Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:19 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:45 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I went out at first light this morning and tried my new rods. I had no partner so I was solo. Man that's tough fishing alone. I was BUSY. I tried torpedo divers first and ended up with a huge tangled mess. I reset with Dipsys and I prefer them by far. They were so much easier to deal with. I was using a green dreamweaver fly with a white SD on one rod and since I lost my other SD I just ran a bare greasy chicken on the other. I immediately got one small king (i think) on the spoon. Then I got a hard hit on the fly rod. He spooled out 200+ ft on me then I started making headway. I got him back to about 200ft off the boat and I had tightened the drag as he was letting me reel him. (or so I thought) then he pulled like crazy I didn't get to the drag quick enough and he straightened the hooks on me. What a blast. I've never had a fish that strong on a line before. I have no idea how big he was but he was dammed strong. He straightened the single and all 3 trebles had to be reset. I then got 3 more small kings (1 on the fly and 2 more on the spoon) and lost one small one. I think I was fishing a bit too shallow. I was in about 150 to 165 ft of water. I was using #1 dipsy's with the magnum rings. 1 was out 225ft on 0 and the other was 280ft on 3. Does anyone know where I can get a chart showing the magnum rings? Or even a magnum chart? I think the actual magnums are heavier no? Here's my lame small fish :) I'm on holidays this week so hopefully I get out again before the salmon are gone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:02 am 
Walleye Master

Nice job fishing at the Bonnet. Never over tighten your drag on these sharks, they will surprise you at times.
Especially this time of the year when the matures have the tough jaws,

I think Chris had the Precision trolling guides at the Reel Thing in Wellington.

If not he can order them.

number 1 dipsy with mag ring set on 0 on wire will not run much over 90' at 2.5 mph out 225' ( in fact 90' is about max even out 500')
number 1 dipsey with mag ring set on 3 on wire will max out about 70' no mater how much line out.

Hope this helps
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:51 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great thanks. I'll pick one up. I'm sure it would have been funny to see the look on my face when he made his charge. He surprised the he'll out of me.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:08 am 
Walleye Master

Nice job!

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 am 
Walleye Master

Awesome!! I can vividly remember my first salmon that I hooked all by myself what a great feeling.

Post more pictures as you get them.
Scott

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:36 am 
Walleye Wisdom

good job on the salmon. keep at it.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:47 pm 
Walleye Master

Nicely done. It's a lot tougher on your own for sure. Sure makes it worth it though when you get a few.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 pm 
Walleye

Looks like a good keeper!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:08 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks guys. I was pretty happy with what I caught. Good learning fish lol. 4 to boost my confidence and one to keep me grounded lol. My son is in Pei all month so I'll be solo for a bit yet. Its really busy but by the end of the day I was doing ok. The first hour was pretty frustrating. I even tried to remove a couple fingers when the prop hit my wire while I was trying to free a big tangle. I got cut on 2 fingers but I was dammed glad for just that. That wire could remove them pretty cleanly im sure. Newb mistake and I was lucky. Next time if im alone i'll just stop.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:48 am 
Walleye Master

rtkman wrote:
Thanks guys. I was pretty happy with what I caught. Good learning fish lol. 4 to boost my confidence and one to keep me grounded lol. My son is in Pei all month so I'll be solo for a bit yet. Its really busy but by the end of the day I was doing ok. The first hour was pretty frustrating. I even tried to remove a couple fingers when the prop hit my wire while I was trying to free a big tangle. I got cut on 2 fingers but I was dammed glad for just that. That wire could remove them pretty cleanly im sure. Newb mistake and I was lucky. Next time if im alone i'll just stop.

Glad to hear you are ok. That is a VERY dangerous situation. If you have your fingers in or around the wire, or any line for that matter, and there is a small chance of it getting into your prop put the boat in neutral. It can and will take a finger off in a heart beat. Not chastising you, we have all been lucky because of something stupid we have done. The important thing is to learn from it. Sounds like you have. It never ceases to amaze me how fast situations can turn serious.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:17 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Yup I learned my lesson and im dammed lucky I got away with little cuts.

banner ad
banner ad