Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is it true?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:17 pm 
Walleye Angler

To respond to the original post... Yes, it looks like some options are being explored by the organizers that would keep Lake O smallies out of the equation. I plan to fish the Quinte Fishing Series next year regardless of what option, if any, is chosen. I say If you want a low cost, but competitive intro to tournament fishing join the Quinte Bass Anglers club. If you want to compete at a higher level, with much higher stakes, fish the QFS. Find a circuit or club that works for you and try it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:12 am 
Walleye Master

good on the organizers for putting the health and safety of the smallies in the forefront.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 am 
Walleye Master

What if it were a smallie max per box, that would lead to real strategy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 am 
Goby

I think The Quinte Fishing crew does an awesome job with series, and I dont believe any changes should be made. I understand why the opener is largemouth only and I agree with that to protect the smallmouth when they are bedding. As far as the rest of the tournaments being open waters, unless the weather is perfect there is not that many smallmouth being weighed in, and how often is the weather perfect for the lake? If you look back at all the results, it is the same fisherman winning largemouth or smallmouth, I personally think some of the guys winning are better largemouth fisherman than they are smallmouth fisherman. Guys like the Asseltines, Seeley, richardson, kerr, Nabulsi, Martin, will be winning no matter what colour the fish is.
I believe the numbers for the quinte series are down a little bit due to conflicting dates with other larger tournaments, and it seems like all numbers are down even FLW. Soo i dont think the reason is because the lake is open. With Bassmania having 2 days bay only and If quinte series goes bay only, it is defeating the purpose of trying to protect the fish, the bay will have way too much pressure just like a few years ago when there was boats everywhere lining the shorelines.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 am 
Walleye Master

Bassmania is a much larger series than the QFS.

why do they run a "bay only" restriction?

also, does the release boats release the smallies back in lake ontario, or are they released in the bay? (that might be another reason for looking at closing boundaries to the lake).

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 am 
Goby

bassmania have a bay only friday saturday and then the lake is open sunday.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

neilf wrote:
bassmania have a bay only friday saturday and then the lake is open sunday.

Note that this too is a change of direction by Bassmania; in 2011 they did 2 open and 1 bay-only. 2012 is 2 bay-only and 1 open.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 pm 
Perch

Don't quote me, but I also think it is pushed to aug 14/15, not the start of july.

Cheers,

Ben Clapp

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:17 pm 
Walleye Master

"also, does the release boats release the smallies back in lake ontario, or are they released in the bay? (that might be another reason for looking at closing boundaries to the lake)."

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I have fished the QFS for around 5 years...sat out this year for many reasons and did miss fishing it. As we've all said, it's a fantastic series and all of those involved do an incredible job keeping everything on track and fun.

Although I have a boat now that can run to the big water, it's not something I'm prepared to do. Costs, potential equipment / body damage etc and as well, I wanna fish and not spend a couple of hours travelling makes me stay.

I guess I consider myself what Big Jim calls a "donator" and spend the money with hopes of maybe catching big fish of the day for the payout but don't necessarily feel I can compete with the smallie factory out in the big water when it comes down to it. However, I've never felt any animosity towards those that do and with the Asselstines and others (Ryan) consistenly doing extremely well, shows that it can be done within the Bay only. But it takes time on the water.

Next year my hopes is that my father is well enough to be my partner; always my goal and our dream. However, I don't think it's in our best interested to head to the Lake for the above reasons as well as reasons due to his health and abilities. Either way, I know we'll be staying close but having a great time. :)

Do I hope that it changes to a BOQ only format? I'd like to see one and not a competition series to the QFS cause I know they do a fantastic job but - YES.

Should they do this because others can't compete if the big water is open? Not really. It can and has been done lots and wouldn't want to see people that run to the lake pull out.

I think it would be awesome to have each 2 day event as 1st day BOQ only, 2nd day open. Or although possibly an admin night-mare, seperate smallie and largies.

After fishing the CSFL open, I have to say that we're very fortunate to have the QFS and organizers who are a great group of people that are always willing to help, accommodate and keep things fun.

Phew...now I'm tired! :wink:

At this point, I'm pretty certain I'll be fishing next year with my Dad...can't wait to hear the results!

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:20 pm 
Minnow

I highly doubt that the fish are brought back to the lake for release. However, correct me if I'm wrong.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:21 pm 
Walleye Master

wow, so will changing the series to having more large mouth only days make you guys feel like you can be more competive ??
thats what they have done, have to say it was pretty smooth move.
wow, deffintly well thought out. Good job guys. keeps every one happy.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:51 am 
Walleye Master

i dont think a 'large mouth only' day is what is being requested....

its a quinte only tournie being requested by a few folks....locally at the local shops that is what i have also heard from qfs members...

and you know, there are still lots of smallies 'in' quinte.....

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:40 am 
Walleye Angler

The 2012 update has been put up for the series. Like I said before I didn't care what happen I think I can still compete against them if they do go for the smallmouth. Some guys may like the new set-up andd some may not? Everyone has there own opinon.

Ima Lures Pro Staff (www.imalures.com)
Jakked Baits Pro Staff (www.jakkedbaits.com)
Stratos Boats Pro Staff (www.stratosboats.com)
Bay Marine (www.bay-marine.com)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:09 am 
Walleye Master

The opening walleye tournament will stay a one (1) day event and will be on Sunday, May 27th, 2012.
• The opening bass event of 2012 will be a two (2) day tournament, largemouth bass only with open water. Date will be July 7/8th.
• The second bass tournament will also be a largemouth bass only event – open water and will be held on July 22nd.
• The second two (2) day tournament will be on August 11/12th and it will be a largemouth and/or smallmouth bass event – open water.
• The last qualifier for the Quinte Classic will be on August 26th and will also be a largemouth and/or smallmouth bass tournament – open water

Steve, well there alot of people to keep happy here, i think adding more large mouth, days means you can qualify for the classic with out ever fishing against the big lake smallies.
so are you going to fish it next year ??

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next