Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is it true?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:29 am 
Walleye

Its fair to say that the guy catches the fish and not the boat, but you have to admitt that running to lake O isnt exactly a BOQ tourney. To be honest my fishing buddy and myself just dont have the resources to spend hundreds of dollars a weekend on entry fees, and gas. Let alone owning a big boat that you could do that in. But we do have a desire to fish competatively. I dont know maybe the QFS isnt the place to do that.
Either way i think it would be nice if it was a BOQ only tournament. The problem is if someone wanted to start a series like that you are competeing with the 500 other tournaments a year on the bay already.
Its just hard to think that you are on a level playing field when one guy is limited to where he can fish (BOQ only) and the next guy has the ability to run to a place to fish in a spot where the fish have never seen a lure.
I guess the real question is if you live on the bay and want to fish competatively but dont have the money for a big boat, and gas or have sponsors. Is the quinte series the right place for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:55 am 
Walleye Master

Well i am going to be frank, The guys that run the series, are nothing but first class, look at the stuff that is allready done for the guys that run the small boats, the top 115hp and under prizes..
I dont think i have ever heard them get credit for that.

The top guys in this series are Great embassadors for the sport of bass fishing, Great bunch..

I havent ran quinte, because no one will commit to it. get a ton of interest, but when i get real, and break down that a series like this costs around 2-3000 each, they quickly lose interest.
Matt do my numbers seem right ???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:26 am 
Walleye

In no way do I want to discredit anyone involved in running the QFS at all. I have heard alot of good things aout it for sure, which is why me and my partner have decided to fish it next year regardless.

the whole point of the topic was that I had heard a rumor that they were going to vote on wheather or not to cutt of access to the lake, and I was wondering if there was any truth to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:45 am 
Walleye

Well there is a lot of valid points from both sides. I have fished the QFS in the past and had a really good time but as a smaller boat owner it is very difficult for me to go to the big lake for the those large smallies. So for my opinion I do not sway to either side of this discussion but would like to throw in a little bit different discussion. Why not have a combined tournament with equal pay out spots to both the larger HP class and the 115 and under class. Not just the return of entry fees to 1 boat. Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else would participate in this type of event.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:24 am 
Jumbo Perch

there used to be tournaments for horsepower limited entries, I believe less than 100 hp.
Could there be 2 divisions in the Quinte series, so we could hang with the big guys but not break the bank or the boat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

I like the idea of tournaments have rules in place to ensure an even playing field. It might be a very good move.

Napanee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:06 pm 
Walleye Angler

I don't care if they cut the lake off or not I have a 115 on a stratos 186 XT and have won the 115hp team of the year back to back and in each year where at the top of the list with on cutting checks and each time largemouth won it. Im not bragging but in the last five years or so I have cut 7 checks in the series, I have been lucking and came second on smallies from in the Bay found them and they stayed. I can make the run to the lake but don't because I dont feel like wrenching on my boat after wards. I totally agree with the guys with the smaller boats that want to fish I encourage them too. Im the weigh master son and my dad encourages the little guys also because they make the series interesting also. Never worry about the guys running out there, do your own thing and catch fish because thats what I do :D . Maybe this year I will have a 20 foot boat but I can see me not running all the way out there to fish.

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I think there would be more interested if the QFS was limited to the BOQ. The series is run great regardless of change. I do wonder if there is any affect to the smallies that are caught in Lake O and then released in BOQ. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:40 pm 
Walleye Angler

Could it be the fact that there was so many dead smallies ??????

I heard that between the QFS and Basamania there were hundreds of dead fish.

How old is a 5lb. bass ??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:56 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

This is a question of timing of the season,Landshark and his team decided to run to Lake O as a stratagy,it paid off but they spent big$$ getting there and back,they took a chance ,there were big fish in the bay still,but more in lake O ,my team and I could have went out but we CHOSE to fish the bay,we had a 5lb fish in the box inside 10 mins of setting up,and got 3 more over the course of the day,with 1 big fish lost,my hats off to Landshark and his team,people are gonna say it shouldnt be allowed but there is no Lake O boundry cut-off in the rules as of yet so alls fair, its too bad to the guys with smaller boats that cant handle bigger water,its not anybodies fault you cant fish bigger water,the bay and Lake O can get nasty and rough,the guys that do run out there take chances on possibly not getting back on time for the weigh in if the weather turns on them,been there done that,then guys who played it safe usually win,there has been no foul committed here,they committee should stay the course,stick with the same format and be done with this issue,the bass tourneys run everywhere on the tours, some have specific boundries set and all obey them, if there are no boundries run where you like!!

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:38 pm 
Walleye Master

Chasin, i think that was a epic move, i diffently give them a hat of for making that.
They ran to there home water, were they knew the fish were.. other's fished lake ontario, picton ferry is generaly considered the cut line.

I will say it again, shark, diffently a smooth move, Had you been from kingston ,and were on good quality fish in your home waters, you would of ran to kingston.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:31 pm 
Walleye Master

You nailed it men. One thing we do need to remember is that tourney fishing is a form of gambling. I dont enter salmon tournies here in the states that I dont feel im competitive enough to fish. I wouldnt expect to fish a King Of The Lake event and be told I must stay within 1o miles of the tourney port. Just like life, you pick and choose what you have a chance to be successful in. I dont have a huge salmon boat and charter all the time like most guys that fish our big salmon tournies. I dont expect the committie to change the rules that boats must stay so close to port etc so that I can compete in all of them. Instead I do what a lot of guys do and pick and choose smaller tournies that are more suited to my level.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:53 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree with only entering tournys you are capable of. Like you say, why enter a tournament if you don't feel you will be competetive. (unless it's for fun) I just don't understand why Lake Ontario should be in the boundaries of a BOQ tournament. There's nothing stopping the bigger boats from entering a "true" BOQ tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 pm 
Walleye

My original question was directed more towards are they going to cut off the boundaries to try and attract more anglers. I believe everyone here truly understands the pros and cons of both sides.
I guess the true question is would you rather have 45 boats on no limits or 75 boats in a BOQ only tournament. Those numbers might be a little inflated but I think you get where im going with it.
Remember I already said I want to start fishing the series regardless of where you are allowed to fish.
Another thing to think about is if they are going to leave things the way they are why not launch a little closer to Lake O? That way on the calmer days the smaller boats might have more options.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:49 pm 
Baitfish

Well,

I personally hope that they change it, GREAT if you fish largemouth your only chance is on the opener or on days with bad weather. I like to fish competitively and for fun, so the chance to fish the Quinte Series without having to run 100km and still have a chance would be great. I understand both sides of the posts, but this is my personal feelings.

I can't wait for the results!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad