Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:46 pm 
Walleye Master

Well Boys it was another one of them dream days out on the big Lake O. Met at Als house brite and early for another day of fishing for the King Salmon out of Wellington. Attending was Myself. Al, and a suprize Guest Andy Todd who happens to be the Lake Ontario lake manager out of the glanora fish biology station.
As always it was no disappointment as we found ourself into fish pretty much right off the bat less than 5 minutes we had a fish on! and it proceded to rip thru our gear and give us what is better known as a tournement wrap lol needless to say we spent the next 5 minutes untangeling, and re rigging gear.
Fishing seemed to be up and down today little flurries of activity with some slack time inbetween as we slowly picked up fish one after another thru the morning. Late morning things started to pick up at a steady rate as we boated fish after fish after fish and the sizes started to pick up landing a few fish in the 20 plus range. I swear this salmon fishing can really beat a person up physically and mentally as I really struggeled with the rigging today.... by struggeling i means it was hard to keep up at one point it was non stop hour and a half rigging, clearing, landing, and rerigging lines to the point i yelled out enough! ENOUGH! sweat dripping no lines in the water blood all over the deck putting back what we could boxing what we had too and again im home, and ready for a nap lol. soar arms, tired back, I close my eyes and I hear the sound of drag going out lol
needless to say we had another banner day landing 15 kings, loosing at least 5 at the back of the boat. and most of what sanity i had left by the end of our trip. I need to go back to work just so I can have a little rest from the weekend of fighting salmon.
a Pic of Andy fighting a king
Al and Andy back at the docks holding up the prize
We didnt want to keep any fish but you find often you have to keep them because they battle so long and hard you know they wont make it if you send them back so later this evening it will be a cold pop and time to steak up some fish for the table

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:42 pm 
Walleye Master

Very Nice Guys, looks like a great day on the water. Some good eating coming your way.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:39 pm 
Walleye Master

good work guys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

Good job guys!
Good to hear there are still fish around!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:42 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice going again guys. Shakin' my head with envy!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:18 am 
Baitfish

NIcely done ! can you tell us?
how deep was the water & how deep were the fish?

caught on spoons?

thx !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 am 
Walleye Catcher

Way to go guys. You sure have these fish dialed in. That's for a great post.
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 am 
Walleye Master

moonracer wrote:
NIcely done ! can you tell us?
how deep was the water & how deep were the fish?

caught on spoons?

thx !

We were fishing what we locals call the Haystack & the Wall. A 14 mile run from the pier heads at Wellington. About 4 to 5 miles south west of the Bonnet Island. When we set up the fish were there, but there were or 5 other boats. I trolled away because there was too much boat traffic for me. I went to take a look at the long shoal called the Dog Bone. The picture was bleak so we worked the south edge of the Hay-Stack. When the boats cleared off the Wall & the Elbow we went back to work those kings.

Water that we tried to stay in was from 160' to 200'. Riggers were 100', 115' & 130'. I usually only fish 2 riggers but I added the 3rd to work a vertical spread. When working the edges of the shoals a vertical spread is the best technique. We really didn't want divers, coppers or cores getting in our way spinning off the edges of the shoals. A horizontal spread would really complicate things when making those quick 120 degree turns. Early in the morning we had 1 rigger high at 85' trying for those matures that were out of the water temp, and also the bottom rigger was at 140' periodically.

As for baits, very seldom I run spoons at this time of the year. The kings were caught on M. C. Rockets, meat rigs & flies behind Spin Doctors & Protrol E-chip flashers. Spoons do not work that well at the slower speeds that I run.

Hope this helps.
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 pm 
Baitfish

Wow excellent reply! thanks for all the detail...

I just returned frm my first ever trip to Kitimat BC where my daughter took me out for the day catching Cohos & Pinks (& dungenes crab as well)...on the Douglas inlet. I'm told it's 500 feet deep in places... we were down rigging at 30 feet.

We used (dead / frozen) herring on a barbless 2 hook rig behind a dodger(?)

I have not done much down rigging to date ... & It's been 8 or ten years since I've done any down rigging at all. After my trip tp BC I kinda got the bug again !

Your pictures & narrative are very cool & truly appreciated....
thanks a lot for sharing!

Moonracer

banner ad