Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Just a Question??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm 
Walleye Master

For all the people that use braid with floro leader while long line trolling. (planer boards, or flatline) has anyone ever considered using mono as a leader to give you that little bit of stretch on the hookset that braid and fluorocarbon won't give you?? Apparently red mono is just as "invisible" as fluorocarbon. I've read stories of the hook ripping out of the fishes mouth on the hookset due to no stretch in the line. I've only used planer boards a couple of times, so I'm trying to figure out the best setup for line.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Just a Question??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:23 pm 
Walleye Master

yep. I always use mono. and for exactly the reason you mentionedill run about a 5 foot lead, the streach helps out with the shock if fish were all that smart they wouldnt even hit a lure, so in my oppinion the line isnt a huge factor when the bite is on usually thats under low light conditions, mid day you just work around the weed edges and catch the fish thats laying in an ambush situation......... of course im not a pro fisherman by any standards, but i do catch my fair share of fish....and naturally Shark and Jason will beg to differ on that one!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:03 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Strangely enough he does catch his fair share of fish :roll: . Hell he gives the scuba diver a hard time every winter trying to catch up to his jig :lol: . Lol.
Great tip to know guys. Thanks for sharing.
Jason

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:46 pm 
Walleye Master

rod action also plays a big factor, steve hamilton would be the guy to ask this question. i remember him talking about his gloomis rods in the past. in his pictures it was bent over like a rain bow.
i like using medium action rods, with a fast to extra fast tip. this is same deal as cranking for bass. the reason why guys use the floro leader is because strength and its near invisible. have seen many guys use this set up, only ever seen people lose fish due to knot slippage. thats the big problem with floro. i due belive in that red line thou, i have it on one of my surf (saltwater rods) it came on it. i honestly dont like floro, but i have been out fished by it many times, and out fished guys many times using it, vs mono or braid. that includes the grizz 2- none.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:09 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks guys. I always use braid with floro leader in the spring and summer when I'm casting or jigging for bass and walleye with a short line, but maybe different in the fall when you're trolling with 150 to 200 feet of line out. Don't know if the theory of the red mono disappearing is true or not, but I think I'm gonna give it a try this fall.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 pm 
Walleye Master

Don't mean to keep rambling about line, but if you're going to use a floro or mono leader, why not just spool up with the floro or mono and forget the braid. Why use 30 or 40 pound braid, and use a 12-17 pound leader?? Kinda defeats the purpose of the strength of the braid. You don't need sensitivity when trolling with planer boards. But I think when you're planer board trolling, the braid/mono combination might be good. Straight up mono might be too much stretch, but braid with a 20 or 30 foot mono lead might be alright.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

In my experience spooling with floro leads to nothing but problems. It seems to have a higher memory and loses its strength after some exposure to the elements. I've tried it and got nothing but birds nests and break offs.

People like the braid for its durability, plus the ability to run heavier test line, yet have a small diameter line that lets you get your baits down deeper when trolling. The dive curve charts available for cranks are based on 10lb mono, but if you used a 30lb braid 8lb diameter you could get some extra depth out of your cranks and have all the strength you need.

That being said, no reason you can't run straight mono and just run more line back from the boat. Some folks have several rods set up and use the heavier mono for running baits higher in the water column and braid/leader combos to run baits deeper. I don't think the mono vs floro is as big a deal when you're using a horizontal presentation like trolling, as opposed to a vertical presentation like jigging/rigging where you keep the bait right in the fish's face. In that case I want the floro.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:04 pm 
Walleye Master

Do you think if walleye were that smart and could see that great they would swim into nets? Use straight mono and be done with it

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:36 pm 
Walleye Master

Im pretty new to the eye game (3rd Fall) and have always used power pro (20lb). This year ive got 4 rods ready to go and since they are dual purpose salmon/walleye they are rigged as such. 2 with power pro and 2 with mono. Im looking forward to seeing if there is a difference at all...

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm 
Walleye Master

TheLandshark wrote:
Do you think if walleye were that smart and could see that great they would swim into nets? Use straight mono and be done with it

Troll alert!!! Troll alert!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 pm 
Walleye Master

The pros fishing Lake Michigan state that the releases on in-lines cause braid lines to fatigue and become brittle causing break offs. Just some thing to be aware of. i agree with Shark & I also use a lot of mono, but I do have flouro on my cores for the simple reason that they are also my salmon rigs.

Can't wait till fall now. Grizz & I pulled the engine out of the Grand Slam tonight. Have to replace the coupler - it lasted for 35 years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:17 pm 
Walleye Master

TheLandshark wrote:

Ya, I don't know about the vision thing, but if that's the case, I guess there's no point in buying the red line. I just thought with 150 - 200 feet of line out, straight mono would have too much stretch.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:31 pm 
Walleye Master

i buy red because its a confidence thing, it definately wouldnt have too much stretch

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:38 am 
Walleye Master

check the poll i did a while back, was surprised how many guys run floro leaders.
there is some top notch guys that gave replys as to why they run, floro leaders, i belive sheldon even made a post..
running straight floro has been nothing but a night mare for me, i now respool after every use..
and you have to use a swivle with straight floro..
i belive in floro, its a confindence thing for me.. i belive in the hole active vs non active fish stuff... and i want to catch both...

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 am 
Walleye Master

Everryone fishes fall walleye differently....

Mono doesn't go near my boat.

I use 30lbs braid and 17 lbs flouro leads...

I never ever set the hook.

I use 100% graphite rods...no salmon rods or similar...

BUT in my personal opinion, what keeps the fish ON after the initial strike is not the rod, line, or hookset....

ITS THE HOOKS.

I change each and every hook to the bronze original triple grip hook.... No bulky Kvd hook, no black coated hook, simple the bronze original triple grip hook....

I don't accept stretch on my rigs - anywhere....

I'm currently using BRAID on my RIGGER rods for salmon...just a 9' flouro lead to the braid....that way - cvan fit 700' of line on my stradic 4000 spinning reels...

I don't like and don't use mono..

Right rods and the right hooks and stretch becomes a nuisance, not a friend.

banner ad
banner ad