Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 am 
Walleye Angler

I just moved to South shore rd Hay Bay. Decided to go down fishing late one Sunday night. I am a Preacher in Deseronto, so I wasn't able to fish until late that night. Anyways, I fished until about midnight, and then decided to pack it in.

I grabbed all of my tackle, and my worms and went up stairs to go to bed, but forgot to bring my rod. Big mistake, I guess someone thought that a rod not put away is the same thing as a free rod, so they took it.

Good thing it was only one of my cheaper rods and not one of my flippin sticks. However just the thought that nothing is safe at my dock kinda sucks. I was planning on leaving my boat down there, but now I don't know if I can. Maybe they will think that a boat not trailered is as good as a free boat.

If anyone hears anything, please let them know that 1201 south shore rd isn't a place to help your self to free fishing gear.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 pm 
Walleye Master

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear that dan. I can't believe someone was even out that late and pulled up to your dock because I'd think it would be too dark to see anything in your boat until you were in it...

Sorry for your loss

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

I never noticed it gone until the following night when I went to go to the dock for an evening fish. They could have taken it at any point during that time. Maybe they came by when I was at work during the day.

Anyways, now everything is under lock and key. Just sucks that it has to be that way. Back at our cottage on east lake we never lock things up. Kids leave stuff laying everywhere and it is never taken. I was hoping this place would be the same. I wanted to build a little boat house down by the water to store my stuff in, but I will have to rethink that plan now.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I am on Green PT, Mohawk Bay. Take my boat out of the water when I am not there and put it behind my camp. Last year someone came in uncovered it and took :( about $10,000 in fishing gear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

When I am at my trailer I pull everything out of the boat each night. Pain in the arse but i'm not taking any chances. While out fishing shorelines I cant count the number of waterfront owners who leave rods and valuables in their boats and on the dock. I wouldn't

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Stealing from a preacher…….I’m not religious, but I am a fisherman and fisherman are superstitious. That can’t be good ! Wherever your rod is now; its cursed for life.

All jokes aside; we own a cottage near Green Pt and occasionally (once a year or so) we do see a suspicious boat approach our dock late at night (2am, 3am , 4am…). I do not believe it’s a systemic problem within the Quinte area…..probably just one or two individuals who think they have a slick way to avoid the law.

Consider a dock light, motion sensor, or camera. For me; anytime there is movement at our cottage I am notified within seconds and pictures sent to my phone……its just a matter of time before my problem is resolved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

Matt I would love to know your security system and set something up like that at my place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm 
Perch

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I am on the South Shore as well (1947) and luckily, knock on wood, I have been fortunate to not have anything gone missing in the 6 years that I have been there.

On one account,last summer, there was 3 guys who were snooping around my dock and outbuildings as well as my neighbors boat and pumphouse. They must have heard him pull in the driveway because they scattered. He watched them jump back in thier boat and head straight across the bay to the North shore. That served as an eye opener to me.

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry about your experience. That certainly isn't the welcome anyone deserves. I believe that its the "one bad apple" senerio which unfolded here. In my experiences, it's a great area and I am very happy that I am where I am as I'm sure you will be as well.

I did find the camera sending a picture to the cell phone idea from a previous post very interesting as well. Peace of mind when your not around would go a long way. I may look into it as well.

Cheers,
Mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:03 pm 
Walleye Master

mr. walleye wrote:
I am on Green PT, Mohawk Bay. Take my boat out of the water when I am not there and put it behind my camp. Last year someone came in uncovered it and took :( about $10,000 in fishing gear.

The next thieves will be movie stars though pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

how about a " electric fence set-up "
for on the shore storage
but

use 110 volts
that should sparkle who ever puts their fingers to it.

the ole bluedog
that shows no pity to those

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

Deer Camera's, place a few around your dock, works like a charm. Also go to a sign shop and have a few signs made up on posts that say this property has a monitored alarm and camera system on them. Aside from that a big old dog house with a really heavy chain leading into it is a really good deterrent to most smart thieves!!!

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

welcome to the area dan, i live just west of the church. if your looking to keep n eye on things on your dock send me a pm i may have a couple of options for you. i have a cuddy i lock stuff in but will be installing a small 12volt camera system for when im not around the boat.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:49 pm 
Walleye Master

well better a cheap rod then a boat motor, i grew up near the old haybay church,
we had a few 9.9's stolen. it wasnt so bad the first time, they stole a 70's motor, and insurance replaced it with a brand new one.
i think its because there is cops out there so people think they wont get caught, but i see the police boat out there often, so hope fully with time they will get busted....

i live in whats refered to as the ruff area of kingston, and i have left my boat uncovered with rods on the deck a few times, and have never had any thing go missing. i try to not do it, but some times i run late, and forget.. i often go fishing before i have to go to work.

banner ad