Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advise on what to spool
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I just bought my first dipsy setup. Its a Okuma 10ft rod and a Magna 30cv reel. I don't have downriggers so I'll be running Dipsys and or Torpedos. I was thinking braid then lead core. Im not sure how much of each to run. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:01 pm 
Walleye Master

For a dipsy rod, 30lb braid or 30 lb wire.

Leadcore is a beast on its own. You can use torpedo's to get leadcore deeper, but I have never heard of anyone running dipsy's behind leadcore.

Leadcore is very speed sensitive. At salmon speeds 2.5 -3.5 mph is what I run, 10 colour core on its own will only get you about 30 ft down (working from memory but it won't go very deep).

You can spool over 1000' of 30lb braid on a size 30 reel. Using 107 mm walker deeper divers or a size 0 dipsy you can get down almost 90' with 300' of line out with lots of line left to fight the bruisers. My best rods are often dipsy rods. I love them. They are so cool to hit a fish on. You want to get pumped watch Big D's video. He posts these on Spoonpullers. The rod closest to the camera is the dipsy rod that just loads up with a fish, it doesn't snap up first like a rigger rod. I just love the way they load up and start screaming.

Enjoy his video.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/nf ... ctions.mp4

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:14 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

So you are saying just load up 1000ft of braid and forget the lead core all together? I know the large torpedo is capable of 80 ft on its own. I know they are relatively new but im not sure if they are gaining popularity or is there a reason they aren't?

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm 
Walleye Master

Yes, I would just load up with as much braid as you can get and forget the leadcore for now.

Leadcore would be a separate rod for other applications, but if I would go with a dipsy rod over a leadcore rod 99% of the time.

Torpedo divers are gaining popularity and they have their place just like everything else. A braid rod would let you run dipsy's or torpedo's and would be a more versatile rod then a leadcore rod. You can easily run a braid rod for walleye as well. I wouldn't hesitate to spool with braid over leadcore in your application.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:59 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That's a great video. Someday I hope to catch a fish like those. Thanks for the link Scott

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:08 am 
Walleye Master

leadcore is a nice addition for cranks while chasing fall walleye but for sure as scott said braid or wire is the way to go on the dipsy rod.......... My fishing guru (Al ) pretty much uses wire on all his dipsy rods......... ive heared al say if he could only take one set up out on the big lake it would be the dipsy rod........ from what little experiace i do have i have to say dipsy rod has about a 99% hook up rate compaired to the riggers or the boards. when a fish does hit the dipsy it usually stays hooked up due to the drag of the dipsy

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:44 am 
Walleye Master

That is a sick video. I'm a believer in the wire dipsey combo, Scott's fault...

Seeing that fire and the run to follow definately gets the blood pumpin! That said for now I just have two braid dipsey setups but will be adding the wire over the winter, perhaps from ole st nick... (if she knows whats good for her LOL)

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Isn't the braid bad for fleas? Do they come off or is the line screwed? I know Mono is bad for dipsys because of the stretch but what about torpedos? I was thinking of running them they seem like a simpler alternative.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:12 pm 
Walleye Master

You can run torpedo's off anything. Mono, braid, leadcore, or wire. That is one of the reasons I like them so much. they are very versatile.

Braid will pick up some fleas when they are bad. There really isn't much other then wire that will get you away from fleas. There are a few things you can do like slapping the line on the water as you bring it in to reduce them. Once they dry they will fall right off no harm done to the line, they are just a pain in the butt. I have lost a few fish when they are really bad and build up on the line so much you can retrieve it anymore and if the fish is coming at you they get slack line and you can lose them. The key in those times is to check lines every 20 - 30 min and clear the fleas off them so when you get a fish they aren't so bad. I know a few guys that have gone to wire even on their rigger rods when the fleas are really bad. The wire just cuts them off at the eye of the rod and no problems at all.

My advice would be to spool with 30lb 19 strand torpedo wire, or 30lb braid. Braid might make a more versatile rod in your application. Fleas are bad for 2 or 3 weeks and a braid rod can be used for walleye, or salmon so a versatile set up. If you add another rod to your collection later or want this rod specifically for salmon 19 strand torpedo wire all the way no hesitation.

Scott

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:19 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Scott,

I'm not going to get out for a couple weeks anyways because my boat is broke so I may just run braid. Don't I need a different rod for wire? Or can I just change to a roller tip?

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:36 am 
Walleye

A very interesting thread, and some good answers to questions that I have had for some time. I have a spare rod /reel and couldn't make my mind up on which way to go, but Scott's comments have convinced me to spool it up with braid & make it a dipsey rod even if I have had no experience with them - something new to try & learn. I had no idea they would go that deep.

Also interesting comments on fleas - had prior experience with them and it was "almost" bad enough to make me forget about salmon fishing - LOL.

This is the type of info that makes this site so valuable. Thanks for all the input everyone.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:20 pm 
Walleye Master

Here is a new product to strip fleas off your line. I haven't used one, but I heard they work really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcntlDE8 ... e=youtu.be

Scott

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:10 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I went too The Reel Thing today but he had no wire. I bought my roller tip and my first torpedo diver. I bought the big one. (Cuda) i'll pickup different sizes and a second Cuda down the road. I get the feeling im going to loose a torpedo to the church clip though. Why not just use a snap swivel?

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:36 am 
Walleye Angler

Listen to Scott his advice is right on. I run braid with dipsies and have taken about half our fish on them .

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:04 am 
Walleye Master

scott, i'm not sure if i would advocate torpedo 19 strand wire ....

i know vans said the problem with it have been reduced, but i'm not so confident (still saw a spool this spring cause an angler huge issues on the water).

i'd suggest malin standard 7 strand wire.

all else scott said is bang on!

(oh, and i've run a dipsy off leadcore.....don't ask why....well, lets just say it had to do with water fleas....)

banner ad
banner ad