banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is it true?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:26 pm 
Walleye

I was just wondering if there was any truth to the rumor that the Quinte fishing series was going to vote on cutting off access to the big lake for its tournaments?

Last edited by wrighty52 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Is it true?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:48 pm 
Walleye Master

you mean make the quinte fishing series have to fish quinte ... what a crazy concept.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:50 pm 
Walleye Master

LOL!! Why fish the lake the tournament is held on?? Go to a bigger lake and catch bigger fish!!!! Kinda makes it hard for the smaller boats to compete.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would definitly vote yes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:25 pm 
Walleye

I have been wanting to fish in the series for a few years and it looks like my fishing buddy and I are gonna give it a go next year. The only thing that has been holding us back is knowing that you just cant compete with someone who is willing to spend hundreds of dollars in gas money to make the huge runs to the lake. We made the decision the start fishing them next year anyway, but hearing that news was kind of exciting. Maybe its just a rumor.
Who knows maybe we still wont be able to compete, but it would be nice to level the playing field slightly.
I have noticed that the number of boats entering the tournaments have decreased significantly and from what I hear not being able to compete with the big boats is the main reason.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 pm 
Walleye Master

I understand both sides of this. There are many of teams who have made big runs and not done well. It's tourney fishing, a form of gambling. Sometimes you are the hero sometimes the zero. Arent there a lot of smaller tournies geared toward smaller pay days and boats?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:58 pm 
Walleye Master

steve-hamilton wrote:
you mean make the quinte fishing series have to fish quinte ... what a crazy concept.

The National Hockey League plays in Canada :o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

Entries for most circuits has fallen this season. More tied to rising costs than anything....

Honestly, the argument of my boat isn't big enough, fast enough etc. are all excuses... It's the anglers in the boat that catch the fish, not the boat or the motor. Yes it helps to be able to run further and faster, but there are more boats that can run to the lake every event that don't, they don't use the size and speed excuse.

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

wrighty52 wrote:
I have been wanting to fish in the series for a few years and it looks like my fishing buddy and I are gonna give it a go next year. The only thing that has been holding us back is knowing that you just cant compete with someone who is willing to spend hundreds of dollars in gas money to make the huge runs to the lake. .....

Awesome! You will have a blast!

wrighty52 wrote:
I have noticed that the number of boats entering the tournaments have decreased significantly and from what I hear not being able to compete with the big boats is the main reason.

This is a question that i know the organizers would like to know the answer to. Where did you hear that it was due to the smallmouth/largemouth parity?

It's hard to gauge as almost all the different circuits were down this year, so I wouldn't say the drop was 100% attributed to the perception of 'competition'. I do agree though, some of the best, closest events this year were the openner (largemouth only) and the 1-day where hurricane Irene paid us a visit.

Last edited by MattClapp on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:23 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

TheLandshark wrote:
steve-hamilton wrote:

The National Hockey League plays in Canada :o

Ya because all the best players are from Canada eh :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:27 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree Shark, but why have a tourny on the Bay, and everybody launches in Belleville, but fishes in Lake Ontario. If you wanna fish the big lake, enter a big lake tourny!!! You can still have a big payout tourny on a smaller body of water. I'm no pro by any means, and I fish out of a 16' boat, but I'd love to enter a decent size tourny if it was limited to Quinte. (Trenton to Glenora Ferry) I couldn't compete with guys with bigger boats that make the run out Lake O, but might stand a chance if it was limited to the Bay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:28 pm 
Walleye Master

when i fished the one qfs tourny i fished outta a 14 foot tinny, ya i knew i couldnt run to the lake and that was fine, Matt seely ran to the lake and only got 8lbs and change we stayed in big bay and got 12, ended up in 48th place but it was fun, if you want to use the excuses about the big boats running to the lake, then dont fish the tourny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:41 pm 
Walleye Master

-Dave- wrote:
when i fished the one qfs tourny i fished outta a 14 foot tinny, ya i knew i couldnt run to the lake and that was fine, Matt seely ran to the lake and only got 8lbs and change we stayed in big bay and got 12, ended up in 48th place but it was fun, if you want to use the excuses about the big boats running to the lake, then dont fish the tourny

I hear ya bro, and that's fine if it's only $30 or $50, but wouldn't it be better if it was bigger $$$$ and have it be equal for everybody??? Then the guys like you and me could compete. It's not an excuse, like I said, if you wanna fish Lake Ontario, then enter a Lake O tourny.

Just sayin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:02 pm 
Walleye Master

we are going to fish it, next year if it doesnt change, if it changes we will be doing renagade instead.
i currently run two small entry fee's series,(ones 40, the other is 60) i still make up to 1 hour runs to get to the fish. i have made those runs more then once, and lost to guys that didnt go far from the ramp. i lose 2 hours fishing time, and burn over 100 liters of gas... if i win i might get 4-500, (probly spend that with pre-fishing costs). but i do i because i love it...
i bet the asselstines would love to see this go threw, they won team of the year again, and they are known for fishing largemouth in the bay.

if any one read the write up, matt seely, made the run on the sunday of the classic, in a 18 foot boat with a 150. to win the classic.

as far as i am concerned making this a bay only series, make it a family series, great for father son teams, guys that just want to fish for fun, and not a pro circuit, like top bass, rengadge, simcoe series, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

To answer the original question. As far as I know, there have been no decisions made as to the 2012 season. There was a survey on this site, publicly viewable, which was directed to QFS competitors. Question#1 related to the largemouth only/boundaries/hybrid.

It’s a complicated topic. I think the QFS needs more –Dave-(s) that’s a fact; and if –Dave- catches 18+lbs, then he should have a chance.

Fireball – very interesting. I would like to see you on QFS. QFS has never positioned itself as the pinnacle of competitive bass fishing in Ontario. There are options for that if that’s what you want to do (FLW, Canadian Open, B.A.S.S., B1). Don’t get me wrong, the QFS field is deep and is full of guys who have been to the top of Canadian bass fishing……..and now choose QFS.