Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:30 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 pm 
Walleye Master

The Ministry of Natural Resources has its own program for disposing of cormorants, including a controversial exercise five years ago to shoot the birds near Presqui'ile Provincial Park.

But a Picton man found not even the ministry approves of all methods of disposing of the pesky, prolific birds.

Picton's John Rorabeck pleaded guilty in Brockville court to killing 100 cormorants on the Saint Lawrence River, east of Gananoque.

Rorabeck pleaded guilty to killing the birds on islands near Mallorytown Landing in the St.Lawrence River between May and June. Court heard Rorabeck admitted to stringing gill nets around Griswold Island and two other islands on the river between to catch adult cormorants in the nets. Conservation officers who charged him said Rorabeck monitored each island daily and killed all the birds caught in the net, as well as young chicks found in nests, totalling 125 birds.

He was fined $5,000 and ordered to make a $1,000 donation to Ducks Unlimited.
http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisp ... ?e=3286648

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

As I said in a previous post, we should take up a collection a pay his fine with thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree Dave the Judge should have give this guy a pat on the back and made the MNR pay him for his services.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

The man is a Saint!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:05 am 
Walleye Master

On the Spoonpullers Forum they have already started a fund to help pay the fine. I agree 100% he should be paid for his services.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:29 am 
Site Admin

The guy is a hero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Fact Sheet
Double-crested Cormorants in Ontario
History
Double-crested Cormorants are not new to Ontario; they are known to have been a resident of Lake of the Woods since 1798. The earliest nesting record for cormorants in Ontario is from Black Bay in Lake Superior in 1920. By 1931, cormorants were breeding in Lake Huron and by 1938 they were breeding in Lake Ontario. Today cormorants are found throughout the Great Lakes and in many inland lakes and rivers in Ontario.
Biology
Identification – Double-crested Cormorants are likely the only cormorant species to be seen in the Great Lakes region. Cormorants are about the size of a small goose and have a uniform shiny greenish-black feather colouring. The bill is long (5-8 cm), slender and hooked at the end. They often fly singly or in small flocks flying in a single line or V-formation. Cormorants are fish eating birds and consume small bait-sized fish and some aquatic insects.
Range – Cormorants breed in Canada as far west as Alberta and easterly to the Atlantic Coast including Newfoundland. In Ontario, they are found throughout the Great Lakes and have a breeding range that extends north up to Southern James Bay and Lake Abitibi. Cormorants that breed in Ontario typically spend winter months in southern United States.
Breeding – Cormorants are sexually mature by 3 years of age. Both male and female cormorants take care of the nest and young. Cormorants are a long-lived bird species and in the wild have been known to live for up to 23 years.
Nesting – Cormorants are a colonial nester selecting islands as breeding areas. Nests are found on the ground or within the upper branches of trees, directly adjacent to water. Nests are composed of sticks, leaves, weed stalks and other available material. Cormorants lay an average of 3-4 pale greenish-blue eggs with a chalky covering.
Populations
Cormorant populations have been increasing the past few decades throughout Ontario. Non-native baitfish in the Great Lakes, such as smelt and alewives, has provided an ample source of food for cormorants. As well, a reduction of toxins such as DDT has enabled cormorant populations to increase. Cormorants have been dispersing into new habitats and expanding their North American range. In some areas of Ontario, their recent rapid expansion has had impacts on terrestrial and aquatic environments and has resulted in increased public concern.
Legislation
In Ontario cormorants are protected under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA). Cormorants are not a game species and cannot be hunted. Under Subsection 31(1) of The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA), an individual who believes on reasonable grounds that cormorants are damaging or are about to damage their property can harass, capture or kill the cormorants on their own property.
Fact Sheet
Double-crested Cormorants in Ontario
Protection of Property
Cormorants are known to kill trees used for roosting or breeding sites. The death of the trees and under-story vegetation occurs due to deposition of guano. Under provisions of the FWCA the destruction of trees and vegetation on private property or depredation of fish from a privately owned aqua-culture facility, may constitute reasonable grounds to harass, capture or kill cormorants. Cormorants are very susceptible to disturbance; therefore harassment techniques can be quite effective. Constant human presence on an island during nesting or roosting periods will discourage cormorants from using an island. In situations where constant presence isn’t possible, then, harassment techniques such as using bangers or air horns may deter cormorants. As a last measure landowners may kill cormorants to protect property. The FWCA requires that there be no unnecessary suffering to the birds and that control is limited only to the number of birds that is necessary to protect the property. Dispatch of adult nesting cormorants would deprive the hatch of sustenance and shelter and cause it to suffer. Landowners who chose to exercise their rights to protect private property should only do so at a time and in a manner that would not cause unnecessary suffering to adult cormorants or their progeny.
A landowner may acquire an agent to do the harassment or killing of cormorants that are damaging property if the person belongs to a class of agents prescribed by the regulations or has an authorization from the Ministry of Natural Resources.
Eggs or nests cannot be disturbed without authorization by the Ministry of Natural Resources.
Cormorants on Crown Land
Cormorant breeding and roosting colonies on Crown lands are protected under the FWCA. It is illegal to harass, capture or kill cormorants on Crown land , including cormorants swimming in or flying over lakes and rivers.
Current Status
The Ministry of Natural Resources is interested in cormorant populations throughout Ontario and has been involved in cormorant monitoring and research in a number of areas. Recently, Presqu’ile Provincial Park has been actively managing cormorant populations to prevent negative impacts on the park ecosystem.
The MNR is working with the Canadian and U.S. federal governments and other Provincial and State governments in North America to share information about cormorant populations.
MNR has assisted the Canadian Wildlife Service in monitoring population trends of all colonial nesting water birds on Lakes Huron, Erie and Ontario. MNR is also aware of many inland lake cormorant populations and in some cases has been involved in providing breeding evidence to the Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas.
The ministry is committed to maintaining a diversity of environments in Ontario and this includes habitat for cormorants. Future management for cormorant populations will be determined based on results of current research and will involve consultation with stakeholder groups and interested clients.
For more information on cormorants please contact your nearest District MNR office. 2

