Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Snake Island (Kingston)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 am 
Walleye

Hey guys, a while back my father and i used to take the boat out to shoals around snake island (between collins bay and Portsmouth Harbour) in the end of summer/early fall and just kill the walleye. Of course this was before the zebra mussel era. My question is, is this area still worth fishing ? It was quite productive for us back then, i'm talking probably close to 20 years, but now that I have a boat myself I'm wondering if it's worth a try? Any one have any advice?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:26 am 
Perch

....maybe ill try .I will let you know how it goes .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:35 am 
Walleye

Thanks, we got them mostly in the evenings, 6-9 in like 12-18 ft of water, I'm thinking I may give it a try anyways too. Probably come September. We nailed some big pike as well 13lbs was my biggest...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Melville shoal and middle ground still produces big eye's from mid aug till Nov , same old same old it's still an awsome place to fish , same baits ,same depths only the fish are a little bigger , stay after dark if you really want to produce :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:29 pm 
Walleye Master

melville can be tough to fish, its in the gap, so gets hammered by big waves more often then not. have spent around 50 trips out in that area so far this year. and fishing melville often isnt in the options due to 3-4 foot waves, i just cant control the boat well enough.
as the actual shoal is only like 5-6 feet deep. if its flat your probly not going to catch fish on it either... i just dont understand why its doesnt hold bass, or at least i cant catch bass around it... i caught lots of nice eye around it in may/june.

snake island is said to still be a good spot.. like you i havent fished it in years but i work with a guy that fishes it all the time... he only night fishes for walleye, from 8pm -10pm.

The strech along the hydro plant as allways been good as well, the shore line is a rock shelf for a few miles along there. you can get into any thing there thou, brown trout, maybe even a salmon, or laker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 am 
Walleye

Good to know fellas, I'll definetly head out there this Fall to see what I can get. I've been out near Melville before when the wind has picked up out of nowhere so I know exactly what you are talking about Fireball! I'll have to pick a nice calm night. Lookin' forward to it now!

banner ad