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:54 pm 
Walleye Master

Oh as for power. Personally I'd max power it if possible. You will get it back in resale and it will perform better.

Scott

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks Scott. I wouldn't be doing that much Big water fishing, but would like to have the size if needed. 18-19' is kinda what I was thinking. Lots of room to move would be nice. As far as budget goes, I'd like to find out out what type of boat would be suitable, then figure out if the $$$$ is suitable. There's nothing wrong with my boat now, but everyone knows, it's never enough!!! LOL.
I probably have a year, or maybe 2 to think about it.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

i fish alot of lake erie and quinte,on all but the roughest days i have never been blown off either lake,lake O included,i fish a Tracker Pro-Guide 176,101" beam 25" transon,90hp with a 9.9 kicker,light enough to trailer where i want and sturdy and stable enough for the big water too,imo
Attachment:
028.JPG
Attachment:
002.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 am 
Walleye

10 years ago, I was asking myself the same question. I grew up on Lake Erie and knew I wanted a boat that was big enough to accommodate my two brothers & myself, with enough freeboard to handle reasonable wave action on the Great Lakes, fast enough to get off the water in a hurry if necessary, and small enough that I could trailer easily and launch by myself. Also had to have a full windshield and a standup top for protection from the elements. I ended up with a Princecraft 186 powered by a 140HP 4 stroke + a 9.9 HP kicker. This boat has served me well for 10 years and has met my needs perfectly, although it is sometimes difficult getting into smaller lakes without good launches - always a compromise to be made somewhere LOL.

Good luck in finding YOUR DREAM BOAT.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Im with Scott on a 19'er and max hp for the boat. friend has an 18' and its under powered and he regrets not buying the engine the boat is rated for. On rough days he has to get his partner to stand on the bow. When he takes 3 or more guys samething, someone on the bow. A couple of times in real rough water they had to plow back in cause they couldnt get it to plane. Most of the guys who have crossed big bay in rough waters in boats less than 18 feet then switched to a 19-21 ft boat will tell you there is a world of difference. Good luck in your search

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:00 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I recently upgraded to an 18.5 Starcraft Superfisherman. It is the widest 100" and deepest 29" I could find with a layout I wanted. As previously mentioned i wanted a full windshield, It came with a full camper top that doubles as a bimini. Easily handles the downriggers I have and it came with a 140 HP engine that allows me to troll down to 1.5 mph with 2 trolling bags. It is rated for 200 Hp. It also has an 80lb. terrova Ipilot with a 60" shaft.
The last boat I had was 17.5' rated for 115Hp. I had a 60 Hp motor that trolled flawlessly down to 1.2 MPH
The first time and now with my new boat I have never regretted not maxing out the power. I have saved money this way as well as not needing a kicker motor to troll.
By the way the fuel economy with the 1991 60 hp merc motor that I had for 16 years is the same as my new Suzuki 140 HP motor. That one fact amazed me, the newer technology can make new engines so efficient.
That's my .02 worth. a very satisfied customer that can take the boat out in whatever water I choose to go in.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks guys!! You've answered pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Like I said earlier, it may not be for a year or maybe 2, but at least I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!!

banner ad