http://www.zoocheck.com/cdiwebsite/Fact%20Sheet.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:19 pm 
Walleye Master

i was just thinking, that the commerants had really disapeared, in that area. i was actualy fishing there, aug 31.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:39 am 
Walleye

My wife's uncle lives in Parry Sound,last year we talk about Cormorants .He is 93 years old, he was telling me he had buddy worked for shotgun shell company (CIL ?).They use load up the boat go out on Georgian Bay have a field day.They would come back in and clean up the empty cases with snow shovels out of bottom of the boat.He said the sky was just black with these Cormorants,fishing up there was terrible every year you caught less and less fish.He said you could shoot 100 birds a day if your shoulder could hold up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 am 
Walleye Wisdom

He didn't get enough of them. I was over on Wolfe Island yeasterday doing some tree stand work and comming back to K-town on the ferry there was a flock of at least 200 cormorants. We can only hope the MNR will eventually get on board and take aggressive steps to control the population of these menaces.

I have only seen a few single birds on the back lakes and haven't seen any roosting sites. If they do start roosting up here I can telll you their not going to get a very warm welcome.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:45 pm 
Walleye Angler

I remain surprised as to why raccoons have not been migrated or been transplanted to some of these islands, concentrations of birds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm 
Perch

I have shot a pile of them, legally, under a permit. It was fun!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

Here is what I can't understand???
I know the ministry visit this site frequently and in doing so am puzzled as to why they don't see how the very people who complain about these birds are also the ones in part who help fund their departments by way of licencing etc..
I am quite sure that if more tree huggers seen the destruction these birds cause or the amout of fish they eat in a single day we wouldn't have the problems with them we have now. I can only imagine in each district which have these birds the path of destruction they leave behind. I know as do all the people who either live here in or around Belleville or have even went for a boat ride on the Quinte have seen the islands that are infested with the damn birds as well as the smell left behind. Why don't the people who pay their fees have more of a vioce in what goes on with these big water birds.
Just my two cents worth as well as a little frustration

Paul

banner ad