banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:28 pm 
Walleye

The reason smaller retailers failed in Kingston was because of CTC. 75% of the folks who buy tackle aren't interested in the flavor or technique of the day and CTC is easy to stop at when you are shopping for other stuff. We had a great store in Kingston years ago but he changed locations and nobody followed him. His new location killed him. The reason serious anglers support a particular store is availability of new or specific product but if price comes into the equation then the independents can't compete. Locally CTC has filled a void and they deserve some credit for that because they have a large stock considering the number of bait products on the market today. As an Uncle Josh user for many years I gave up on finding a dependable supplier in Canada and have always ordered from BPS in the states.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

I agree Jim, but it is a little disappointing that a local guy can't make it work here in this area. The other issue anymore is carrying more than fishing, you need hunting, outdoors etc. to carry the business in the slow months.

I have to admit there is an exception to the rule though, when you go to Paddletales Ed has it dialed in and not only carries a large variety he will find the hard to find stuff you need as well.

Quinte Fishing in Belleville is great too, Eric will order in stuff that he doesn't have if you ask him too.

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:11 pm 
Walleye

true enough but Ed has a very large population center close by with an equally large # of serious bass anglers and as a fellow tournament angler he has been able to identify with them. He does not have CTC in his yard as a competitor and they don't cook turkey like he does. He works hard to keep his business name up there. If you're gonna drive to Winchester you want to be reasonably assured that he has something for you. The only thing I have purchased from him was a licence renewal but any time I have asked him for info he has always been more than willing to respond quickly via email and that is what it takes to stay competative today. CTC won't do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

The Fishbelly hawgshad has been my #1 drop shot bait. You'll have to order online or go to 1000 Islands Bait & Tackle to get some though. If they won't hit them I'll throw a Bass Magnet twitch. If they still won't hit keep moving because they won't hit anything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 am 
Minnow

Venom goby in olive with purple flake or Berkley powerbait shad 3 inch have been my go to baits this year.Fishing deep now,there's no seeing the bait but on sonar.I use "juice" on every desent down.
Sometimes I find its more the time of day than the presentation.I don't tournement fish though so there's no pressure to catch during certian hours of the day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:01 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hi guys,

When it comes to the Twitch baits, what are some of the more productive colours?

Thanks.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

I prefer Dirty Purple, Golden Boy, Spanky and Green Pumpkin Pepper myself...

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 pm 
Walleye Master

those are solid lake ontario colours, but different colours for lakes like erie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for all the replys guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'd use them anywhere gobie's are present to be honest...

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 am 
Baitfish

Here are a couple of dropshot baits to try Slammer & Poor Boy's Baits 'Erie Darter'. I have use both of them and are a very good baits for dropshot.

banner ad